Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there something I'm not seeing? How come I wasn't that impressed with fultz?

Some of you weren't impressed with Markannen at all either. Both are going to be lottery picks. Maybe give the Zags' defense some credit? Fultz really struggled in the 1st half, but pretty much scored at will after halftime. If you didn't see the potential....well I have no idea what to tell you. It was obvious.

A TSN write up on Fultz's performance last night, and really, UW's overall team effort. One potential issue with Fultz, according to this author, is Fultz's defense. It's his major weakness as a prospect:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...n1rkedxwwkx67j

I think people need to understand that when Gonzaga played Markannen, Arizona was down to so few players to where if Gonzaga focused the majority of their defensive effort into stopping him, there was little chance for Arizona to win. When it comes to Fultz, Gonzaga's entire team defense was designed to squash him. I don't care how talented a player is....if he doesn't have players around him, he's not going to show great when facing a well coached team with talent.

I suppose the best way to judge Fultz would be to square him off against a Pac 12 team that is as good as UW is.

"Is there something I'm not seeing?".............Yes

He just wanted a place to put up numbers and create film for the NBA scouts for a few months, then get drafted and collect his payday. At UW it would be all about him with no real responsibility to team or anything else. If he cared about anything else, he would have gone somewhere else. It's not like he didn't have options if he cared about player development and being relevant in college basketball. Guys like Fultz are who the D League should be for. Draft them out of high school into the D League and quit using colleges as a 1-year babysitting service.

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Hoo View Post
    He just wanted a place to put up numbers and create film for the NBA scouts for a few months, then get drafted and collect his payday. At UW it would be all about him with no real responsibility to team or anything else. If he cared about anything else, he would have gone somewhere else. It's not like he didn't have options if he cared about player development and being relevant in college basketball. Guys like Fultz are who the D League should be for. Draft them out of high school into the D League and quit using colleges as a 1-year babysitting service.
    You seem to have some serious vitriol towards Fultz, I've seen that pop up in several threads.

I will say that the hype as Miles said was that Fultz could be the #1 pick overall and I personally cannot see that. Top 10 pick for sure but #1 is supposed to be crazy special either athletically or skill wise or something. My thoughts go back to oden or Durant or cousins or Duncan or Carmelo. Guys that were just so special. I watched a long stretch in the first half where Melson was all over him and basically shutting him down. Just wasn't #1 pick blown away.

That's a good idea. One and done freshman can be a little disruptive to building college basketball teams.
    Parlez-vous français?

His spin move reverse is poetry in motion. Smooth as glass and the kid can shoot.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

He missed a lot of shots in the first half. Seemed like he could drive at will no matter who was guarding him. Started getting shots to drop in the 2nd half. Had some finishes in the lane in traffic that were fairly remarkable. The kind of plays most guys just can't make. Also has some smoothness to his game. Makes things look easy that aren't. Also doesn't seem to be going all that fast or quick yet other players can't keep up with him. I certainly see tons of potential for him. As was stated somewhere else he should've had a lot more assists, but that requires his teammates to make shots.

Default Different Strokes for different folks...

This reasoning helps explain NWG's exit from the UW program. Without comparing NWG to Fultz talent-wise, it appears Nigel wanted more than a stage from which to display his talents. Fultz may be perfectly happy at UW if he views it as a launching pad to the NBA. Fortunately for us Zag fans, Coach Few runs a program that focuses on team-oriented goals. While getting to the NBA is a side benefit for a few elite GU players, team success is paramount. FWIW, looking back a few years, I never quite understood why Austin Daye came to GU or, for that matter, why we recruited him.

I think a better question is how did Romar get this kid to come to UW? He is definitely not coming back for a sophomore year and he lives in MD. Any number of schools on the East coast could be his NBA application. I agree with the poster above, one and dones need to go to the D league.

Sending a kid across the country for 6-7 months at 18 with no intention of a degree playing in the PAC12, which is not incredible, when there are ACC/Big East/SEC teams which would get him exposure every single game in the biggest media markets in the US???? HOW??? The only thing I can think of is the fact that UW put 2 in the first round last year and has a history of one and dones. The other school of thought is, what is being promised/delivered? I prefer not to go there but I can't see it. No tradition of winning, no guarantees to the NCAA Tourney, no help by solid teammates to make him look better, no concern over schooling...

Quote Originally Posted by Colbyspapa View Post
    I think a better question is how did Romar get this kid to come to UW? He is definitely not coming back for a sophomore year and he lives in MD. Any number of schools on the East coast could be his NBA application. I agree with the poster above, one and dones need to go to the D league.

Sending a kid across the country for 6-7 months at 18 with no intention of a degree playing in the PAC12, which is not incredible, when there are ACC/Big East/SEC teams which would get him exposure every single game in the biggest media markets in the US???? HOW??? The only thing I can think of is the fact that UW put 2 in the first round last year and has a history of one and dones. The other school of thought is, what is being promised/delivered? I prefer not to go there but I can't see it. No tradition of winning, no guarantees to the NCAA Tourney, no help by solid teammates to make him look better, no concern over schooling...
    Since you did go there, its a valid point.. Little tradition, terrible coach, terrible team, no March Madness, and no offense, but there are nicer states climate wise than Washington..... Yet they continue to get 5** one and done prospects. Makes you wonder.

Sometimes try google for answers

. A native of Upper Marlboro, Maryland, Fultz also cited his relationship with UW assistant coach Raphael Chillious, a native of Olney, Maryland, as a factor in his decision.
    "I am so close to Coach Chillious that we don't even talk about basketball," Fultz said.
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ington-huskies

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Well it is on the internet, so it must be true!

Raphael Chillius, a Romar assistant, discovered Fultz as a 5'9 sophomore playing on the junior varsity. He developed a relationship with him before he was any kind of a prospect. He was loyal to the first staff to notice and recruit him. That's a positive character trait imo. He could have gone to Kentucky, but stuck with those who first paid attention to him, before he was even close to being a top 100 recruit.

Reminds me of the Josh Perkins quote; "you gotta love the one who loves you".

It's better to be informed before spewing vitriol like this.

ETA- just noticed Seacat used the exact same word to characterize your post- vitriol. Didn't see that till after I posted. Telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbyspapa View Post

You too.....

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Kid just moves differently. Nothing like I've seen in the 18 yr old groups in a long time. He'll be a pro. Shoots a lot to arrive at his numbers scoring but he does a lot of other things too......like rebounding. Strong and mature kid. It'll be interesting when him and Ball meet up when UW plays UCLA.
    I want to see the match up, but UW will get nuked. Ball plays defense, UW doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I want to see the match up, but UW will get nuked. Ball plays defense, UW doesn't.
    Ball reminds me of a Steve Nash/Jason Kidd that can really Jump.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    UCLA might put up 120 vs that defense. Seriously.

[QUOTE=Zagceo;1255018]Sometimes try google for answers

I'll accept that. In sales relationships are everything.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    UCLA might put up 120 vs that defense. Seriously.
    The only word I would quibble with in your statement is "might". On the plus side for the Huskies, that may be a game in which Fultz gets 45.

Fultz has mad skills, no doubt about that. But if we are going to analyze last nights game as to how he might fare in the league, let's make sure we look at the real game. The first half was the game (Fultz was 3-14 I believe, with 6 points), and the second half was garbage time.

3-14 may not be indicative of his true skill set, but let's not genuflect at his overall production, since at least half of it was in garbage time. I do feel bad for him in that he is surrounded by guys who won't play any defense and seemingly have a severely over inflated sense of their basketball skills.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Fultz has mad skills, no doubt about that. But if we are going to analyze last nights game as to how he might fare in the league, let's make sure we look at the real game. The first half was the game (Fultz was 3-14 I believe, with 6 points), and the second half was garbage time.

3-14 may not be indicative of his true skill set, but let's not genuflect at his overall production, since at least half of it was in garbage time. I do feel bad for him in that he is surrounded by guys who won't play any defense and seemingly have a severely over inflated sense of their basketball skills.

Go ZAGS
    Bingo! That 2nd half didn't do much to help the Zags going forward. It did, however, continue to shine the spotlight on our dreadful lack of defensive rebounding. Seriously, we've got to shore that up in a hurry.

Why is every Zag win 'tainted'? They didn't have this guy, that guy...they couldn't do this, that?

Seems like Gonzaga shut down some top notch players, Fultz included. Of course, almost half his points came after the rotation 8 were out of the game!

Gonzaga is that good!
    It's not funny.

Fultz reminds me of Kevin Durant. I saw Durant when Texas played in the Spokane first and second rounds of the dance a few years back. Seemed pretty effortless.