• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin Centre Mad Man
    Administrator
    • Apr 2009

Give Credit to USF

I was impressed by the Dons. They were clearly outmatched by a bigger, deeper, and more experienced team, but they played hard. They have some good shooters. Their ball movement was solid. Their shot selection was good. They hustle on defense.

I like their new coach. He seems to be building a strong foundation for the future. They should be a very good basketball team when those underclassmen become juniors and seniors.
    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I was impressed by the Dons. They were clearly outmatched by a bigger, deeper, and more experienced team, but they played hard. They have some good shooters. Their ball movement was solid. Their shot selection was good. They hustle on defense.

I like their new coach. He seems to be building a strong foundation for the future. They should be a very good basketball team when those underclassmen become juniors and seniors.
    It will be great to have another solid team in the WCC.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
      Zag for Life
      • Jan 2010

The new coach is a keeper. Good, fundamental basketball with nice ball movement and TEAM play. They'll be better in a couple years.

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

This is the 5th Dons game I've watched this year ( 3W - 2 L ) and I've been impressed with their poise and their hustle. They really lack size but they have some nice young talent. When they are making their 3PFG's, they will have a puncher's chance against most of the WCC. Won't be shocked if they manage to go 1 - 3 vs. SMC & BYU in the regular season.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Kyle Smith is a real coach. And that's something the Dons have been needing for awhile. He's also very familiar with the league having been an assistant at USD and SMC.

Comment

• ProVeeZag
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
            This is the 5th Dons game I've watched this year ( 3W - 2 L ) and I've been impressed with their poise and their hustle. They really lack size but they have some nice young talent. When they are making their 3PFG's, they will have a puncher's chance against most of the WCC. Won't be shocked if they manage to go 1 - 3 vs. SMC & BYU in the regular season.
            Puncher's chance - nice descriptor!
            "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
            —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• Stache
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Nov 2007

I listened to the local USF radio broadcast in the Bay Area, including the USF coach interview after the game. The announcers and the coach could not have been more complimentary of the Zags and Few. There was a bit of resignation in their comments indicating that the Zags are just too big, fast, and talented. The announcers just could not believe the next wave of transfer and freshman talent. The praise regarding the recruiting was very genuine. They knew nothing of Tillie and they will need some sort of psychological support when they learn of Norvell, Rui, and Wade.... There was not a sour or angry comment and it was so interesting to hear an opponent recognize our strengths without any hostile envy.

Comment

• MDABE80
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

With out TO's we kept them in the game. We should have won by 30 at USF.
                They shot a lot of 3's. Out 3 pt defense must improve. We'll lose at SMC if this one thing isn't remedied.

Comment

• CDC84
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

It was funny when ESPN2 showed Zach Norvell on the screen as a "rotation" player....a kid who is "really" redshirting. Do you realize how many teams in D-1 that kid would be starting for? He was a universal top 100 talent and one of the best shooters in the 2016 class.

Comment

• MDABE80
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Yes he would CDC. I suspect he'll be taking Jordan's spot next year. Alongside Nigel ( if we can keep him), Melson, Josh and Wade, We look to be a top 10 backcourt.

Comment

• caduceus
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                      With out TO's we kept them in the game. We should have won by 30 at USF.
                      They shot a lot of 3's. Out 3 pt defense must improve. We'll lose at SMC if this one thing isn't remedied.
                      Yeah, dag nabbit! We only held them to seven of twenty-nine threes! Twenty-four percent! In their house! Few better get on that.

In all seriousness, I'm happy to get out of San Francisco with an actual solid win. This one's almost always THE trap game of the season. USF played a pretty decent game for a bunch of freshman players.

(Interesting...only three teams have 15 wins as of today, and they're all on the west, best coast.)

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I can't wait to see Norvell play. It's kind of cool to see a great lefty long range shooter in college basketball. They don't come around that often.

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                          Yeah, dag nabbit! We only held them to seven of twenty-nine threes! Twenty-four percent! In their house! Few better get on that.

In all seriousness, I'm happy to get out of San Francisco with an actual solid win. This one's almost always THE trap game of the season. USF played a pretty decent game for a bunch of freshman players.

(Interesting...only three teams have 15 wins as of today, and they're all on the west, best coast.)
                          If they had made 40% of those, we'd have lost. No joke. They shouldn't have been given that many shots. I'll admit ssome of those shots were just crazy shots but enough were reasonable. We need to crowd that 3 pt line. 24% is pretty low though my friend. lolololol

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

What happened to Ferrari, I thought he had been one of their best 2-3 players?

Comment

• roxdoc
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Melson flattened one of his tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X