Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel...

Default Coaching Carousel...

But we don't play nobody.

Not many plum jobs. A few seem like places you should be able to win but they have a hard time finding the right coach. LSU in particular. Talent rich area and local kids seem to want to stay home fairly often. Have had some good teams under various coaches, but nobody has been able to sustain anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Not many plum jobs. A few seem like places you should be able to win but they have a hard time finding the right coach. LSU in particular. Talent rich area and local kids seem to want to stay home fairly often. Have had some good teams under various coaches, but nobody has been able to sustain anything there.
    Like none. Mizzou a mess. Guess UCSB would be fun.

John Groce-Illinois

I thought Quinnipiac showed flashes of a decent team when the Zags played them back in November. Guess it didn't turn out that way!

Lots of talk about Crean leaving Indiana for a "soft landing" job at Mizzou. He's not really on the hot seat, but is tired of all the job pressure.

Have heard very little about the NC State job. I've heard Archie isn't likely to take it. He's waiting for a blue blood.

Imagine trying to hire for the Alabama A&M job. Here's what we have to offer......11 straight road games and a bus to start off your season.

Default OT: SU fires Cameron Dollar

Seattle U. oughta make a bold move, hire Brian Michaelson to his first head coaching gig. He's smart enough and ready. Hate to see him go but that would be a nice opportunity for an upcoming coach. As long as they stay in the WAC, Zags fans in Seattle area would get behind the RedHawks.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Thanks Norwester. Just saw that over on the SMC Board. I started a thread on coaching changes a few days ago so added that on. Hope you don't mind; you got the scoop!

Definitely overdue. If they really want to roll the dice, how about the coach from Whitworth? It's D3, but they seem to be consistently excellent. OSU women's bball did something similar and it worked out brilliantly when they hired the coach from D3 George Fox.

Definitely overdue. If they really want to roll the dice, how about the coach from Whitworth? It's D3, but they seem to be consistently excellent. OSU women's bball did something similar and it worked out brilliantly when they hired the coach from D3 George Fox.
    A reuniting of Cameron Dollar and Lorenzo Romar in the future?

Hayford from Whitworth took the EWU job a few years ago, not sure his replacement has done enough yet to make that much noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Hayford from Whitworth took the EWU job a few years ago, not sure his replacement has done enough yet to make that much noise.
    Oops, my bad.

Oops, my bad.
    Matt Logie at Whitworth recently became the quickest to 100 wins for a career in D3 history.

Too bad that Elgin Baylor is too old.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitworthZAG View Post
    Matt Logie at Whitworth recently became the quickest to 100 wins for a career in D3 history.
    Cool! I saw they got to the Elite 8 this year.

SU should hire the best coach that they can afford...I would go with a proven head coach...a winning head coach...assuming they want to build a program that could get them to the NCAA Tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I would go with a proven head coach
    It's not exactly a destination job. WAC is near the bottom of the barrel for conferences out West, and completely overshadowed by UW in Seattle. Could be really hard to draw a proven coach. Thus my suggestion of going after a coach from a lower level who wins at a high rate.

BRANDON ROY?

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    A reuniting of Cameron Dollar and Lorenzo Romar in the future?
    In the unemployment line?
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    SU should hire the best coach that they can afford...I would go with a proven head coach...a winning head coach...assuming they want to build a program that could get them to the NCAA Tourney.
    Which would include a proven, winning, D2 or D3 coach.

I think we at GU have a conflict of interest when it comes to the SU program. GU does some decent recruiting in Seattle and a significantly improved SU basketball program might eventually interfere with GU recruiting in the region. But other than the potential impact on GU recruiting, I would love to see SU become a serious BB power. They are located in one of the great cities in the US, they have a very nice campus and a great educational system, they are located near some of the powerhouse employers in the USA (Amazon anyone?), and I would love to see them back as a top 50 team in the next couple years.

See you in SLC - Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

SU is light years away from taking recruits from GU. It's a non issue for now. UW and GU compete head to head for recruits sometimes, but as has been discussed ad nauseum most of the Seattle area kids just don't want to go to GU for whatever reasons.

HS talent from the Puget Sound area that don't go to Pac 12 schools often end up at various Big Sky, Big West or WAC schools. A few of them turn out to be quite good at the college level. D.J. Fenner at Nevada is one such player (I think he was on the Zags' radar for a while).

I looked at the Seattle U. roster. Almost half of them are international. US players are from all over the place. Several from Western Washington, none I really remember hearing about when they were in HS. Looks like they get whoever they can to fill out a roster, not really a threat to anybody at this point on the recruiting trail.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Which would include a proven, winning, D2 or D3 coach.
    Of course....I remember a decade when they were toughest basketball ticket in town...maybe in the Northwest...well as far as Beaver Town...before they pulled the plug...

But of course that was when there was no NBA team there and UW Basketball was in free fall.....hummmm