Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who starts at center next year IF....

Default Who starts at center next year IF....

I know this has been talked about in other threads, but with Collins rising on the draft boards I wanted this topic to have its own thread. If Collins leaves after this year and we don't get a grad transfer, who starts at center next year? I don't think Few has ever started a freshman center, so Larson doesn't seem likely. Edwards is forever in the doghouse, so he is out. Even though it won't have a traditional Few look, I'm guessing he goes with Tillie and Williams starting and sharing duties guarding the other team's center. I saw that there are two undeclared centers in the top 10 for the 2017 class and wish we could grab one by showing off how we got a backup big into the first round (ala Kentucky) but I know that won't happen. Thoughts?

Yeah, the front court depth is going to be a big concern if Collins leaves. Edwards is done, minutes-wise, so the answer is probably out there on the graduate transfer or juco wire unfortunately - the team just isn't high profile enough to grab an undeclared top 10 center this late in the recruiting cycle. We just don't know how Larsen's going to be, and if I recall correctly he's had injury issues prior to his current situation which is never a good sign, but he'll at least be coming in off the bench. Williams & Tillie would definitely be the penciled-in starters.

I still think Collins comes back. Patience will be rewarded in his case.

A transfer
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Tille or Larsen. No worries either way.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Tille or Larsen. No worries either way.
    I don't think Tillie is in any way, shape or form a center. He's a pf and a very good one at that. If the reports outta fall camp are accurate, I think Larsen will start or a grad transfer.

Larsen/Williams/Tillie/Edwards/Rui/Transfer are the bigs if Collins decides to leave early.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    I don't think Tillie is in any way, shape or form a center. He's a pf and a very good one at that. If the reports outta fall camp are accurate, I think Larsen will start or a grad transfer.
    Our current center doesn't even take the jumps. Sabonis and Wiltjer were NOT centers... yet they did pretty good anyhow.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

In today's college game, two power forwards on the court at the same time are common. We'll be fine.

Larsen. It would get real interesting if Williams also left for pros...

Our current center doesn't even take the jumps. Sabonis and Wiltjer were NOT centers... yet they did pretty good anyhow.
    Hey, when you are 7' and 300lbs+ jumping is a waste of energy!

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Hey, when you are 7' and 300lbs+ jumping is a waste of energy!

Thanks for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    In today's college game, two power forwards on the court at the same time are common. We'll be fine.
    I think this was what I was trying to say... less eloquently. Thanks Tex.

I think this was what I was trying to say... less eloquently. Thanks Tex.
    Yeah, but you beat me by a minute, lol.

ETA: our bigs will be more than adequate next year. College hoops is driven by guard play, and we are set up for the next 2-3 years. The balance of this year's team is truly historic.

OK, don't mean to derail, but this is something that comes organically out of the Center discussion. Given Tillie's quickness and ball skills, wouldn't he make sense at the SF?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    OK, don't mean to derail, but this is something that comes organically out of the Center discussion. Given Tillie's quickness and ball skills, wouldn't he make sense at the SF?
    He probably could, but we're loaded there with Rui, Kispert and ZN. Killian is needed at the pf where it's just him and JW III.

Time for Few to start peaking his head around the rowing team again.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Time for Few to start peaking his head around the rowing team again.
    Please explain.

The Zag rowing team had a big kid who practiced with the Zags bball team a few years back.

Playing two power forwards at center is one thing. Playing two under-sized power forwards at center is something else entirely. Particularly for a program whose calling card has included big, hard post up centers.

We definitely need Collins to come back. Larson is a nice looking kid with some size, but not ready to step in and play extended minutes next year. I've seen him working out and he needs to really strengthen his lower body. He is pretty thin and needs to put on some weight. Losing Collins would be really tough.

Zags will be fine. Traditional positions have been increasingly obsolete, and Few seems to be very adept at fitting his scheme to his roster. Obviously it's ideal to have a guy like Karnowski, Sacre, or Collins in the middle. But I believe the set of returnees would do just fine, and I do believe the Zags will likely seek out a grad transfer if necessary.

I don't think y'all are giving Edwards enough credit for upside. PK was a bumbling fool when he came in, I remember he couldn't stay on his feet. Anytime he got touched, he was on his ass. Edwards needs to get his diet and conditioning together, but he has good foot work, and a nice touch around the rim. I think he could be a solid rotation guy with a few summar classes from Zags Big Man U.

He probably could, but we're loaded there with Rui, Kispert and ZN. Killian is needed at the pf where it's just him and JW III.
    Loaded? Hardly. Well, loaded with inexperience and question marks. Killie is battle hardened and a quintessential SF.

Edwards looks fine when he gets a little run in garbage minutes. I think that ship has sailed though. Clearly Few didn't really trust him last year after Karno got hurt and he was literally the only other big on the roster after Wiltjer and Sabonis. Got the fewest minutes possible to give the starters just a tiny bit of rest. He is a 4th year Jr., I don't think there's much upside left. What he is right now is what he will be beyond this season. He might look to some of us like he deserves more minutes, but I think if it hasn't happened by now it's not going to happen. Regardless of who leaves or who comes in next year, I don't think Edwards will ever be a starter or major rotation guy at GU. Just my opinion obviously, but I think there's ample evidence to support it.