Steve Wade‏ @swade20 3h3 hours ago
    Gonzaga's Donny Daniels checking in on prime target 6'5 wing 2019 DJ Rodman
    Also expressed he was blown away by skill of 2021 Obinna Anyanwu

Comment

• johno
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
      Here in North Texas, it's taken for granted that many parents will hold their children back a year, strictly for the purposes of physical maturity for athletics. In the 20 years I've lived in Irving, I've seen it, my sons have experienced it. The town of Southlake is notorious for that. When our 7th grade team plays their 7th grade team, in actuality we're going against 8th (sometimes 9th) graders. Across the board, their players are a head taller and 20-30 pounds heavier. A couple of years ago, our 8th grade team was getting pounded...it was 35-0 at the start of the second quarter. I was sitting with a parent new to the area, and we were surrounded by parents from the other school.

When I explained to the other parent what the deal was, I heard nothing but crickets from the Southlake group. It's worked for them in the past, but we mostly catch up by HS varsity level.

Regarding the young man in question, I'm simply saying it may not be due to academic concerns, and I don't think comments like those are helpful.
      It happens in Spokane a lot too. As a "naïve" parent I followed the school enrollment age criteria, but came to find out that many of the players on the athletic teams were often one or close to two years older. That's a lot when you are dealing with young kids. And the leagues, except for some baseball, make no distinctions based on age, it's all by grade.

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
        Gonzaga Guru Final 4 Retweeted
        Steve Wade‏ @swade20 3h3 hours ago
        Gonzaga's Donny Daniels checking in on prime target 6'5 wing 2019 DJ Rodman
        Also expressed he was blown away by skill of 2021 Obinna Anyanwu
        Obinna was 6'6 200lbs in 8th grade!!!!
        highlight vid from jan 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44dvIFq_e5g
        and who is the 6 year old he dishes to a few times for threes lol?

as far as Rodman Jr. goes, youve got to wonder how much his dad would be involved, practices, games, etc. the guy was one HECK of a ball player... and we'll leave it at that

Comment

• Zagdawg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Christian PoP'oola‏ @PremierBall 5h5 hours ago
          2019 7'3 C Matt Van Komen; PG (UT) @UtahProspects receiving strong interest from Gonzaga, Utah, BYU, Baylor and Florida St. Trending UP��

7'4 Freshman Matt Van Komen is the tallest freshman in the country. At the 2016 Underclassman All American Game the Class of 2019 prospect from Utah showed ...

Comment

• Coach Crazy
            • Apr 2011

2019 7'3 C Matt Van Komen; PG (UT) @UtahProspects receiving strong interest from Gonzaga, Utah, BYU, Baylor and Florida St. Trending UP��

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kKm6DzsyC4
            Shawn Bradley part deux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• cggonzaga
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kKm6DzsyC4
              Interesting we'd be looking at this kid but not Riley Sorn from Richland. Sorn looks better imo (I know Sorn will be a senior next year vs this kid being a sophomore but still).

Comment

• Bogozags
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cggonzaga View Post
                Interesting we'd be looking at this kid but not Riley Sorn from Richland. Sorn looks better imo (I know Sorn will be a senior next year vs this kid being a sophomore but still).
                In four years he will be a one and done...nice shot but sure needs some muscle/weight to add on to that frame...is he Morman, if so then BYU/Utah probably have inside track unless he blows up...IMO

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                  • Apr 2011

2019 Recruits

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                  In four years he will be a one and done...nice shot but sure needs some muscle/weight to add on to that frame...is he Morman, if so then BYU/Utah probably have inside track unless he blows up...IMO
                  He is most likely LDS. But I don't think that's an instant plus for BYU/Utah. With most universities willing to accommodate a mission, it makes more factors relevant again.

This kid needs to eat a sandwich...or 1,000. Not an NBA prospect, at this point.

Last edited by Coach Crazy; 05-13-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

2019 7'3 C Matt Van Komen Sophomore Season Highlights 2016-17

1st Team All-State, 1st Team All-Region 4AAU team- Exum Elite 17U7’4” 225lbs. Class of 2019Pleasant Grove High School, Pleasant Grove, Utah

Comment

• scrooner
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Check out Matthew Van Komen's high school sports timeline including updates while playing basketball at Pleasant Grove High School (UT).

Sophmore stats: 19.3 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 5.3 BPG

It only says 4 games played though....not sure why.

Comment

• BavarianZag
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Dec 2008

Matthew is a co-workers son and is really just starting to get serious. He will improve a huge amount this next year.

He's not LDS, so that shouldn't be any kind of a hurdle.

I happen to think he'd lean Zag if we were to give him some love. Not sure where he is on the staff's list but I'm pretty confident where the Zags are on his list.

Comment

• Zags_Fanatic
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by BavarianZag View Post
                          Matthew is a co-workers son and is really just starting to get serious. He will improve a huge amount this next year.

He's not LDS, so that shouldn't be any kind of a hurdle.

I happen to think he'd lean Zag if we were to give him some love. Not sure where he is on the staff's list but I'm pretty confident where the Zags are on his list.

This is awesome info, thanks for posting!

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

I agree with cqq. The kid in Richland is a serious player. Much advanced. May be headed to a program already though.
                            Last edited by MDABE80; 05-15-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2009

Saw Sorn in person at the state tourney in Tacoma this yr. Has some touch and footwork imo, and can block shots w/ pretty good timing, but is very much a project at this point; like a Foster or Edwards. Needs to gain a lot of strength and quickness to play v Arizona or Carolina. Numbers tell it; if he was a legit high major at this point he'd be getting at least 25 and 15 playing out there. MIght be worth a try w/ the 13th scholly and a RS yr. You never know w/ a young big guy and you can't teach height.

Comment

• former1dog
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

I'm as excited by really tall basketball players as the next guy, but both of the tall kids in this thread don't look like guys who could contribute on a very good D1 basketball team. Too thin, too slow and not strong enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X