Thread: USF has Hops!

Default USF has Hops!

And barley..

A report from this roaming reporter on site at War Memorial. Sorry a bit delinquent, but wanted to let you know they were serving brew, beer, suds, barley pop at the game. From Bud Light to a few nice IPAs. Is this a new thing for WCC games in 2017? Does anyone know if we can expect this at the Kennel in the future? I'm sure it's not likely at the Marriott Center

Certainly help make a more relaxed feel at USF, since most all games have been nail biters in the past.

Mods move as needed if already discussed....
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

And they're gonna need them.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And they're gonna need them.
    This is surprising. I did not know alcohol was allowed at any NCAA functions on campus. Is there a recent rule change or is USF just writing its own rules again?

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    This is surprising. I did not know alcohol was allowed at any NCAA functions on campus. Is there a recent rule change or is USF just writing its own rules again?
    They served beer at Southern Methodist when I went to Dallas last year to watch GU play.... so, probably not an NCAA prohibited issue.

I look forward to reading some Stadium Beverage Threads from our embedded reporters in the future!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Here is a link to but one article regarding the sale of alcohol at NCAA events: http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...there-already/ There are many more stories regarding the issue if you Google the question.

I have been to several NCAA events and had beer; Navy football, George Mason basketball, Georgetown basketball. I know Maryland also allowed beer sales this year.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

In 2004 when Gonzaga took down #3 Georgia Tech in the Las Vegas Showdown at the Thomas & Mack center there was alcohol served at the arena.

If anything, I've attended NCAA events serving alcohol more often than not in last 18 months.

Times are a changing...

Zags might be behind the trend.

All Minnesota Gopher events serve adult beverages to public, save Bball games this season.

When I read the thread title, my mind flashed on beer!
    It's not funny.

I've seen it several times, I think it's common.

I remember a noon ET tipoff for a Georgetown game a few years ago when Vitale was ranting about how it's bad to serve college kids beer at noon in the arena.

Would like it at the Kennel. When we start to give up a lead you can FEEL the nervousness of the crowd when watching on TV. Maybe if people could get a beer it would take the edge off and the place wouldn't get so ridiculously quiet after the other team cuts the lead from 18 to 13. In the Arizona/BYU/SMC games last year we basically gave up our home court advantage because everyone seems to give up on being an active fan if things aren't going smoothly. They need beer or something.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

I sat next to a great source for this at the GU/USF game. The decision to sell alcohol is a league by league decision and not driven by the NCAA. The WCC just started allowing it this year and this move was driven by the CA schools that need the revenue of the sales. I was told that this would NOT happen at GU at least in the near future as the revenue would be incremental to the overall program. So you can expect to see it at some of the WCC Schools, not sure which are participating, but not at GU, at least not yet.

Huh. And in my experience, many (most?) Jesuits really like beer.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyZags View Post
    I sat next to a great source for this at the GU/USF game. The decision to sell alcohol is a league by league decision and not driven by the NCAA. The WCC just started allowing it this year and this move was driven by the CA schools that need the revenue of the sales. I was told that this would NOT happen at GU at least in the near future as the revenue would be incremental to the overall program. So you can expect to see it at some of the WCC Schools, not sure which are participating, but not at GU, at least not yet.
    Maybe Gonzaga could push to make the other schools share the revenue, just like NCAA tournament money!
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Huh. And in my experience, many (most?) Jesuits really like beer.
    My first memory of Fr. Tony involved beer and the greatest quote ever... "Priests get thirsty too"

RIP Fr. Tony.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    I've seen it several times, I think it's common.

I remember a noon ET tipoff for a Georgetown game a few years ago when Vitale was ranting about how it's bad to serve college kids beer at noon in the arena.

Would like it at the Kennel. When we start to give up a lead you can FEEL the nervousness of the crowd when watching on TV. Maybe if people could get a beer it would take the edge off and the place wouldn't get so ridiculously quiet after the other team cuts the lead from 18 to 13. In the Arizona/BYU/SMC games last year we basically gave up our home court advantage because everyone seems to give up on being an active fan if things aren't going smoothly. They need beer or something.
    I had a serious enough buzz at the GU-Duke game that I was yelling at the ref (and we actually were close enough to be heard... 5 rows back behind the backboard on the floor). Ref didn't appreciate my critique of his skills... gave me a look, crossed his arms and looked back a the court.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    My first memory of Fr. Tony involved beer and the greatest quote ever... "Priests get thirsty too"

RIP Fr. Tony.
    I miss him. Always had a broad smile on his face. Seems like he knew everyone on campus by name...remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I look forward to reading some Stadium Beverage Threads from our embedded reporters in the future!
    for sure....
    Go Zags, Beat the Lions!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

What rules did USF write????

If I remember correctly, we had beer during GU games when I was in school there. We could dash right out the door at end of the gym to the baseball field where there was a keg in the back of a truck. Not sure that counts, though.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time