Thread: Devin Culp decommits from UO

Default Devin Culp decommits from UO

G-Prep's Devin Culp has decommitted from Oregon football. He was identified early as a basketball prospect until more recent success as a football wide receiver. I wonder if he might be open to college basketball again?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...l-title-forma/

Kid is a stud football player. That is his sport. Nice basketball player, but his ceiling in football is very high.

Not close to a Zag caliber bb recruit from what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    G-Prep's Devin Culp has decommitted from Oregon football. He was identified early as a basketball prospect until more recent success as a football wide receiver. I wonder if he might be open to college basketball again?

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...l-title-forma/
    I don't blame him. Oregon football is going nowhere fast. Better to get out now when he still can than to be stuck in a losing program that is headed south.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Not close to a Zag caliber bb recruit from what I saw.
    Kid is D1 for football. You know when you watch high level high school football and there are a few players that just stand out. Like when you played Little League and there were players that were accused of being 3 years too old? Oregon was never the right place for him though. He's raw, hasn't been playing long but has all the tools. "Deezy" has a bright future. He isn't the best player on his own team for basketball however. Anton Watson takes that honor and he's getting some serious looks. (I have no idea from who just that they are D1)

Not sure either are Zag level recruits, but we haven't had any local for some time. Watson is the best to come around for a while, just has a ways to go.

Saw this tweet yesterday --did not think anything of it as I thought he was an Oregon guy for good-- now it makes better sense.

Pia Culp Retweeted
    Dennis_DeYoung ‏@Dennis_DY_UW Jan 8
    @LarsHanson @Rivals @UWDawgReport @_DevinCulp_ @TFordFSP @adamgorney I love this kid. He will be a baller if he comes to UW.

You can tell by watching Culp play basketball now that he's just playing to play. He's all about football.

Watson sure looks like a Zag recruit to me. Kid is only a sophomore and a young one at that I hear.

Cup will be a football guy. Prone to injury. Not sure where he'd get better football unless UW.
    As a basketball player, he doesn't seem very interested. Good athlete though.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    You can tell by watching Culp play basketball now that he's just playing to play. He's all about football.

Watson sure looks like a Zag recruit to me. Kid is only a sophomore and a young one at that I hear.
    I have only seen Watson once, that being last week, against CV. I was very impressed with Watson and shocked that he was only a sophomore. The kid can play. He scored in a variety of ways, mostly down low as he is listed at 6'7" and the tallest on the team. He even made a 3 from the right corner. He made it tough for CV's Ryan Rehkow a 6'5" senior who is pretty fundamentally sound. A furious too late comeback by CV made it seem closer than the 63-58 final. And CV is a defensive minded team. I did see Tommy Lloyd at the game, but his son had just played in the JV game just before.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

How tall is Watson?

Speaking of local kids, I don't know if he's quite at the GU level - Naje Smith of LC - though I've heard from people who know that he's a high major prospect. I had a chance to see him play at LC and was extremely impressed. Plays very hard, never taking a play off. Long. Not sure if he can shoot well.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4958313/naje-smith

http://www.scout.com/college/washing...spects-2018-19

Scout says he has high interest from UW, GU, Boise State and Oregon State, though who knows what that means. I know he's well-liked around school. He's a junior this year. I would like to know what others think b/c the one game I saw, he was a monster.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    How tall is Watson?
    The Prep roster has him listed as 6'7".
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I don't blame him. Oregon football is going nowhere fast. Better to get out now when he still can than to be stuck in a losing program that is headed south.
    One down year doesn't compare to the Huskies' 15 or so. Helfrich was the wrong guy. One wrong guy compared to your string running from Lambo through Sark. Huskies have one of the best in the business now. Twelve in a row will live forever, though.

Taggart may or may not be the guy. Time will tell, but he's built winners at two places that did nothing before.

Kids decommit all the time when there's a coaching change. Ducks are bringing in a Harbaugh/Stanford guy, so they're gonna be playing a different style than the one Culp committed to play in.