Thread: WashPost dives into Zag stats

Default WashPost dives into Zag stats

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.80171d58206f

According to Synergy Sports, Gonzaga is scoring 1.44 points per Karnowski pass — no other Division I player passes out of the post more with as much efficiency.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Great article.

Don't read the comments. Every time, I look at them, thinking, "Oh, maybe I'll be in for a pleasant surprise and a good, narrative-free, fact-based discussion." And every time, I leave disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    Great article.

Don't read the comments. Every time, I look at them, thinking, "Oh, maybe I'll be in for a pleasant surprise and a good, narrative-free, fact-based discussion." And every time, I leave disappointed.
    The comments were not unexpected. Now that Duke has a two game winning street, the "Office Dukie" is conversational again. Naturally, his first comment was, "Zags don't deserve to be ranked #1."

What's amazing are the amount of people who don't understand that kenpom accounts for strength of schedule. The author of this article should've pointed this out at the beginning, because it is something the GU bashers don't get.

While I cannot guarantee it (it's still likely a one bid league), Akron has got a fantastic chance of making the NCAA tourney. The Zags beat the Zips by 19. I still wouldn't rule out Iowa State either if they can protect their home floor.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    What's amazing are the amount of people who don't understand that kenpom accounts for strength of schedule. The author of this article should've pointed this out at the beginning, because it is something the GU bashers don't get.

While I cannot guarantee it (it's still likely a one bid league), Akron has got a fantastic chance of making the NCAA tourney. The Zags beat the Zips by 19. I still wouldn't rule out Iowa State either if they can protect their home floor.
    i agree with all of this. i'm also fairly confident that none of those commenting negatively have watched much zag hoops this season. they're just recycling the same old worn out critiques from years past so they don't have to stay up late and actually watch a game. nothing worse than a lazy, ill informed hater.

There are only 9 comments to the WaPo story and 1 is mine. So, they aren't all the same old, same old. It would not surprise me at all that those who have commented (other than me) have not watched a single Zags game. I'm hoping they'll all have to watch one in March (or April)
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    There are only 9 comments to the WaPo story and 1 is mine. So, they aren't all the same old, same old. It would not surprise me at all that those who have commented (other than me) have not watched a single Zags game. I'm hoping they'll all have to watch one in March (or April)
    duly noted. i definitely should have bracketed off the 1 (maybe 2?) positive comments i saw. glad to see you out there defending the zags. we need you on that wall!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    i agree with all of this. i'm also fairly confident that none of those commenting negatively have watched much zag hoops this season. they're just recycling the same old worn out critiques from years past so they don't have to stay up late and actually watch a game. nothing worse than a lazy, ill informed hater.
    That's not an opinion. That's a FACT. The key part in all of this.

I've watched : Duke (2-4 times) , Kentucky (about the same) , Villanova, Virginia, Kansas (a few times), Baylor etc. I can go on and on. I have the Big10 Network majority to all those teams would struggle vs Zags team this year on ANY court.

People talk like they know Zags, but they don't.

I was pleased that the article pointed out the efficiency of Karno's passing, which obviously includes players on the receiving end. Zag's average 1.44 points per Karnowski pass out of the post. According to the writer that measure of efficiency is the best in the nation.

Negative commenters don't matter. What do they know?

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

What's even more amazing is that, judging by their comments, they didn't even read the article, OR they think they know more than the professional sports writer!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I don't stay up late to watch Zag games! There has been little about the last several games that is griping enough to keep me awake. I have to watch on DVR the next day for most games (5:00 AM comes early regardless of Zag games).

You have to understand that ACC fans believe that their schools play top 10 teams every game. All 15 teams are in the top 10. Georgia Tech, Miami, Pitt - all top tier teams. We don't know what it is like to have to play on the road against teams like that....
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I suspect that - among the hoop junkies in that crowd - many more of them will watch the BYU game than would normally do so. Many of them, probably, hope to prove themselves right. "I'll watch how this silly little team plays, likely gets beat by BYU." - BYU has a football team, they got 'cred. Santa Clara doesn't.

Even in normal seasons I hope to beat BYU by 20.

35 - that's what I want.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

duly noted. i definitely should have bracketed off the 1 (maybe 2?) positive comments i saw. glad to see you out there defending the zags. we need you on that wall!
    No prob I only commented once I saw this thread. My comment may not have been there during much of this discussion I'd guess at least 1/2 of those slamming the Zags online have not watched a Zag game this season - and it's more likely much less than 1/2.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    What's even more amazing is that, judging by their comments, they didn't even read the article, OR they think they know more than the professional sports writer!
    Many, if not most "professional sports writers" east of the Mississippi are as clueless about the Zags as their audience. The east coast bias is real, and will remain in perpetuity.