Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Duke actually does the right thing and suspends Grayson indefinitely

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Kitz, thats all part of the therapy he seems to so desperately need.....but now Im conjecturing......GoZags just put the final point on the situation.
    The Duke fans that jumped to their feet when GA reentered the game in the second half could use some counseling themselves.

I know. Homerism at its worst.

If this is a mental health issue, and I agree it may well be, then you would have to assume that the coaching staff knows about it and has been witness to it growing worse over time. If it is a mental health issue, then it doesn't just appear out of nowhere in isolated situations....they would have had to see other manifestations over time. If that is the case, they should have already known that he is a danger to others on the court and should have already taken steps to help him and take him away from the game for a time. If they truly care about the person, and not just the player. My opinion.

Weren't the Zags recruiting him for a while? Looks like a bullet was dodged.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Weren't the Zags recruiting him for a while? Looks like a bullet was dodged.
    We would take him in a heartbeat, including the emotional issues the armchair GU Boards Psychologists have diagnosed him with.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    We would take him in a heartbeat, including the emotional issues the armchair GU Boards Psychologists have diagnosed him with.
    uh....no, but yes, we were recruiting him hard outta Jacksonville, but then his Duke offer game and we dodge a major bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    uh....no, but yes, we were recruiting him hard outta Jacksonville, but then his Duke offer game and we dodge a major bullet.
    y'all are delusional if you think there's a single program in this country that wouldn't be banging down his door if he announced he was transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I'm failing to see how suggesting that someone might have a mental health issue as opposed to being a jerk as an explanation for his behavior is somehow a bad thing. If anything, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but whatever......
    Probably splitting hairs, but in my mind there is a big difference between suggesting that he might have a mental health issue and completely speculating about a specific mental health diagnosis, especially one as serious as Bipolar Disorder - particularly when none of his observable behaviors even come close to meeting criteria for BPD. It's the difference between wondering aloud whether a player is ill and suggesting that he has cancer. When GU players get in trouble, most of us are quick to point out that they are human and young humans at that. While it's quite clear that GA has some things to work through, I just don't see the benefit in throwing out specific guesses (which is really all they are) about what the exact cause of his behaviors are.

Maybe he's just an ahole who hasn't been confronted about his behavior. Take it face value. A lot more aholes in the world ..especially at this level of high end competitive college ball for Duke........than there are mental cases.
    Somebody's going to call this some for of mental disease because it's just SO unusual. Seriously who has such a tripping record outside of the SMC mouthpiece? None known.

He could use some "re-education" though. His "privilege" is over when it comes to the court.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Here's what I'd respect and expect, if I were in administration there:

"GA has emotional-psychological issues, akin to any medical injury, ones he needs help working through. The university will get him that help with a 3rd party professional and expect GA to use it to his greatest ability with the full support of the Duke community. The university will reinstate him as a player after being cleared by the professional in the same manner done with medical injuries. There will be no further comment or information by Duke University until GA is reinstated."
    Except, he is a Junior. The anger problems will have already be made present in practice and dealing with him on daily basis. Coach K must have already seen it but not wanted to see it. It looks like K acted before the ACC did as a preemptive measure to prevent further damage to his team. I am sure GA will get some much needed intervention, but if it wasn't for GA displaying it on national TV for the third time, would he have gotten it? Not as long as Duke was winning. K needs to feel shame not be praised. Problems like these are not ones that just pop up. K knew and K didn't care.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    IMO, that would create far more questions, the media would go crazy and hound Coach K. The talking head shows on Fox and ESPN would have daily segments, ratings would soar. For every die hard Dukie out there, there's at least two that despise Duke.

Not me, though, my reservoir of ire is filled by BYU.
    Making a statement that he has a problem requiring professional help and will not be playing BB until he gets that help, happens to be the right answer even if it did "create questions, the media would go crazy..." which I don't think is true, either.

If I am Duke University, my goal is to keep opposing players safe, GA himself safe (he could destroy himself personally and professionally), and the University's integrity and reputation safe. My goal is not to keep Coach K from being hounded or keep the media quiet.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Kudos to Duke for taking this seriously.

So different from BYU where Dave Rose did nothing and left it up to the WCC to suspend Nick Emery for 1 game for sucker punching a Utah player a year ago. That kid should have been dismissed from the program.

Also recall, Ului Lapuaho, the BYU football player last season who punched a Boise St player in the junk and was not suspended at all.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...below-the-belt

BYU puts on a moral facade but tolerates dangerous and unsportsmanlike behavior from its student athletes. There are many more examples-Bronson Kafusi, Harvey Langi, ...

Coach K handling this well, IMO.

ZZ

Thumbs up GRAYSON's 3 TRIPS & SUSPENSION ON NBC NATIONAL NEWS TONIGHT

Made national news on major news network. Trips clearly shown. A dirty player who's getting what he deserves. Still hope he gets the help he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Probably splitting hairs, but in my mind there is a big difference between suggesting that he might have a mental health issue and completely speculating about a specific mental health diagnosis, especially one as serious as Bipolar Disorder - particularly when none of his observable behaviors even come close to meeting criteria for BPD. It's the difference between wondering aloud whether a player is ill and suggesting that he has cancer. When GU players get in trouble, most of us are quick to point out that they are human and young humans at that. While it's quite clear that GA has some things to work through, I just don't see the benefit in throwing out specific guesses (which is really all they are) about what the exact cause of his behaviors are.
    I agree.

I have to wonder if he's one of those super ultra competitive types that sees red and just reacts in the worst way at certain moments? Did he have any past history of doing this in high school or AAU? Or is it something new?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    After watching this short video clip of the tantrum on twitter, I deleted the "Karate Kid" meme I'd posted earlier (and fiddy's quote of the pic). Just didn't seem funny to me anymore, as the kid does seem to have problems ... and I hope he gets help.

https://twitter.com/patmuldowney/sta...99048748019712
    That is why I am in disbelief people are defending Coach K. He definitely should not have come back into the game last night...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Kid needs professional help.
    I agree with you Jazz. As much as I liked calling him the Mad Tripper after seeing the highlights, now I just feel sorry for the kid. His meltdown on the bench was something much more alarming than an immature kid having a tantrum because things aren't aren't going his way. After watching the replay of him on the bench, it seemed like a bigger mental health kind of issue...not just another Dukie player I don't like kind of thing.
    He can move 15 ft to the left or right about as fast as my eyes can see it, his name could just as well be Hunter Hustle -ZagsGoZags 11/17/21

Why does everything have to be because of a mental condition? Maybe he really is just super aggressive, reckless or just a plain bad sport a-hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Why does everything have to be because of a mental condition? Maybe he really is just super aggressive, reckless or just a plain bad sport a-hole.
    ...because his reaction on the beach on reflective of something more then just a reaction. I could be wrong I'm not a psychologist, or professional in the mental / emotional health field, but I did spend my entire formative life living with someone who suffered form emotional / mental illness. It gives me a little insight. You think GA is simply a poor sport......you could be right. I hope you are. Then again maybe being "super aggressive / reckless" might be reflective of something else in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Because normal people don't behave like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I said after the incident in a post last night that the fact that he did this in a game vs. Elon speaks volumes. One of the other tripping incidents happened against Louisville last season - a game where I can see someone trying to get an illegal competitive advantage. Duke, in theory, should be able to beat Elon with their hands tied behind their back. As others have suggested, his extreme emotional reactions after the game really suggest that he could possibly have some underlying mental health/emotional problems. I really hope that during this time off that Duke looks into whether something is troubling the kid psychiatrically. I'm serious about this. That's more important than basketball right now.
    I agree wholeheartedly. We don't need to pile on the kid, and can reserve some criticism for the coach, but he's got some antisocial behaviors and yeah he should be helped.

Default Looks like a long pattern here

The video is grainy/amateurish but shows that GA has long history of purposely trying to injure opponents (and others have noticed). Surprised it took this long to become a national story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAbYVoWyE8o

I felt Coach K was a little bit arrogant in his press conference last night. How he's not going to allow other people to influence his decision on how to penalize GA and all that. As great as he is, and as much as I respect him for what he has done for Team USA basketball, he has a tendency at times to be arrogant and have it come back to bite him. Like the whole thing with Coach K lecturing Dillon Brooks after the Duke/Oregon NCAA tourney game. It wasn't his place to lecture an opposing player on basketball decorum, but as Lord K, he felt he had the right to. When he was rightly criticized for it, he had to apologize.

FWIW - Matt Norlander at CBS Sports thinks that after three games, Grayson will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    The video is grainy/amateurish but shows that GA has long history of purposely trying to injure opponents (and others have noticed). Surprised it took this long to become a national story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAbYVoWyE8o
    'Purposely' a stretch in some of these incidents.