Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. Duke actually does the right thing and suspends Grayson indefinitely

Default O.T. Duke actually does the right thing and suspends Grayson indefinitely

Acted before the league did, lets see how long "indefinitely" actually is, my guess is for the exact amount of time the ACC decides.

Good move. Coach K shows leadership and why he is who he is

Kid needs professional help.

My guess is "indefinitely" means 3 games, maybe 4 games...

He'll "do all the right things", apologize and act contrite, yada yada.

I suspect he'll be re-integrated vs. FSU, just in time for the game vs. L'Ville.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Good move. Coach K shows leadership and why he is who he is
    Hmmm, last night he said that Allen apologized, and that was good enough for him. What made him change his mind?

I imagine this will cure it..... I am still waiting to hear when North Carolina does the right thing....and I don't mean the bathroom law..

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I imagine this will cure it..... I am still waiting to hear when North Carolina does the right thing....and I don't mean the bathroom law..
    Don't hold your breath, bart...please...

That kid has a screw loose... what a shame. So much talent but hasn't matured past the early teen hormonal, out of control development stage.

Apparently the ACC has accepted Duke's "indefinitely" suspension which means Duke could decide he plays after sitting out one game. I doubt that will happen, I'm guessing 3-4 games, but it seems like they just handed it over to Duke without knowing what the suspension would actually be.

Indefinitely probably means one game. If we are being serious here we shouldn't give kudos until we know what the real punishment is.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Someone posted on ESPN or Yahoo or whatever, something about 'can you imagine what it's like for the girls he dates?'. Which is something to think about, hate to play armchair pysch but he seems a bit unhinged. His breakdown on the bench and then again in the press conference was disturbing. Something is going on there.

I say again, the young man has major emotional issues...they go beyond hoops. I am guessing K knows this and is understandably concerned...Really not appropriate to excoriate the kid, he's troubled. IMO

Oh please with the posts praising coach Rat Head. If you want to make a statement you come out with a 5 game suspension. Not "indefinitely" aka when we really need a win. If Duke loses, he will be back the next game. Tired of this all holy mantra of duke. Coach K is a whiner on the sidelines as well, Grayson is a spoiled brat, and if his coach would have treated Grayson accordingly from the beginning, tripping incident 1 wouldnt have turned into incident 2, and incident 2 wouldnt have turned in to 3. Not praising Duke or Coach K for having the option to lift suspension whenever they want. Take a hard stance-- something you should have done long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Indefinitely probably means one game. If we are being serious here we shouldn't give kudos until we know what the real punishment is.

exactly. Coach K deserves 0 credit in this situation. 3rd time it happened.

He put him back in the game when Elon got close.

I can't nor won't heap any praise on Coach K. Give the kid a break after the first one last year... I'm OK with that. Instead, you get an enabled GA who thinks he can get away with it... so he does it again. Coach K... whom some are praising here... does basically nothing. So why heap praise on him now when, from what I can tell, he was about to let him off the hook again last night because he apologized? Instead, I suspect the AD and school likely stepped in and forced Coach K to do something. If he can make it exactly one game, you know he will. The reality is... they'll be forced to take their lumps against V-Tech and will play without him. After that it is GTech and BC... which equate to meaningless games... so really a 3 game suspension will basically be one.

You know what would make me respect Coach K... how about suspending 10 games, requiring him to get counseling... and barring him from all practices and team functions. THAT would garner respect. Not an open ended we can get him back whenever we want or need him garbage like he is doing right now. He should be caring about the kid and getting him help... not worrying about Ws... he's had enough of those in his life that potentially sacrificing a few for the sake of one of his players would be far more noble.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I said after the incident in a post last night that the fact that he did this in a game vs. Elon speaks volumes. One of the other tripping incidents happened against Louisville last season - a game where I can see someone trying to get an illegal competitive advantage. Duke, in theory, should be able to beat Elon with their hands tied behind their back. As others have suggested, his extreme emotional reactions after the game really suggest that he could possibly have some underlying mental health/emotional problems. I really hope that during this time off that Duke looks into whether something is troubling the kid psychiatrically. I'm serious about this. That's more important than basketball right now.

It wasn't surprising to see the "Standing O's" from Duke fans when GA was put back in the game.

Worst part of it is the Duke homer that works in my officer isn't here today. OTOH, the coworker from Syracuse is...lol.

Someone brought up Christian Laettner is this thread. Did anyone ever see the ESPN 30/30 special "I Hate Christian Laettner." What a title If you google it, you can watch the program online.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I say again, the young man has major emotional issues...they go beyond hoops. I am guessing K knows this and is understandably concerned...Really not appropriate to excoriate the kid, he's troubled. IMO
    Disagree, Jazz. He needs to figure out how to use his talent and interact normally with others.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I can't nor won't heap any praise on Coach K. Give the kid a break after the first one last year... I'm OK with that. Instead, you get an enabled GA who thinks he can get away with it... so he does it again. Coach K... whom some are praising here... does basically nothing. So why heap praise on him now when, from what I can tell, he was about to let him off the hook again last night because he apologized? Instead, I suspect the AD and school likely stepped in and forced Coach K to do something. If he can make it exactly one game, you know he will. The reality is... they'll be forced to take their lumps against V-Tech and will play without him. After that it is GTech and BC... which equate to meaningless games... so really a 3 game suspension will basically be one.

You know what would make me respect Coach K... how about suspending 10 games, requiring him to get counseling... and barring him from all practices and team functions. THAT would garner respect. Not an open ended we can get him back whenever we want or need him garbage like he is doing right now. He should be caring about the kid and getting him help... not worrying about Ws... he's had enough of those in his life that potentially sacrificing a few for the sake of one of his players would be far more noble.
    +1

Imagine if some kid blew out an ACL due to his tripping habit........

It's scary to think about. In some ways it's worse than a guy who swings his elbows after rebounds or when he's trying to make an offensive move while under defensive pressure.

The great thing about being Duke is they could suspend him the whole ACC if they wanted, and when it came time for seeding, all of their loses wouldn't count in the eyes of the committee.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Disagree, Jazz. He needs to figure out how to use his talent and interact normally with others.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thats the point. For whatever reason, he is not able to do that, interact in a normal way, and he needs professional help to learn to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Thats the point. For whatever reason, he is not able to do that, interact in a normal way, and he needs professional help to learn to do so.
    Allen may be bi-polar. . .his behavior hints at it. It could be a lot of things we aren't privvy to (nor should we be). I concur with you, jazz, he needs help to get whatever demons he's battling under control.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson