Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Coaching Carousel...

ZagZombie has that always been your avatar? Didn't notice before but that's the singer Lights isn't it. Just discovered her recently.

Correct, I've used her for a few years, I just rarely post comments

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Seems like a no-brainer to me that Seattle U has a much higher ceiling than Eastern just due to location and a bit of history. Got a very good pg coming in, the kid from West Seattle.
    Was more looking at the leagues, maynard. Big Sky just seems more stable to me. Plus SU has no on campus facility & uw (i.e. Pac 12) will continue to get the better players in the area, IMO.

Again, seems pretty lateral.
    "If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

Jordan Mathews, upon GU ascending to #1

My first thoughts were its a step down, almost like going back to Whitworth. Maybe if he turns it around, they haven't had much success in recent years, he jumps for pac12 asstistant job? Cost of living has to cancel out the pay increase. Maybe the new challenge of improving the program? Still left wondering though why he would leave the Big Sky Conf for the Wac? Anyone have some good answers?

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Was more looking at the leagues, maynard. Big Sky just seems more stable to me. Plus SU has no on campus facility & uw (i.e. Pac 12) will continue to get the better players in the area, IMO.

Again, seems pretty lateral.
    All true, but imo Hayford can get better players to come to Seattle U than he can get to Cheney. Apparently he thinks so too. And he plays a high scoring style that kids like. If he can keep Nate Pryor he has a pg to build around. At the game I attended, Pryor was good enough that they had a lead on Nathan Hale, the national #1, going into the 4th quarter. Nettles from Seattle Prep is pretty good too.

Indy Star feature on Tom Crean:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...k-he/99863548/

Really moving piece. I don't know Crean or Doyel or Parrish from Shinola, but the article was compelling.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“For me, I just want our guys to play our best when our best is needed. If they do that, then good on them. I think we can compete with anybody in the country on any particular night.” - Mark Few

Anthony grant, Thunder assistant and former head coach at VCU and Bama headed to Dayton.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by hegotit! View Post
    My first thoughts were its a step down, almost like going back to Whitworth. Maybe if he turns it around, they haven't had much success in recent years, he jumps for pac12 asstistant job? Cost of living has to cancel out the pay increase. Maybe the new challenge of improving the program? Still left wondering though why he would leave the Big Sky Conf for the Wac? Anyone have some good answers?
    The WAC was 17th nationally while the big Sky was 26th. So I think it is a decent step up. Plus, GCU is a good addition to that league and is willing to invest in basketball. Finally, there are only 8 WAC teams so you have more flexibility in scheduling pay games or resume builders.

As well as the fact that there are more recruits in the Seattle area and less competition for them. I'd argue it is a significantly better job.

"If we saved the world, there would be a comment that we should have done it faster."

Scott Sutton at ORU fired after 18 years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...079155552.html
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Indy Star feature on Tom Crean:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...k-he/99863548/

Really moving piece. I don't know Crean or Doyel or Parrish from Shinola, but the article was compelling.
    I believe he was the Coach of the Year, last year.....this makes no sense to me.....I like Tom, his brothers in law, not so much. If he doesn't want to coach anymore , I think he would have a career in Television..

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Scott Sutton at ORU fired after 18 years.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...079155552.html
    "ORU players were also barred from making any comments."

Impressive, on several levels.

Portland St. hires Santa Clara Asst:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...ed_to_nam.html

Good luck to the next ORU coach, this policy is crazy.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...452da25e8.html

After Wilson became the university president in June 2013, sources report, he presented to the basketball program a new guideline — that ORU would attempt to recruit only professed Christians.
    Instead of recruiting any athlete who was a solid person and academically acceptable while outfitted with the ability to contend for Summit League championships, Scott Sutton did as he was told, sources say. Instead of signing athletes and hoping they might be inspired by the ORU culture, Sutton narrowed his focus to prospects who would testify that they already were Christian.
    The results were undeniable. Top to bottom, the last two ORU rosters weren’t as talented as previous Sutton-coached rosters.
    Some other stuff was put in place too, like "no visible tatoos".

Oral Roberts was considered to be the founder of the "Prosperity Gospel" , I guess it's not working.
    Birddog

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Good luck to the next ORU coach, this policy is crazy.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...452da25e8.html

Some other stuff was put in place too, like "no visible tatoos".
    That's fine, but then you gotta' have the Coaches back. He finds out from fans @ his daughter's tennis match? That's about as weak as it gets.