• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caldwellzag
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
    That was me speculating, I do not have any facts to go with it yet, but I have a call in to my buddy and hope he gets back to me soon.
    Sounding like Memphis is the most likely landing spot for him, but I don't see that Memphis gives him any more playing time than Duke, especially with some of the recruits Memphis is still right there on.

Comment

• harryzag
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

@AdamZagoria

Washington, Georgetown, Virginia, Arizona, Oregon, Gonzaga, Kansas,memphis, UCLA and Vanderbilt have all reached out on Boogie Ellis

Comment

• caldwellzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by harryzag View Post
        @AdamZagoria

Washington, Georgetown, Virginia, Arizona, Oregon, Gonzaga, Kansas,memphis, UCLA and Vanderbilt have all reached out on Boogie Ellis
        No surprise that we reached out, I just think it's an uphill battle, but we are good at winning these battles.

Comment

• harryzag
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by caldwellzag View Post
          Sounding like Memphis is the most likely landing spot for him, but I don't see that Memphis gives him any more playing time than Duke, especially with some of the recruits Memphis is still right there on.
          Is this the staffs opinion as well? Thanks for the insight!

Comment

• caldwellzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by harryzag View Post
            Is this the staffs opinion as well? Thanks for the insight!
            Have not heard back from my source on this one yet, so it is my opinion on the research I did. I think he fits at GU the best, but Memphis is seeming like the mostlikely landing spot.

Comment

• Zagdawg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Arizona.......???!!!! WTHeck ........ dont they have enough guards already?

Comment

• webspinnre
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                Arizona.......???!!!! WTHeck ........ dont they have enough guards already?
                Is there such a thing?
                I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• TheBunnieRancher
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Oct 2007

Why is it we are paranoid over trying to land Nix and Suggs while we watch schools like Arizona try corner the market on guards and generally succeed? We sit back and watch other schools stack up players and think we can't? Look at our 2019 class. How many bigs have we had commit for this next year and we're concerned we can't match up 2 guards? I'll go back into hibernation now.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

It is called negative recruiting. Some of these other coaches convince these kids that Gonzaga is not one of the big boys, and they will get more exposer to the nba scouts at their school. Of course this is not true, but these are high school kids, and are easily convinced by these big name coaches. These coaches are not any better, and usually not as good , as coach Few, but as good as he is, his name is not as big as some of these other coaches, which are build up as legends by espn.

Comment

• zagsfanforlife
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jun 2007

Found it interesting that ravet himself said there has been a lot of talk of him redshirting???

Comment

• willandi
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
                        Found it interesting that ravet himself said there has been a lot of talk of him redshirting???
                        I found that interesting too, but he said it was on blogs, not here and not from the coaching staff.
                        Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Regarding Boogie Ellis and him asking out of his LOI at Duke, I think he is worried he is going to be recruited over. He was an absolute no name recruit who just blew up and ended up in the top 40. He's only 6-2 and only weighs 165lbs. He never struck me as being a Duke like recruit. Especially with the way Coach K has been recruiting of late.

Comment

• CDC84
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

It is really getting harder and harder to use "negative" recruiting tactics against Gonzaga. Like the WCC thing. Does it really matter when the program is only one of three (the other 2 being blue bloods) to make five sweet 16's or better in 5 consecutive years since the start of the expanded bracket era? When they have been to the NCAA's 21 years in a row. When they have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next season.

I think "negative" recruiting is certainly something that coaches still use when it comes to GU, but it is a risky proposition. A lot of kids, and more importantly, their families, can smell a fraud. I have heard more than a few cases over the years where coaches who have used these tactics & have ended up getting burned. You are much better off selling YOUR program and what it has to offer than comparing it to other programs. My sense is that this is what the GU staff generally does.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

It sure sounds like Miller is pulling the wool over all kinds of players and their families eyes. Here is a guy caught right in the middle of the fbi investigation, caught on tape, and all these high ranked kids still flock to Arizona. This is a coach that has had all kinds of talent and still hasn't been to a final 4 , but top players still flock to his program, Why ? It does matter to a lot of these kids that the Zags play in the WCC. I have even heard several tv announcers, Jimmy Dykes is an example, that said last winter that since the Zags play in the WCC, there is no way they deserve a number 1 seed. There are a lot of these highly ranked kids that do listen to this crap. I know all about 5 straight sweet 16's, and 21 straight ncaa tournaments, but a lot of these kids don't, and neither do their families, especially the ones east of the Mississippi. This is what a lot of these other coaches use against the Zags.

Comment

Working...
                              X