Thread: CBS Top 25 & 1

Default CBS Top 25 & 1

And the biggest winner on the night? Besides college basketball fans?

Mark Few and the No. 3 Gonzaga Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs don't play until Thursday, when they face San Diego at home (9 p.m. ET, ESPN3). They're in position to take over the No. 1 ranking for the first time since the 2012-13 season, when they held it for the final three weeks including going into the NCAA tournament.

Gonzaga (20-0) might back into the top spot, but it is by no means a fraud. The Bulldogs upgraded their athleticism with Washington transfer Nigel Williams-Goss, Johnathan Williams and California transfer Jordan Mathews. They get solid post play from 7-foot-1 center Przemek Karnowski. They're deep and experienced.

The Zags' résumé includes victories over then-No. 21 Iowa State, current No. 25 Florida and current No. 7 Arizona, which was without Allonzo Trier at the time.

If Gonzaga does get voted No. 1 on Monday -- which would mark the sixth time this season the poll has a new top team -- that top spot might not change hands again. The Zags are the only unbeaten left in college basketball, and their toughest two games -- at BYU and at No. 21 Saint Mary’s -- might be the only two games remaining they aren't favored to win.

Then again, Tuesday night should teach us a thing about assuming favorites will win. That's why it's called madness.
    http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebask...he-mighty-fall

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Thanks for the memories.

I'd advise staying away from the comments section. A lot of what you'd expect...we didn't play anyone, conference is soft, we never play to our seed, etc. Evidence be damned, their gut feeling is that we're not deserving! I guess this alt facts thing is catching on on bigly.

I am happy for Barnes, he has had a sterling record at Texas...but they are like ravens and chose to go for the bright and shinny object.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    I'd advise staying away from the comments section. A lot of what you'd expect...we didn't play anyone, conference is soft, we never play to our seed, etc. Evidence be damned, their gut feeling is that we're not deserving! I guess this alt facts thing is catching on on bigly.
    Shows that they don't actually read the articles
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Most impressive for me is that we beat Vols and Vols took out Kentucky.
    Lets keep this winning streak going until this Fall!!

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am happy for Barnes, he has had a sterling record at Texas...but they are like ravens and chose to go for the bright and shinny object.....
    Rick was a great coach at PC as well.....and a classy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    Shoot why ever stop winning?

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Anyone who has an issue with Gonzaga's number one ranking, IF it occurs, needs to be directed to this site:

http://kenpom.com/

Because Pomeroy factors in SoS, any argument that the BCS homers use will be squashed if you use this site. The Zags are also one of only two teams right now to have an offensive and defensive efficiency ranking in the top 10.

Some folks might argue that if Kansas knocks off Kentucky on Saturday, that they should jump the Zags. The problem with this is that KU has 2 losses, and even if they beat the Wildcats, they will still be quite a bit behind the Zags in the kenpom standings. They also lost by 16 at WVU, and it has become obvious that their lack post depth is really hurting their defense (when was the last time you've seen a Self-coached team with a defensive efficiency in the 40's??) The only other team that might have an argument is the one loss Baylor team. That squad still has a nice resume.

But at some point, the only team with the unbeaten record has to take over until they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
    the transitive property doesn't really mean much in college basketball...but it does look nice.

The ZAGS jump up to #6 in RPI, and St Mary's to 16. IF Zags can win at St Mary's and at BYU, there should be no doubt that the Zags are worthy of a #1 ranking. Tenessee's victory over Kentucky was huge for the Zags. That victory put Iowa St #25, Tenessee #36, and Akron #37 into the top 50 in the RPI ranking system. That should give us 7 victories over teams ranked 1-50. It's making OOC schedule look pretty good. Arizona's win over UCLA makes us look pretty good too, as they are raned 5.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
    You know the really uninformed when their remarks center on the years-ago loss to UCLA. I just don't have the heart to tell them that demon was exorcised two years ago in Houston.

A UCLA loss to a team that was better than Gonzaga, had more NBA players than Gonzaga, and was seeded higher than Gonzaga. And that was favored by Vegas to beat Gonzaga. And that made the national title game. That Gonzaga team was also terrible defensively. As great as they were, GU had to outscore people to win. Not so with this bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    A UCLA loss to a team that was better than Gonzaga, had more NBA players than Gonzaga, and was seeded higher than Gonzaga. And that was favored by Vegas to beat Gonzaga. And that made the national title game. That Gonzaga team was also terrible defensively. As great as they were, GU had to outscore people to win. Not so with this bunch.
    Despite all that they still had to pull it out of their backside. This team when healthy is as good as ANYONE.

I believe they were #170 defensively. That's atrocious. Still shoulda beat UCLA anyway. But yes we did get sweet revenge

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Anyone who has an issue with Gonzaga's number one ranking, IF it occurs, needs to be directed to this site:

http://kenpom.com/

Because Pomeroy factors in SoS, any argument that the BCS homers use will be squashed if you use this site. The Zags are also one of only two teams right now to have an offensive and defensive efficiency ranking in the top 10.

Some folks might argue that if Kansas knocks off Kentucky on Saturday, that they should jump the Zags. The problem with this is that KU has 2 losses, and even if they beat the Wildcats, they will still be quite a bit behind the Zags in the kenpom standings. They also lost by 16 at WVU, and it has become obvious that their lack post depth is really hurting their defense (when was the last time you've seen a Self-coached team with a defensive efficiency in the 40's??) The only other team that might have an argument is the one loss Baylor team. That squad still has a nice resume.

But at some point, the only team with the unbeaten record has to take over until they lose.
    Interesting that KenPom has UCLA at #14...
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Diminishing returns during his latter years. Also underachieved relative to the amount of talent he got in Austin. Although the Smart tenure is looking dubious so far. Even w/ last night's huge win Tennessee is only 11-9, Barnes isn't exactly tearing it up in Nashville (15-19 last year).

How are Smart/Texas doing ?

Pretty, pretty, pretty, bad.
    I walked over 20 miles to watch the Zags

How are Smart/Texas doing ?
    Pretty quiet down here, alums are looking to the future, as last year's recruiting class was top 5.

If Harmon can turn around the football program, no one's going to really care about basketball.

For example, the main topic of discussion in DFW is where Tony Romo will end up. Nobody gives a hoot about how bad the Mavericks are this year, or what the Rangers are going to look like in a month. Dallas Stars, SMU basketball?

All eyes are on next Wednesday, National Signing Day for college football.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high...ay-dallas-area

Everything you need to know about 2017 national signing day in the Dallas area

As I said, Smart isn't doing well at Texas. It seemed like a good hire, he'd been a hot property for several years while at VCU. It's not working out so far. Hard to predict these things. Doesn't mean Texas made the wrong call moving on from Barnes. His tenure had gotten really stale, they weren't trending the right direction. Should they have kept him in place and let him go 20-12 and lose in the first round of the Tourney w/ several NBA draft picks on his team for another 5 years or so? (I looked it up, after going 28-8 in '10-'11 his records at Texas were 20-14, 16-18, 24-11, 20-14; nothing to be excited about).

Barnes is combined 26-28 in 1 1/2 seasons at Tennessee, not making a case for being a great coach. I'd say previous coaches Don DeVoe, Jerry Green, Bruce Pearl and Cuonzo Martin were all significantly more successful than Barnes has been so far.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    As I said, Smart isn't doing well at Texas. It seemed like a good hire, he'd been a hot property for several years while at VCU. It's not working out so far. Hard to predict these things. Doesn't mean Texas made the wrong call moving on from Barnes. His tenure had gotten really stale, they weren't trending the right direction. Should they have kept him in place and let him go 20-12 and lose in the first round of the Tourney w/ several NBA draft picks on his team for another 5 years or so? (I looked it up, after going 28-8 in '10-'11 his records at Texas were 20-14, 16-18, 24-11, 20-14; nothing to be excited about).

Barnes is combined 26-28 in 1 1/2 seasons at Tennessee, not making a case for being a great coach. I'd say previous coaches Don DeVoe, Jerry Green, Bruce Pearl and Cuonzo Martin were all significantly more successful than Barnes has been so far.
    Univ. of Texas is a worlds apart from VCU. Different culture, wildly different expectations. Not sure you can play the same style that he had at VCU, simply because opposing teams in the Big 12 have athletes/players that are just as good.

Add to that the media scrutiny that's applied to the most watched school in Texas. It's a tough, tough job.

Key word was SEEMED like a good hire. Maybe they give him another year or two and if he doesn't turn it around start over again. Regardless they made the right choice moving on. Barnes overall had a good career at Texas but it was time to go a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Not sure you can play the same style that he had at VCU, simply because opposing teams in the Big 12 have athletes/players that are just as good.
    Isn't that basically what WVU is doing pretty successfully the last couple years? In the Big 12.