Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BYU - SMC Watch Party

Emmett Naar of the Gaels with 5 turnovers with 5 minutes to play?!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

SMC: 21 Assists on 31 FGM

BYU: 9 Assists on 27 FGM

Landale: 26 / 9 / 6

Gaels looked very good tonight.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

BYU had chances to get back into the game in the second half and didn't take advantage. I didn't think Saint Mary's played all that great, but they kept a double digit lead throughout most of the second half and BYU never threatened. Looking forward to the matchup next week.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    SMC: 21 Assists on 31 FGM

BYU: 9 Assists on 27 FGM

Landale: 26 / 9 / 6

Gaels looked very good tonight.
    They drubbed BYU like it was a middle of the pack WCC team. USF showed up better tonight. I wonder if Rose's seat could be warming up this season.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Serious question. .....has anyone seen any player in the country in the last 5 seasons who commits more offensive fouls than Mika? And he doesn't even get called for it. If Karnowski rammed into people the way that Mika does, he'd be fouled out in under 10 minutes. SMH

Mika has always had foul trouble....he is doing better....

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Serious question. .....has anyone seen any player in the country in the last 5 seasons who commits more offensive fouls than Mika? And he doesn't even get called for it. If Karnowski rammed into people the way that Mika does, he'd be fouled out in under 10 minutes. SMH
    If he also flops on defense he is the BYU player archetype.

Mika is a stud who reminds me quite a bit of Sabonis. Unfortunately BYU doesn't have much of a team around him. SMC got an open shot whenever they wanted.

If Mika wasn't so good, BYU would be unwatchable. Terrible shot selection, and it is hard to watch average athletes try to "run their opponent out of the gym". Haws is an "out of control" offensive player that is a product of his "up tempo" environment. If anyone ever needed to slow it down, it would be him. Now I'm starting to wonder if the "court discipline" problems they had with their UCLA transfer at point guard a couple years ago (can't recall the name") wasn't entirely due to Rose's "system".
    I miss Mike Hart

Carlino.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

St. Mary's just has BYU's number. Some of BYU's fans thought they would not only replace Gonzaga as the WCC's top dog when they entered the league, they also thought they would make the Gaels a distant memory of excellence. It hasn't turned out that way. Bennett has owned them from the moment the Cougars stepped into the league.

I still think the BYU game in Provo will be tougher for GU because of the environment. There is just something about the Marriott Center and its 22,000 fans going crazy that gives the Cougars a 15 pt. advantage entering the game. That being said, GU is going to have to play very, very well to beat SMC in McKeon.

I watched a portion of the game, and couldn't decide if SMC was that good or BYU just can't play defense. They collapsed into the paint and were late rotating, allowing SMC many uncontested looks from 3. Zags play a more disciplined game than that.

Mika (is it mIka or mEEka) does push and shove a lot. He also lowers his body to get around the defense, sacrificing his height. I think Karno can play him 1 on 1 and hold him down. He'll get points, just not 30 and a bunch of boards.

I thought that Jock could be effective from outside against Karno, but again, 1 on 1 Karno won't be pushed around inside.

If the Zag defense plays well, I see both teams as beatable, home and away and in Vegas. Of course I wear Zag colored glasses, so take my observations with a grain of salt.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

I'm impressed with St. Marys. The ball movement and execution is really good and the work eithic, team play and determination are tops. Our success is going to come with intense defense or it will be tough.
    I thought Emery was awful in his shot selection / selfishness and cost them dearly. SMC outclassed them top to bottom.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Wow. Santa Clara just destroying Portland?

Surprising. Wonder if that means Portland just had a terrible night, is a terrible team, or if SCU is a little better.
    I saw Portland play Portland State....they really have a tough time scoring. Their guards a smurfs who can play but just really undersized and they have a hard time guarding anyone. I would expect NWG to have another huge night against these guys with his post game.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    I'm impressed with St. Marys. The ball movement and execution is really good and the work eithic, team play and determination are tops. Our success is going to come with intense defense or it will be tough.
    I thought Emery was awful in his shot selection / selfishness and cost them dearly. SMC outclassed them top to bottom.
    I agree. Saint Mary's did an excellent job with their ball movement. BYU swarmed to the ball on each pass leaving someone open for an easy look on most occasions. I was impressed with SMC and am satisfied that they are a good team that is "capable" of beating GU. BYU on the other hand .... not so much (based on my observation from last night's game alone).

Can't wait for the showdown on the 14th!

GO ZAGS!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

Mika (is it mIka or mEEka)
    My BYU grad CFO says it's "mee-ka," will

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    My BYU grad CFO says it's "mee-ka," will
    Thanks. We all used to use the long I sound, but last night the announcers used the EE sound.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

How is SMC's pick and roll game? They've killed us with that in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    How is SMC's pick and roll game? They've killed us with that in the past...
    From what I saw they were just zipping the ball around the perimeter a lot, making BYU move and since BYU D is Ole' style D eventually SMC got a shot off or was able to dump it down. Jock's game is a little more traditional in that he gets the ball and then makes some moves with it (like Collins, PK).

BYU plays super erratic. The guy in the wetsuit (Emery? sp?), he was just chucking them up from wherever and the little (somehow older looking?) Hawes was playing way too fast for his own good.

Does Landale take jump shots from outside - or does he do all his scoring down low w/ back to basket?

I was very impressed with St. Marys. Their floor spacing and ball movement were exceptional. I swear on several possessions once the first pass was sent, there was a ton of ball movement without one more dribble from any of their players for the rest of the possession. And they moved the ball all over their half court, and quickly, basically playing with the BYU defense like a cat with a dying mouse. It was obvious that they were not just trying to find open guys, but using this tactic to run the BYU defenders around until they were gassed, as SMC would often forego open looks once or twice in the possession just to keep BYU running for another 10-15 seconds before finding an open guy yet again and making the shot deep into the possession.

This type of philosophy has always been a hallmark of Bennett at SMC but last night it was stunning how effective it was. Especially with a BYU team that was frenetic and haphazard on offense. I don't think I have seen a team miss more easy offensive buckets than BYU did in the second half--it seemed like BYU missed every possession they had after they stopped SMC on offense.

For much of the game it was also unusual to see 10 white guys on the floor at the same time--kind of a novelty in this day and age but I guess it makes sense when you've got the Australian national team versus the Mormons.

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Does Landale take jump shots from outside - or does he do all his scoring down low w/ back to basket?
    He can shoot from the outside. He is actually 3-10 from three point range this year.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    Okafor from Duke. Shaq O'Neal style of offense--put his shoulder or elbow into the defenders chest and plow right thru him...every single time he touches the ball, yet no whistle from the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I was very impressed with St. Marys. Their floor spacing and ball movement were exceptional. I swear on several possessions once the first pass was sent, there was a ton of ball movement without one more dribble from any of their players for the rest of the possession. And they moved the ball all over their half court, and quickly, basically playing with the BYU defense like a cat with a dying mouse. It was obvious that they were not just trying to find open guys, but using this tactic to run the BYU defenders around until they were gassed, as SMC would often forego open looks once or twice in the possession just to keep BYU running for another 10-15 seconds before finding an open guy yet again and making the shot deep into the possession.

This type of philosophy has always been a hallmark of Bennett at SMC but last night it was stunning how effective it was. Especially with a BYU team that was frenetic and haphazard on offense. I don't think I have seen a team miss more easy offensive buckets than BYU did in the second half--it seemed like BYU missed every possession they had after they stopped SMC on offense.
    SMC is one of the most fundamentally sound teams I have seen in a long, long time. They are a great passing team with great floor vision and patience. They work the shot clock better than any other team in college basketball.

In contrast, BYU is an immature and inpatient team. They may develop into a better team with experience playing together. We shall see.
    Last edited by Martin Centre Mad Man; 01-06-2017 at 05:55 PM.

SMC is legit and worthy of their ranking. BYU could be very good and may be any given night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk