Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    When's the last time we had a 6'1 sg?
    Pangos and Bell were both 6'2 and shared the guard duties.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Pangos and Bell were both 6'2 and shared the guard duties.
    Plus Stockon was in the mix with those 2. When you look at our rosters for the last 5 years those are really the only guys we have had under 6'3 seeing many minutes.

Dan Dickau was one of the 'failed' guards, being only 6'0". He was a point guard though, and couldn't shoot!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

2019 must be a down year for shooting guards. There's only one 5* sg, Bryan Antoine. We have offered the #2 sg, Cassisu Stanley, but I haven't heard if he's interested. The #5 sg in the nation, PJ Fuller is from Seattle, but we're not even mentioned as having recruited him. As Maynard mentioned, maybe SHawn Kemps kid could be a surprise recruit for us at sg.
    He named his top 5 schools and we were not on the list.

There are guards that are short and there are guards that are short.... and have All American and professional level skills...

They are not one and the same.. there is no equivalency based upon height at any position.....

Noah Williams visited during team camp.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....-blog-thursday

2019 must be a down year for shooting guards. There's only one 5* sg, Bryan Antoine. We have offered the #2 sg, Cassisu Stanley, but I haven't heard if he's interested. The #5 sg in the nation, PJ Fuller is from Seattle, but we're not even mentioned as having recruited him. As Maynard mentioned, maybe SHawn Kemps kid could be a surprise recruit for us at sg.
    Fuller is an absolute freak athlete, but I don't see him fitting into the Zag system. Not really a good shooter or passer from what I've seen. High flying dunker though. More of a fit for some team like Pitino's Louisville, or Huggins' W Va imo.

2020 Marjon Beauchamp of Garfield would be a great get imo, but isn't listed as a Zag recruit. 20th in the class of 2020, recruited by blue bloods. Highly skilled 6'6 wing.

Balsa Koprivica was offered by Gonzaga yesterday, the same day John Stockton's Griffins (Anton Watson, Liam Lloyd, and Samuel Stockton) played against his AAU team in the Peach Invitational. Helps that the 2019 5-star 7'1" Koprivica played with Filip Petrusev at the same high school & for Serbian FIBA teams

Surprised there has been no mention of this yet

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    Balsa Koprivica was offered by Gonzaga yesterday, the same day John Stockton's Griffins (Anton Watson, Liam Lloyd, and Samuel Stockton) played against his AAU team in the Peach Invitational. Helps that the 2019 5-star 7'1" Koprivica played with Filip Petrusev at the same high school & for Serbian FIBA teams

Koprivca and Petrusev could set in motion a Serbian recruiting branch for Zags international recruiting tree already featuring limbs into France, Canada, Lithuania, Japan...
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post

He would be a big time recruit for us! I like our chances of bring him in next to Filip!

Fun time to be a Zag fan.

John Gershon just predicted that Martynas Arlauskas will commit to the Zags. Now I am fully aware this is on 247 and in the VIP section, but please understand that I am not a VIP user and I am smart enough to know that when there is 1 prediction for a player made today and the Zags are not 100% predicted to land him that the prediction made by John was for the Zags. Just saying so I do not get in trouble!!!

I am doing some research on him and he just turned 18. Makes me wonder if he is one of the ones that GoZag has been "hearing" about.

And yesterday there was a second prediction of Duke for Timme. Now both guys who picked them are Duke writers and there is no sign of an offer yet.

My guess the interview on his main page is the reason why Duke is popping up for him.

https://247sports.com/Player/Drew-Timme-45572951/

John Gershon just predicted that Martynas Arlauskas will commit to the Zags. Now I am fully aware this is on 247 and in the VIP section, but please understand that I am not a VIP user and I am smart enough to know that when there is 1 prediction for a player made today and the Zags are not 100% predicted to land him that the prediction made by John was for the Zags. Just saying so I do not get in trouble!!!
    John wrote about Arlauskas and Gonzaga back in February so something must have come up for him to officially add his prediction.

This excites me for two reasons: I'll take any high level Lithuanian players we can get and it will mean more participation from JStock here on GUboards.

Here is the article from early this year: https://247sports.com/Article/Martyn...ges-115312140/

Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    John wrote about Arlauskas and Gonzaga back in February so something must have come up for him to officially add his prediction.

This excites me for two reasons: I'll take any high level Lithuanian players we can get and it will mean more participation from JStock here on GUboards.

Here is the article from early this year: https://247sports.com/Article/Martyn...ges-115312140/
    Yeah something must have come up, as we have heard very little about him since February. I also like the point guard (Rokas Jokubaitis) who plays on the same team as him, maybe we can get a combo deal as they are both 2000 born prospects.

Yeah something must have come up, as we have heard very little about him since February. I also like the point guard (Rokas Jokubaitis) who plays on the same team as him, maybe we can get a combo deal as they are both 2000 born prospects.

Some recent highlights of Arlauskas from this past season with BC Zalgiris, playing alongside Kevin Pangos. I can definitely see a little Manu in his game.

**Thread derailer on another slow day**

Think it's too late for the Zags to get in on Manny Machado?
    "but I did not shoot the deputy...."

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    **Thread derailer on another slow day**

Think it's too late for the Zags to get in on Manny Machado?
    Haha that is funny because that is all I see on twitter today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DagsZags View Post

Some recent highlights of Arlauskas from this past season with BC Zalgiris, playing alongside Kevin Pangos. I can definitely see a little Manu in his game.
    Agreed. I think with Pangos playing with him that will definitely help the Zags in recruiting him. He is a young 18, but could he come this year instead of next? 6'8 Small Forward, a year with Rui to work under then hand and Watson's the reigns of the future?

He's seems to have that motor and nose for the ball like a shorter Domas. Plus as far as I can tell in a decade or so he will be dating Kirsten Dunst:

Agreed. I think with Pangos playing with him that will definitely help the Zags in recruiting him. He is a young 18, but could he come this year instead of next? 6'8 Small Forward, a year with Rui to work under then hand and Watson's the reigns of the future?
    I hope he can join the Zags this year too! I think it would be great for him and Petrusev to get a year under their belts together as Zags.

Regardless of whether or not either would choose to redshirt, a year together practicing against the talent on this squad and acclimating to life in college would be a win-win. Also, w distinct possibility of Zags losing 3-4 key players from this year’s team (Perkins + probably at least two of: Rui, Tillie, Clarke, Norvell) having him here this year would help give the program some much needed D1 experience on hand for the 2019-20 campaign.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I hope he can join the Zags this year too! I think it would be great for him and Petrusev to get a year under their belts together as Zags.

Regardless of whether or not either would choose to redshirt, a year together practicing against the talent on this squad and acclimating to life in college would be a win-win. Also, w distinct possibility of Zags losing 3-4 key players from this year’s team (Perkins + probably at least two of: Rui, Tillie, Clarke, Norvell) having him here this year would help give the program some much needed D1 experience on hand for the 2019-20 campaign.
    Well said I couldn't agree more. The talent that will come in during 2019-2020 is going to be absurd, we just need some experience to help them.

Add Brian Snow to the 247 Prediction for Martynas. Something is happening is Zagland!

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...rtPredictions/

DraftExpress profile from January 2017:

STRENGTHS -Good physical profile for a wing prospect at 6' 6” with an excellent frame and decent length. At 16 years old may still be growing. Wide shoulders, frame should fill out really nicely. -Fluid athlete who can play above the rim in space. Great feet. -Killer mentality. Plays with a lot of passion. Very professional approach for his age. Speaks perfect English. Super mature game for his age. Son of a former player -Competitive defender who chases around shooters willingly. Will sit down in a stance. Uses his body to contain penetration. Whatever he lacks in elite twitch he makes up for in effort. Defends multiple positions. Fights through screens. In position off the ball. 2.6 steals per 40 minutes. -Capable spot shooter. Ball comes out cleanly when he has time and space. -Can attack a closeout in a straight line. Solid strides. Smart cutter. Plays an efficient game – 57% from two and 38% from three. -Comfortable playing out of ball screens. Can really pass. Plays a simple game. Hits the roll man accurately over the top. Can drive and kick to shooters. 4.8 assists to 1.3 turnovers per 40. Really knows who he is as a player and doesn't play outside of that. Willing to play a role.

WEAKNESSES -Good not great athlete in terms of burst and vertical explosiveness. More fluid than freaky. Plays mostly at one speed. -Checks a lot of boxes but isn't quite great in one area. -Streaky shooter. Can speed up his release – somewhat of a deep squat and a forward lean on his jumper. Easily fixed as he gets good rotation and has touch but could use some cleaning up. -Much better shooting off the catch than off the dribble. -Doesn't have a great knack for drawing contact around the rim – two free throw attempts in 96 minutes. -Not all that dynamic with the ball. Not going to change speeds or directions or break his man down in isolation situations. Limited to mostly straight line drives

OUTLOOK At the ripe age of 16, Arlauskas played a big role on the wing for a Zalgiris team that convincingly took home the title, as he started every game, regularly guarded the opponent's best player and posted a 22.4 PER while scoring efficiently and taking care of the ball. Arlauskas has a bright future as a role-playing wing who does a little bit of everything on both ends, with the potential to be more if his handle improves and he becomes a more dynamic shooter. Arlauskas' professional approach and killer mentality along with his tools, feel for the game, defensive acumen and shooting potential make him without a doubt one of the more intriguing wing prospects in Kaunas and a player to keep an eye on moving forward. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...lauskas-97440/ ©DraftExpress

Does his game remind anyone else of Micah Down’s game?