Thread: Give Credit to USF

Default Give Credit to USF

I was impressed by the Dons. They were clearly outmatched by a bigger, deeper, and more experienced team, but they played hard. They have some good shooters. Their ball movement was solid. Their shot selection was good. They hustle on defense.

I like their new coach. He seems to be building a strong foundation for the future. They should be a very good basketball team when those underclassmen become juniors and seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I was impressed by the Dons. They were clearly outmatched by a bigger, deeper, and more experienced team, but they played hard. They have some good shooters. Their ball movement was solid. Their shot selection was good. They hustle on defense.

I like their new coach. He seems to be building a strong foundation for the future. They should be a very good basketball team when those underclassmen become juniors and seniors.
    It will be great to have another solid team in the WCC.

The new coach is a keeper. Good, fundamental basketball with nice ball movement and TEAM play. They'll be better in a couple years.

This is the 5th Dons game I've watched this year ( 3W - 2 L ) and I've been impressed with their poise and their hustle. They really lack size but they have some nice young talent. When they are making their 3PFG's, they will have a puncher's chance against most of the WCC. Won't be shocked if they manage to go 1 - 3 vs. SMC & BYU in the regular season.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Kyle Smith is a real coach. And that's something the Dons have been needing for awhile. He's also very familiar with the league having been an assistant at USD and SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This is the 5th Dons game I've watched this year ( 3W - 2 L ) and I've been impressed with their poise and their hustle. They really lack size but they have some nice young talent. When they are making their 3PFG's, they will have a puncher's chance against most of the WCC. Won't be shocked if they manage to go 1 - 3 vs. SMC & BYU in the regular season.
    Puncher's chance - nice descriptor!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I listened to the local USF radio broadcast in the Bay Area, including the USF coach interview after the game. The announcers and the coach could not have been more complimentary of the Zags and Few. There was a bit of resignation in their comments indicating that the Zags are just too big, fast, and talented. The announcers just could not believe the next wave of transfer and freshman talent. The praise regarding the recruiting was very genuine. They knew nothing of Tillie and they will need some sort of psychological support when they learn of Norvell, Rui, and Wade.... There was not a sour or angry comment and it was so interesting to hear an opponent recognize our strengths without any hostile envy.

With out TO's we kept them in the game. We should have won by 30 at USF.
    They shot a lot of 3's. Out 3 pt defense must improve. We'll lose at SMC if this one thing isn't remedied.

It was funny when ESPN2 showed Zach Norvell on the screen as a "rotation" player....a kid who is "really" redshirting. Do you realize how many teams in D-1 that kid would be starting for? He was a universal top 100 talent and one of the best shooters in the 2016 class.

Yes he would CDC. I suspect he'll be taking Jordan's spot next year. Alongside Nigel ( if we can keep him), Melson, Josh and Wade, We look to be a top 10 backcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    With out TO's we kept them in the game. We should have won by 30 at USF.
    They shot a lot of 3's. Out 3 pt defense must improve. We'll lose at SMC if this one thing isn't remedied.
    Yeah, dag nabbit! We only held them to seven of twenty-nine threes! Twenty-four percent! In their house! Few better get on that.

In all seriousness, I'm happy to get out of San Francisco with an actual solid win. This one's almost always THE trap game of the season. USF played a pretty decent game for a bunch of freshman players.

(Interesting...only three teams have 15 wins as of today, and they're all on the west, best coast.)

I can't wait to see Norvell play. It's kind of cool to see a great lefty long range shooter in college basketball. They don't come around that often.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    Yeah, dag nabbit! We only held them to seven of twenty-nine threes! Twenty-four percent! In their house! Few better get on that.

In all seriousness, I'm happy to get out of San Francisco with an actual solid win. This one's almost always THE trap game of the season. USF played a pretty decent game for a bunch of freshman players.

(Interesting...only three teams have 15 wins as of today, and they're all on the west, best coast.)
    If they had made 40% of those, we'd have lost. No joke. They shouldn't have been given that many shots. I'll admit ssome of those shots were just crazy shots but enough were reasonable. We need to crowd that 3 pt line. 24% is pretty low though my friend. lolololol

What happened to Ferrari, I thought he had been one of their best 2-3 players?

Melson flattened one of his tires.

The Hex of Rex is gone.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by roxdoc View Post
    Melson flattened one of his tires.
    I'll bet this is how USF felt last night...

Can't wait to use this pic after SMC and BYU...

USF showed how good 3-point shooting can open things up for the dribble-drive. They were much more successful against GU on the drive than many other teams this year, and I think it is due to the Zags extending the defense and playing tighter on the perimeter guys than usual.

Also, I agree with the sentiment that GU got a bit lucky. There were several very wide open looks that just didn't fall last night for the Dons. Couple that with a bad night for NWG and this game could have been a bit hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    I listened to the local USF radio broadcast in the Bay Area, including the USF coach interview after the game. The announcers and the coach could not have been more complimentary of the Zags and Few. There was a bit of resignation in their comments indicating that the Zags are just too big, fast, and talented. The announcers just could not believe the next wave of transfer and freshman talent. The praise regarding the recruiting was very genuine. They knew nothing of Tillie and they will need some sort of psychological support when they learn of Norvell, Rui, and Wade.... There was not a sour or angry comment and it was so interesting to hear an opponent recognize our strengths without any hostile envy.
    Pat Olson should be a national treasure. But I'm glad he's just a USF treasure instead. Great guy, great broadcaster. And his color man, former USF coach Jim Brovelli, is also a great man who has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever hope to know. I'm happy you were listening to them and not watching the ESPN broadcast, where the announcer referred to Ronnie Boyce as "Bryce" for 80% of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What happened to Ferrari, I thought he had been one of their best 2-3 players?
    He hasn't been anywhere close to being one of the 2-3 best players. Ferrari has shown flashes of what USF fans someday hope he will become, but he still has a long way to go. I know he is still recovering from a hand injury that kept him out of most of the non-conf, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

Thanks. This game went about the way I thought it would (although both teams scored about 10 more points than I expected). Like I posted yesterday, the young Dons are scrappy and the future is bright. To say that Kyle Smith is an upgrade over Rex Walters is a HUGE understatement. The difference in styles and ability is stark.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    If they had made 40% of those, we'd have lost. No joke. They shouldn't have been given that many shots. I'll admit ssome of those shots were just crazy shots but enough were reasonable. We need to crowd that 3 pt line. 24% is pretty low though my friend. lolololol
    It's pretty hard to keep a team from shooting threes if they are determined to do so (like the Dons have been all season). The best you can do is close out strong and limit open looks. I thought the Zags did a good job of doing so. 7-23 is NOT a typical night for USF. There were a number of outside shots they missed last night that they normally make. As a Dons fan, I obviously wish this wasn't the case. But as a basketball fan, I can freely acknowledge a lot of it had to do with the commitment to perimeter defense by GU.

Quote Originally Posted by bettingman View Post
    Thanks. This game went about the way I thought it would (although both teams scored about 10 more points than I expected). Like I posted yesterday, the young Dons are scrappy and the future is bright. To say that Kyle Smith is an upgrade over Rex Walters is a HUGE understatement. The difference in styles and ability is stark.
    I miss Rex already. He was so fun to hate. But seriously, I was also impressed with the Dons. They never seemed rattled and played like they believed they could win by sticking with the coach's plan, and they could have if a few more shots had fallen and NWG hadn't had the game of his life. The looked very disciplined for a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

Default Credit from Dons fans

Couple of Quotes from their fan board:

I have always mocked the Gonzaga fan in the past thinking they had a chance to win everything. Nice players like Kevin Pangos, Mike Hart, etc were skilled, but in no way able to win 6 games in a row against elite talent in March.

This Gonzaga team is different. They are full of talented, future NBA players. They should be one of the favorites in the tourney
    and:

That is likely the most-talented, well-rounded Gonzaga team I've seen from a long list of good teams. This version has size, skill, depth. Simply no weakness. The very young Dons battled, but too overwhelmed by an experienced team with so many weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by bettingman View Post
    It's pretty hard to keep a team from shooting threes if they are determined to do so (like the Dons have been all season). The best you can do is close out strong and limit open looks. I thought the Zags did a good job of doing so. 7-23 is NOT a typical night for USF. There were a number of outside shots they missed last night that they normally make. As a Dons fan, I obviously wish this wasn't the case. But as a basketball fan, I can freely acknowledge a lot of it had to do with the commitment to perimeter defense by GU.
    They run a good version of the Princeton Offense and are very disciplined at it. Run well the Princeton O tends to give good drives to the basket and dish drive for open 3s or layups. The problem is that Karno being so good in the paint, allows his teammates to add just the cushion needed to keep with their man in front and not allow those nasty back cuts. Get by your man and your are met up man mountain, so their is no need for others to rotate, so you pass or challenge Karno and the 3 you dish to usually unchallenged against most other teams is now challenged by athletic 6'4" or 6'5" guard. Not the recipe for good O. Down goes the percentage. GU is an Elite D. Not a typical night for them to have so few open looks... give credit where credit is due. Not a typical night face such a elite D team.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.