• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azzagfan
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zagguy View Post
    Huh? Absolutely no comparison. As a grad of a Jesuit university I am in awe of your lack of logic.
    However, the "as a grad of a Jesuit university" phrase does continue with the overall self-righteous theme of the thread.

Comment

• Worthington
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by azzagfan View Post
      I'm not sure how there is no comparison. We all seem to believe that Gonzaga and Mark Few would be blameless in a similar situation, and I'm not sure we can state that to be true. I'm certain there are other WCC schools who looked at the Perkins situation and said something very similar about Gonzaga and Few that people are saying about Duke and Coach K. People are acting like Allen has committed aggravated assault. He's certainly going to be under scrutiny in every game he plays for the rest of college, and he's earned that without question, but I have a very hard time believing that Coach Few would kick a consensus preseason all-American and preseason Player of the Year off the team for a tripping incident that happens during competitive play.
      I know I'm in the minority, but I agree.

Draymond Green has a habit of kicking people in the groin in the NBA and no one in their right mind at that level suggests he should be getting a year long suspension. Grayson Allen is a kid with really poor impulse control on the basketball court. I don't think he goes out there intending to hurt people, nor do I really think his actions have led to anybody coming that close to being seriously injured. Clearly a strong message should be sent to deter him from doing this, but kicking him off the team could potentially ruin his playing career and in no way do I think that is a proportionate response to his actions. These types of actions are usually treated with technicals, flagrant/unsportsmanlike fouls, and then finally incremental suspensions, not a hair trigger destruction of a kid's life who by all other accounts seems to be a fine young person.

Comment

• bartruff1
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

Saint John Stockton is near universally described by his peers as the dirtiest player in the NBA during his career...

He is reported to have a net worth of 40 million .......

Comment

• kitzbuel
          • Feb 2007

If I were flying out of bounds into someone on the other team like that I might well do the same thing. I would rather them eat it than me.
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Apparently seconds after Grayson flew out of bounds last night, some kid took the video, did some Zapruder-like zoom thing to it, and put it up on twitter. Naturally, the tweet set off a firestorm before the game had even finished.

I am starting to get sick and tired of the Grayson Allen-watch. I mean, Duke put it upon themselves by putting him back out on the floor after one loss, but still, as a college basketball fan, I'm getting tired of it. Plays that happen all over the country every night are going to be scrutinized beyond all reason if Allen is involved. Every pick he fights through, every rebound he goes after, etc.

Comment

• seacatfan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2014

Duke and Allen brought it on themselves, of course they are going to be scrutinized to the 9th degree. You can't expect otherwise. I don't have even a smidgen of sympathy for them.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I don't have sympathy either, but I feel as though the people who are being punished are college basketball fans who just want to watch the games and not be bothered with the nonsense. Maybe ESPN should create their own Grayson Allen tracker website. If you want the latest on every pick he goes through, every rebound he goes after, you can monitor the website.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                  If I were flying out of bounds into someone on the other team like that I might well do the same thing. I would rather them eat it than me.
                  It didn't look much like he was trying to soften the landing and looked more like he was trying to push the bench guy out of his way. If he thought that was the best way to avoid hurting himself, so be it. If a Zag did it I would 99.9% give him a pass on it. Grayson? It's admittedly a lot harder.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                    It didn't look much like he was trying to soften the landing and looked more like he was trying to push the bench guy out of his way. If he thought that was the best way to avoid hurting himself, so be it. If a Zag did it I would 99.9% give him a pass on it. Grayson? It's admittedly a lot harder.
                    The Florida St bench coach said recently that he didn't think it was malicious, so that's good enough for me...

Comment

• bartruff1
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2010

The kid played like a All American today....good for him...

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Allen with another tripping incident vs. Pitt:

Comment

• seacatfan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2014

I didn't see that before. Huh. That one "might" have been accidental, but this idiot gets zero benefit of the doubt at this point. I've noticed in recent games other teams are getting pretty chippy with Allen. They've seen enough and they aren't going to put up with it. A more significant retaliation may still come at some point this season.

Did you see the one from a week ago or so where he decided to walk right thru the middle of the other team on the sideline after a break in the action? Easily could've taken a couple steps to go around, but not Allen. Such an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                          X