• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkipZag
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2015

WCC Women's Basketball

Just looked at the standings for the WCC women's basketball.

After the first 4 games...
    There isn't team without a lose and there isn't a team without a win.
    It seems that on any given night, any team can win.
    In the last few years, it seemed that there were the haves and the have nots... Not sure on this year.
    Lisa has said that the league is getting tighter and better... Not sure on the better.

I'm thinking, it could be an interesting year. Hold on...

Go Zags!!
  • pony
    Kennel Club Material
    • Dec 2015

Just got done watching the Ducks WBB go down to Stanford WBB.
    Wash. state also on pac 12 vrs USC--Wash. down by a basket a half.

GO figure.

Comment

• sylean
      Zag for Life
      • Mar 2010

my simple feeling is that our team being generally taller has a hard time with shorter, more aggressive and fast opposing players...which defines the WCC....our team has to remember that.....how many sloppy passes...how many balls slapped away from taller players....

Comment

• ZagDad84
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by sylean View Post
        my simple feeling is that our team being generally taller has a hard time with shorter, more aggressive and fast opposing players...which defines the WCC....our team has to remember that.....how many sloppy passes...how many balls slapped away from taller players....
        Now I have heard everything. We have more turnovers because we have a taller team - What's next, we can't rebound because the shorter players are faster and can get to the rebounding position faster than our taller players?

We have more turnovers because we make bad passes in poor locations. First, throwing a bounce pass at the knees of the bigs is not a plan for success. Secondly, our bigs (particularly JB and EW) tend to bring the ball down to their waist level before shooting or making a move. This totally eliminates any any height advantage they may have. Thirdly, rarely do you see our players indicating where they want the ball or moving toward the pass. They wait for the pass to come to them and if anybody anticipates the pass it is intercepted. I did see Chandler on several occasions pointing where she wanted the ball and she and Jessie both moved toward the pass when the ball was thrown their way.

Simply put, we make more turnovers because we are lazy with the ball, try to make passes to poor locations or force passes to players who are not open, telegraph our passes and the receivers rarely move toward the pass.

ZagDad
        Last edited by ZagDad84; 01-08-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• ZagDad84
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by SkipZag View Post
          Just looked at the standings for the WCC women's basketball.

After the first 4 games...
          There isn't team without a lose and there isn't a team without a win.
          It seems that on any given night, any team can win.
          In the last few years, it seemed that there were the haves and the have nots... Not sure on this year.
          Lisa has said that the league is getting tighter and better... Not sure on the better.

I'm thinking, it could be an interesting year. Hold on...

Go Zags!!

I think that there is no dominate team in the WCC this year. BYU has a poor record but if you look at who they have lost to, it is almost all Big 5 conference foes. Several of the WCC teams have schedule meetings with Pac 12 teams and although few have beaten the Big 5 teams, it has gotten the WCC teams prepared for league play. Thus, the league from top to bottom is more equal. I think the bottom teams are considerably better than in the past but the upper echelon of teams may not be quite as good.

The good news for the lady zags is that now they are only 1 game out of first. Keep chugging and getting better and if you can win the two road games next week, you could be in a tie for first. The Lady Zags are still in control of their own destiny. Win and your in. They have worked hard to get in this position. No let downs next week.

ZagDad
          Last edited by ZagDad84; 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• pony
            Kennel Club Material
            • Dec 2015

Passing? I wonder if the team ever works on passing skills, none seem to know what a check pass is, very seldom a back door, poor angles when passing inside, not meeting the ball, passing the ball inside after bigs have been standing rather than as they break to the spot.
            Typically way to much dribbling.

Comment

• sylean
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2010

Zag dad.....its so refreshing coming onto a public msg board on sports and have a poster put down another poster repeatedly....this is supposed to be a friendly board......I can almost time how long it'll take you to belittle some little thing that I post......get over yourself....

Comment

Working...
              X