Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Duke actually does the right thing and suspends Grayson indefinitely

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Allen may be bi-polar. . .his behavior hints at it. It could be a lot of things we aren't privvy to (nor should we be). I concur with you, jazz, he needs help to get whatever demons he's battling under control.
    Thank you, Reno. Not a laughing matter at all.....

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Good move. Coach K shows leadership and why he is who he is
    There is nothing about Coach K that is respectable. There must have been something externally that forced his hand. I don't give him any credit for the suspension, because he wouldn't have done it on his own, I guarantee it.

The next four Duke games:
    @ Virginia Tech (10-1)
    vs Georgia Tech (6-4)
    vs Boston College (6-6)
    @ Florida St. (12-1)

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Thank you, Reno. Not a laughing matter at all.....
    Right! I think the kid does need help. A suspension is in order. I posted that last night. Whatever "indefinitely" means, and
    assuming he returns at some point, it MUST be with the mutual understanding that if he ever commits another intentional
    "Crime" again his playing days at Duke are over. If ever there was a time for tough love, this is it!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Allen may be bi-polar. . .his behavior hints at it. It could be a lot of things we aren't privvy to (nor should we be). I concur with you, jazz, he needs help to get whatever demons he's battling under control.
    Substance abuse might also be a possibility. Some folks would be surprised how well athletes can hide it. I personally think the "indefinite" nature of the suspension suggests that Duke believes this isn't, primarily, a disciplinary matter. On the contrary, they feel or KNOW that something serious is happening with Allen behind the scenes.

The bottom line is whatever you believe, he desperately needs time away from the game.....both for himself and opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Hmmm, last night he said that Allen apologized, and that was good enough for him. What made him change his mind?
    He was definitely annoyed by people asking him if he will be suspended. IMO he only acted because it went viral and he had no choice. He sure didn't seem to care during the game.

Suspend him for the season. This is the third time in the past year. 3x too many, unacceptable.

Yes, he's a hothead with clear emotional control issues. Yes, he could hurt somebody seriously. And Yes, he should be suspended for a long time.

But, yeesh, can we please hold off with armchair diagnoses? I'm all for basketball speculation, but suggesting a diagnosis as serious as bipolar because of a few incidents on the court where he looks like a jerk who can't control his emotions is a HUGE leap and one that serves to actually downplay the seriousness of those mental health conditions. Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    There is nothing about Coach K that is respectable. There must have been something externally that forced his hand. I don't give him any credit for the suspension, because he wouldn't have done it on his own, I guarantee it.

And you know this how? You know Coach K and are closely associated with Duke basketball?

I don't think anyone wants to make a snap decision. It's always good to wait and then make a decision after weighing all options. As Coach Few did concerning Josh Heytvelt.

Cure: Jack him in the jaw. Then grab some urine and blood for analysis. Off to counseling with him. Suspend him for fully 1 month off depending on how his counseling goes. Continue counseling .
    Solution number 1 often does wonders. Of course the PC types wouldn't agree with it but ...........

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Hmmm, last night he said that Allen apologized, and that was good enough for him. What made him change his mind?
    Lawyers talked to him about liability. Something must ostensibly be done. Can't let an apparent mad man loose after this. OR the University would be on the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I can't nor won't heap any praise on Coach K. Give the kid a break after the first one last year... I'm OK with that. Instead, you get an enabled GA who thinks he can get away with it... so he does it again. Coach K... whom some are praising here... does basically nothing. So why heap praise on him now when, from what I can tell, he was about to let him off the hook again last night because he apologized? Instead, I suspect the AD and school likely stepped in and forced Coach K to do something. If he can make it exactly one game, you know he will. The reality is... they'll be forced to take their lumps against V-Tech and will play without him. After that it is GTech and BC... which equate to meaningless games... so really a 3 game suspension will basically be one.

You know what would make me respect Coach K... how about suspending 10 games, requiring him to get counseling... and barring him from all practices and team functions. THAT would garner respect. Not an open ended we can get him back whenever we want or need him garbage like he is doing right now. He should be caring about the kid and getting him help... not worrying about Ws... he's had enough of those in his life that potentially sacrificing a few for the sake of one of his players would be far more noble.
    Here's what I'd respect and expect, if I were in administration there:

"GA has emotional-psychological issues, akin to any medical injury, ones he needs help working through. The university will get him that help with a 3rd party professional and expect GA to use it to his greatest ability with the full support of the Duke community. The university will reinstate him as a player after being cleared by the professional in the same manner done with medical injuries. There will be no further comment or information by Duke University until GA is reinstated."
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

"GA has emotional-psychological issues, akin to any medical injury, ones he needs help working through. The university will get him that help with a 3rd party professional and expect GA to use it to his greatest ability with the full support of the Duke community. The university will reinstate him as a player after being cleared by the professional in the same manner done with medical injuries. There will be no further comment or information by Duke University until GA is reinstated."
    Spot on, Dix.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Lawyers talked to him about liability. Something must ostensibly be done. Can't let an apparent mad man loose after this. OR the University would be on the hook.
    No doubt Abe, the checks are still going out to their Lacrosse team.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

IMO, that would create far more questions, the media would go crazy and hound Coach K. The talking head shows on Fox and ESPN would have daily segments, ratings would soar. For every die hard Dukie out there, there's at least two that despise Duke.

Not me, though, my reservoir of ire is filled by BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Yes, he's a hothead with clear emotional control issues. Yes, he could hurt somebody seriously. And Yes, he should be suspended for a long time.

But, yeesh, can we please hold off with armchair diagnoses? I'm all for basketball speculation, but suggesting a diagnosis as serious as bipolar because of a few incidents on the court where he looks like a jerk who can't control his emotions is a HUGE leap and one that serves to actually downplay the seriousness of those mental health conditions. Just my opinion...
    and potential substance abuse.

Let's all assume GA is a relative and react accordingly. TMZ/guboards yeesh

It's not just his on the court behavior, but mainly his off the court behavior. His behavior after he got pulled from the game (especially) and at the presser was disturbing. Something was off.

I have no idea if something is seriously wrong with him, but I don't think it is something that can be ruled out. Suggesting that mental illness or substance abuse could be an issue is reasonable. It isn't National Enquirer work. I'm just saying that people need to think about this before they just call him a jerk or whatever. I wouldn't say this if I had not witnessed the off the court behavior last night.

Not that he doesn't deserve to be punished for his tripping behavior...regardless of the reason why he is doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    and potential substance abuse.

Let's all assume GA is a relative and react accordingly. TMZ/guboards yeesh
    You just made my point. Social media makes paparazzi look reasonable, and those are the guys that killed Princess Diana. Let's not do the same thing to GA.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    It's not just his on the court behavior, but mainly his off the court behavior. His behavior after he got pulled from the game (especially) and at the presser was disturbing. It wasn't an acting job or an act of contrition.

I have no idea if something is seriously wrong with him, but I don't think it is something that can be ruled out. Suggesting that mental illness or substance abuse could be an issue is reasonable. It isn't National Enquirer work.
    Deep and wide rabbit hole....that one is on internet forum

Thats the point. For whatever reason, he is not able to do that, interact in a normal way, and he needs professional help to learn to do so.
    I had a relative whose behavior paralleled GA's. It's a tough spot to be in from any angle. I believe that Duke has the resources to provide help, and I hope that it happens.

I'm failing to see how suggesting that someone might have a mental health issue as opposed to being a jerk as an explanation for his behavior is somehow a bad thing. If anything, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but whatever......

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I'm failing to see how suggesting that someone might have a mental health issue as opposed to being a jerk as an explanation for his behavior is somehow a bad thing. If anything, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, but whatever......
    CD, I think we are all grappling with this situation....watching GA on the bench was very uncomfortable for me, hence my comment early on that this isn't a Draymond Green thing -- playing to the crowd, all the while smirking -- its a serious problem. Seems like overwhelmingly the board is coming down on the side of less punitive and more therapeutic.....

Just watched the Grayson Allen "trip" video again. There's more to the incident than just the trip. Watch Allen's arm and hand movements after the trip occurs. What does it look like to you? It looks to me like he wants to continue his assault on the Elon player. Grayson Allen needs serious help.
    Last edited by ProVeeZag; 12-22-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Clarify wording

Thats the point. For whatever reason, he is not able to do that, interact in a normal way, and he needs professional help to learn to do so.
    Jazz, at some point he needs to make a reasonable decision on his own and take the steps needed to learn how to interact. If he doesn't own up to his role in this he risks being sidelined or worse. Manzel never could do that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

After watching this short video clip of the tantrum on twitter, I deleted the "Karate Kid" meme I'd posted earlier (and fiddy's quote of the pic). Just didn't seem funny to me anymore, as the kid does seem to have problems ... and I hope he gets help.

https://twitter.com/patmuldowney/sta...99048748019712

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Jazz, at some point he needs to make a reasonable decision on his own and take the steps needed to learn how to interact. If he doesn't own up to his role in this he risks being sidelined or worse. Manzel never could do that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Kitz, thats all part of the therapy he seems to so desperately need.....but now Im conjecturing......GoZags just put the final point on the situation.