Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Facebook ever die?

Default Will Facebook ever die?

Or get eclipsed by some new thing?

Or is it simply too large, too established, too much a part of the lives of billions?

I think it's hard to say. There really isn't a precedent for this kind of company and its deep integration with people.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I hope not...it is my largest single holding by far.....it closed today at $128 and the price target is $160/share....it is just getting started...it reports after the Market closes on Feb 2.....I expect a beat on estimates.

You could say that Amazon and Priceline are examples of fast growth to capture market share....but who knows...

Microsoft, Google, they have code that backs up everything as a trade secret.

Facebook has an idea, and its power is in its penetration (which is amazing to me, b/c I recall the first time I saw a business that said "See our Facebook Page" and thought - "You have to be sh*tting me."

I think it's possible that something could come along that offers far more flexibility, more security, and then it would be like lemmings - everyone would leave.

Isn't it like one of those assets that's primary asset is that everyone else uses that asset? Like the old Beta versus VHS format? Everyone knew Beta was the better product, but VHS gained value b/c most people simply had VHS and it became a positive feedback loop - same as MS versus Apple for a long time, when they weren't compatible, everyone knew Apple was the better product, but because most businesses had MS - the very presence of MS created a positive feedback loop in value.

I don't want to see Bart lose his money, but I do want to see Facebook die. The guy is about as evil as ....well, the movie portrayed him to be.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Cherl Sandberg is a alchemist ....

To the OP's question:

Facebook will never die. It's the Bob Barker of the internet.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Or get eclipsed by some new thing?

Or is it simply too large, too established, too much a part of the lives of billions?

I think it's hard to say. There really isn't a precedent for this kind of company and its deep integration with people.
    All things die eventuall, but FB has been amazing in its innovations, its acquisitions and its new product offerings, especially for business (advertising!)

What's Facebook? I'm hanging out on MySpace with my friend Tom hahaha.

QUOTE=bartruff1;1270777]I hope not...it is my largest single holding by far.....it closed today at $128 and the price target is $160/share....it is just getting started...it reports after the Market closes on Feb 2.....I expect a beat on estimates.

You could say that Amazon and Priceline are examples of fast growth to capture market share....but who knows...[/QUOTE]

Like the Hawk, Facebook will never die (at least for a while ) ....they had a blowout report...... income at 3.6 Billion as opposed to 1.6 Billion last year....stock now trading at $136/share....this is good..

EDT that this stock has sold off after making a new high....last time it went from 133 to 115.... sooo this is probably not a good time to buy....but to sell..
    Last edited by bartruff1; 02-01-2017 at 03:05 PM.

All things internet and/or computer related can die... no matter how big

Examples:
    WordPerfect... was THE word processor of the 80s and early 90s. While it technically exists today... nobody uses it.
    Novell Netware... the definition of networking in the 80s and 90s... done. Hasn't been updated in almost 10 years.
    MySpace... I mean it exists, but anyone who uses it still as a social media platform is out of touch.

JMHO... politics will be the death of Facebook. It is driving people away.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Hopefully they won't go broke before they report on 4/25/17.....their conference call warned that they expect to make significant investments this year.....

The judgement against them (and others) for 500 million is on appeal..... but in any case.... would not effect earning by more than a dime...they have 29 Billion in cash...

I killed facebook in November of 2015. Third best decision of my life. Doing that is probably the only thing that got me through 2016 without being forced to disown all of my friends and family. I hope it does die. Sorry, bartruff.
    I wear a helmet while internetting.

I just went there to see what the deal was and then I cancelled my membership....it is not for me....but there are some 1.8 Billion people who waste hours on it every day....and it is arguably the best stock in the Market...no doubt I will die before it does and that is good news for my heirs...

It's a little like heroin.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    It's a little like heroin.
    Toxic and addictive

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

I doubt Facebook will die in the next 10 years.

It closed today at near $153/share and will report 1st quarter earnings after the Market close tomorrow, Weds. May 3rd.

I suspect they will report a blow out quarter, but the stock will likely drop on the " buy on the rumor, sell on the fact " trading strategy.

If you assume, that corporate taxes will go down, regulations will be reduced, overseas profits will be repatriated and that Facebook will be free to sell users information.....and that they will eventually get into China .....the stock should do well.

Since it is obvious now that in fact ....anyone naturally born and over 35 can be elected President , there is increasing speculation that Zuckerberg will run for President....after all..... he can afford it........ he can identify issues that people are concerned about..... he has more information about individual voters than anyone has ever had ........and the ability to contact millions of them with just a few clicks...

That's really interesting, I never really thought about that but relatively speaking, I'm not that afraid of the founder of Facebook being president, or for that matter the kid who played him in the Social Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    That's really interesting, I never really thought about that but relatively speaking, I'm not that afraid of the founder of Facebook being president, or for that matter the kid who played him in the Social Network.
    Sheryl Sandberg is the smart one...she is the one that turned both Google and Facebook into gold mines..... She recently lost her husband to a heart problem in Mexico and appears (to me) to be depressed and has written a book in a attempt to move on as a single mother....she is a amazing person and would make a great President....IMHO of course.....

Facebook is alive and well with 2 billion subscribers.....closing at about $167/share and up after hours on quarterly report of earnings up 45% and revenue up 71%.

They have multiple revenue streams that they are not yet exploiting...

The curse of any technology company is complacency and rigidness. WordPerfect... refused to make a windows version.. thought their monopoly on business machines allowed them to dictate what the market wanted and/or needed. Death by rigidness and complacency.

If Facebook continues to tweak and adjust to the needs of the consumer they'll be around for a long time.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

They opened up at 174 this morning....

I agree, most of these young men that create these companies lose their way, but the path for Facebook is right there for the taking and they are investing in their future....

they appear to be Trump proof but if he precipitates a collapse in the Economy and they go down with the whole Market....

that would be a opportunity, not a problem.

Deactivated my Facebook account last night. I got tired of all things Facebook. Here is a short list of why I did it.

Political #####ing and moaning both sides of the aisle I am just tired of it.
    Manufactured personal tragedies
    Getting poked because some people still think that's a thing
    Getting tagged in everything
    Friends who feel the need to comment on everything you post
    Family members who constantly Facebook stalk you. Hey I noticed you you were at the Mariners game it was rude of you not to swing by and visit us while you were in town.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    Deactivated my Facebook account last night. I got tired of all things Facebook. Here is a short list of why I did it.

Family members who constantly Facebook stalk you. Hey I noticed you you were at the Mariners game it was rude of you not to swing by and visit us while you were in town.
    You could still be writing and not have covered a quarter of it.

If I never see a puppy again, I'll be .... and i'm a dog person!

It's sort of a necessary evil in my work, and it has allowed me to catch up with old friends - but that's it, that's it' sole worth.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post

And the usual SAHM talk I can do without:
    What you found at Target (or that you spend most days of the week there, I go maybe twice a year).
    How butter soft one company's leggings are and how that's the new mom uniform.
    How long my eyelashes can grow if I cough up a mortgage payment each month.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    You could still be writing and not have covered a quarter of it.
    That's why I stuck to a short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    How butter soft one company's leggings are and how that's the new mom uniform.
    My wife complains almost weekly that she has been invited to another lululemon party.