Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Games Thursday 8 December

Kinda reminds me of the Portland St debacle a ways back

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    Nevada Don's going to show up here pretty soon and punch somebody.... We have some good friends among the gaels, several of whom post here pretty regularly. Condolences are in order, I think
    Agreed. Don, MB and show are all great people. Love you all. Hopefully you pick it up and win more games. I'll root for you minus three games
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Very sad that some of the clowns showed up on this board tonight to take their uninformed, cheap shots which is so contrary to the vast majority here.
    Sorry, Don. I tried to think of some kind of milk-and-cookies comfort food for you and our other Gael friends who bring so much to guboards, but I came up empty. Dangit!

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    If that actually is the case and that's what happens again (this time for SMC) UTA will be in tournament AND SMC is a 4 seed. Lots of ball to be played

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    Students home for holidays. General admission folks who would usually fill those seats on the side visible to camera were sitting where students usually do. But yeah, UT Arlington not the kind of marquee game that fills seats. Too many other things to do in the Bay Area.

Terrible loss for us. You're right, everyone was off, pour me a stiff drink.
    Students go home on December 7th?! They get a month off?

AP Story on Gaels - UTA: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=400915769

MORAGA, Calif. -- Kevin Hervey scored 15 points and UT Arlington beat a Top 25 team for the first time in program history, shocking previously unblemished No. 12 Saint Mary's 65-51 on Thursday night.

The Mavericks (8-3) had gone 0-28 against ranked opponents dating to their first try in February 1967 before their big upset at McKeon Pavilion, where the Gaels had won eight straight and 23 of 24.

But Saint Mary's (6-1) never clicked against the scrappy UTA team while returning from a break for final exams for its first game since a win at Stanford on Nov. 30.

Jock Landale had a rare poor shooting performance, limited to 14 points on 3 of 10 from the floor and the Gaels had a season-low 11 assists.

The Mavericks, from the Sun Belt Conference, used quick, crisp passing to create open looks from the perimeter and the paint to outplay the Gaels early. Three times this season -- their lone three previous losses -- they squandered double-digit halftime leads in road losses at Minnesota, Florida Gulf Coast and Arkansas.
    From GIAG, one of their posters made this observation:

Props to UTA. Their length and athleticism exposed our somewhat slow and methodical offence, and made the Gaels scratch and claw for every single bucket. Outside of Fitzy's three to open the game, I can't recall one possession that looked 'easy'. The team was left to a lot of passing on the perimeter, contested entry passes in to Jock - and that's about it.

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Thanks ZagNative. I am very disappointed right now. Just as all of you would be if and when your beloved team goes down, for whatever reason.
    Stay Classy Spokane.
    Stay classy......Does that include calling people clowns because they have a negative view of a game?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Hoopaholic, I'd leave Nevada Don alone right now if I were you. Cut the disappointed and upset Gaels some slack for a while.

We just lost to an RPI Top 50 team. That may not stay the case (though their win tonight won't hurt them), and considering our who we already beat, our ranking, undefeated status and the fact we were playing at home it's absolutely a "bad" loss. But by itself it's a hiccup and won't keep us out of the tourney. I wouldn't be shocked if UTA cracks the Top 25 this year (nor would I be surprised if they don't to be fair). We'll be fine. The SMC/GU game will still be marquee and could feature two ranked teams for what, the second time ever, right? Work to do. Thanks for the kind words and condolences. Back to my drink.

I genuinely cheer for the gaels on most occasions. But to be honest, it has gotten harder to do that with the gaels playing easy ooc schedules and expecting to be treated as an elite team without going and playing tough teams on the road like the zags did to earn respect. It's presumptuous. And it gets old.

My jaw dropped when I saw the score. This is not good for the WCC or GU. The WCC had a pretty special thing going with two teams almost in the Top 10. Bummer.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

As a Zag fan, and WCC fan, not good. terrible loss for SMC and terrible for the league. This may throw SMC nearly out of the top 25.. prevents zags-smc from being undefeated when they face each other, and puts SMC in a position to win most every game outside of GU to get any where a decent seed. SMC starts to get a little pub and they lay an egg. UTA is a decent team, but man-- big loss. What happened to their super efficient offense? We will see when GU goes head to head with SMC, but i saw them vs an undermanned Dayton team and i thought GU was a good 10 points better than them. This effort wont change my mind much.

Always like watching SMC play...always hate the way rb schedules. Tough, tough loss and it doesn't change my opinion that SMC is a very good team.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    My jaw dropped when I saw the score. This is not good for the WCC or GU. The WCC had a pretty special thing going with two teams almost in the Top 10. Bummer.
    Exactly. This is a bigger deal than some are saying. WCC was getting more respect than ever as a conference and to have two teams in the top 10 would have made the noise even louder. Im not SHOCKED because UTA is a quality team, but losing like that? There goes SMC's buzz.

In all honest I don't know too many of us Gael fans who "expect" to be treated as an elite team. Most of us felt a #12 ranking and projection of a 3 seed was pushing the boundaries of reality. It's been fun to revel in, and we're not going away. Should give the Zags a handful. But not much presumptuousness from the regulars on our board. More cautious optimism and a hope that it wouldn't suddenly do what it did tonight.

UT-Arlington Mavericks beat Ohio State and Memphis last season.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

UT-Arlington plays at Loyola Marymount on December 22....

Their team last year is arguably as good as their team this year. They made the cit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    UT-Arlington plays at Loyola Marymount on December 22....
    Well that's conflicting

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Parrish getting hammered on ranking the Gaels ahead of the Zags in his poll:

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/s...91113676914688

I said it last week, I didn't think they were as good as their ranking.....rest my case

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Yikes you had to bring that up. I was at that game. I suppressed it until you brought it up. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    it has gotten harder to do that with the gaels playing easy ooc schedules and expecting to be treated as an elite team without going and playing tough teams on the road like the zags did to earn respect. It's presumptuous. And it gets old.
    Exactly this. The only reasoning I ever saw for the ranking was the starters returning. They play no one, byu is not showing up, the wcc is the same as it ever was

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Parrish getting hammered on ranking the Gaels ahead of the Zags in his poll:

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/s...91113676914688
    He burned that dude with sunglasses though lol

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Well, tonight I stumbled on this I posted eons ago in the Foo and it reminded me of Zag fans here giving St. Mary's fans a gentle nudge into the abyss with our snarky comments ,,,