Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 384445464748
Results 1,176 to 1,192 of 1192

Thread: 2019 Recruits

  1. #1176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post


    Just finished watching all 11 minutes of this. Man oh man, Timme can ball. He will probably having a great career no matter where he goes, but you know the coaching staff could really utilize his immense talent in some interesting ways.
    I think it was posted here a while back. I hate the overtly racist tile of the clip, but the content is excellent. Just really wish we could evolve from defining people by their skin color. Sigh.

  2. #1177
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Worthington View Post


    Just finished watching all 11 minutes of this. Man oh man, Timme can ball. He will probably having a great career no matter where he goes, but you know the coaching staff could really utilize his immense talent in some interesting ways.
    Can we get him to grow some Zag hair?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  3. #1178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Do any of you guys who are active on twitter know if someone tweeted BW telling him that the season hasn't even started yet and he's already been recruited over? I wonder if it's been acknowledged by him explicitly or implicitly.
    Some possibilities: First, if Brandon Williams recommitted to Arizona after Jahvon Quinerly was allegedly bribed by Book Richardson (following Williams' initial commitment), why would BW be expected to be any sharper re. the Mannion commitment?

    There's a possibility that Williams has more information than the general public, e.g. that Miller is planning to use a 2 PG lineup.

    Or it could be that Williams knows he's being recruited over and is just showing good sportsmanship, as opposed to sulking publicly or saying nothing.

  4. #1179
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Some possibilities: First, if Brandon Williams recommitted to Arizona after Jahvon Quinerly was allegedly bribed by Book Richardson (following Williams' initial commitment), why would BW be expected to be any sharper re. the Mannion commitment?

    There's a possibility that Williams has more information than the general public, e.g. that Miller is planning to use a 2 PG lineup.

    Or it could be that Williams knows he's being recruited over and is just showing good sportsmanship, as opposed to sulking publicly or saying nothing.
    Just sour grapes because we missed out on the kid. He’ll be a stud at Arizona and him and Mannion will form a really good backcourt. Williams would’ve been a huge get for GU but getting Crandall eased the loss of not getting him.

  5. #1180
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,529

    Default

    A two PG backcourt is not unheard of but I don’t recall Miller running one. Maybe Mannion projects out well enough as a shooting guard. I shared similar thoughts, though, about him potentially being recruited over. If Williams wanted to be “the man” somewhere, UofA probably wasn’t the place to go— but maybe that was never his goal. He would have had the keys to the car here next year and would have played significant minutes his year, most likely. Que sera sera...

  6. #1181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    A two PG backcourt is not unheard of but I don’t recall Miller running one. Maybe Mannion projects out well enough as a shooting guard. I shared similar thoughts, though, about him potentially being recruited over. If Williams wanted to be “the man” somewhere, UofA probably wasn’t the place to go— but maybe that was never his goal. He would have had the keys to the car here next year and would have played significant minutes his year, most likely. Que sera sera...
    Mannion is 100% a pg and BW is way to short to play sg full time. He was recruited over, plain and simple.

  7. #1182
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    431

    Default

    There is no such thing as being "recruited over".

    High level college basketball has no guarantees no matter what university the player commits. If Brandon had committed to Gonzaga, do you think Few, Lloyd, Daniels and the rest of the staff would have stopped looking for talent that was as good or better than him at the PG position?

    Do you think the recruitment of Timme is an indication that Petrusev is being "recruited over"?

    Players earn their playing time. They earn their starting positions. If a player shows up that is better than them, it isn't an indication that the coaching staff is "recruiting over" in some underhanded way. It's simply a matter of the coaching staff attempting to get the best possible talent on the floor.

  8. #1183
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    There is no such thing as being "recruited over".

    High level college basketball has no guarantees no matter what university the player commits. If Brandon had committed to Gonzaga, do you think Few, Lloyd, Daniels and the rest of the staff would have stopped looking for talent that was as good or better than him at the PG position?

    Do you think the recruitment of Timme is an indication that Petrusev is being "recruited over"?

    Players earn their playing time. They earn their starting positions. If a player shows up that is better than them, it isn't an indication that the coaching staff is "recruiting over" in some underhanded way. It's simply a matter of the coaching staff attempting to get the best possible talent on the floor.
    Bingo.

  9. #1184
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Mannion is 100% a pg and BW is way to short to play sg full time. He was recruited over, plain and simple.
    Miller will start Mannion and Williams together in a new york minute. Both are athletic enough to guard any 2 guard in the country and both can either play with the bal or off the ball.

    the notion that Williams has been "recruited over" before he even showed up makes no sense anyway. You dont know what you got until they both get there. Miller may turn out to be better than Mannion, or vice versa, you really dont know until they both have had the live bullets of college basketball fired at them
    Last edited by MileHigh; Today at 03:49 PM.

  10. #1185
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    There is no such thing as being "recruited over".

    High level college basketball has no guarantees no matter what university the player commits. If Brandon had committed to Gonzaga, do you think Few, Lloyd, Daniels and the rest of the staff would have stopped looking for talent that was as good or better than him at the PG position?

    Do you think the recruitment of Timme is an indication that Petrusev is being "recruited over"?

    Players earn their playing time. They earn their starting positions. If a player shows up that is better than them, it isn't an indication that the coaching staff is "recruiting over" in some underhanded way. It's simply a matter of the coaching staff attempting to get the best possible talent on the floor.
    yeah no....remember Perkins getting asked if he'd have a problem if Zags recruited Nigel?
    Dissent, insight and contextual discussion makes a website 'sticky' and engaging - not just predictable, safe position fanboyism. Monoculture is uninteresting and lacks intellectual depth.

  11. #1186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Miller will start Mannion and Miller together in a new york minute. Both are athletic enough to guard any 2 guard in the country and both can either play with the bal or off the ball.

    the notion that Miller has been "recruited over" before he even showed up makes no sense anyway. You dont know what you got until they both get there. Miller may turn out to be better than Mannion, or vice versa, you really dont know until they both have had the live bullets of college basketball fired at them
    Miller?

  12. #1187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    There is no such thing as being "recruited over".

    High level college basketball has no guarantees no matter what university the player commits. If Brandon had committed to Gonzaga, do you think Few, Lloyd, Daniels and the rest of the staff would have stopped looking for talent that was as good or better than him at the PG position?

    Do you think the recruitment of Timme is an indication that Petrusev is being "recruited over"?

    Players earn their playing time. They earn their starting positions. If a player shows up that is better than them, it isn't an indication that the coaching staff is "recruiting over" in some underhanded way. It's simply a matter of the coaching staff attempting to get the best possible talent on the floor.
    Yes I do. He wasn't just any other recruit, he was far and away the prized recruit for us, the wining and dining that took place was top notch. there's a little bit of revisionist history going on here.

  13. #1188
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Yes I do. He wasn't just any other recruit, he was far and away the prized recruit for us, the wining and dining that took place was top notch. there's a little bit of revisionist history going on here.
    If you believe Few and company would have passed on Mannion or any other comparable talent after securing Williams, you are na´ve. They aren't that stupid.

    They didn't pass on Nigel because they had Perkins.

    They won't pass on Timme because they have Petrusev.

    They didn't pass on Collins because they had Sabonis and Karnowski.


    There isn't anything more special about Williams than any of their other players.

  14. #1189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    If you believe Few and company would have passed on Mannion or any other comparable talent after securing Williams, you are na´ve. They aren't that stupid.

    They didn't pass on Nigel because they had Perkins.

    They won't pass on Timme because they have Petrusev.

    They didn't pass on Collins because they had Sabonis and Karnowski.


    There isn't anything more special about Williams than any of their other players.
    Then call me naive

  15. #1190
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Then call me naive
    thenaivewhozaggedme
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  16. #1191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    thenaivewhozaggedme

  17. #1192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    There is no such thing as being "recruited over".
    Yeah, I don't think it's that black and white though. While mostly I agree players aren't "recruited over" (it's obvious programs keep going after top talent and kids have to compete) I'm not so sure I'd feel that way if I was in Williams shoes. He committed then the Quinerly thing happened. I would feel recruited over in that scenario. I would not feel like I'm the point guard if someone else was paid to be there when I wasn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Miller will start Mannion and Williams together in a new york minute. Both are athletic enough to guard any 2 guard in the country and both can either play with the bal or off the ball.
    My first thoughts on hearing of Mannion's commitment were that Arizona is going to have a formidable backcourt when Gonzaga plays them, and that they would play together.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •