Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there something I'm not seeing? How come I wasn't that impressed with fultz?

..I saw flashes of brilliance ...like when he dunked on the 7-foot Collins ...oh wait!!! It was a clean block!!! I think they should have press conference with the refs after games where the fans can ask them questions about certain calls ...LOL
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Fultz has mad skills, no doubt about that. But if we are going to analyze last nights game as to how he might fare in the league, let's make sure we look at the real game. The first half was the game (Fultz was 3-14 I believe, with 6 points), and the second half was garbage time.

3-14 may not be indicative of his true skill set, but let's not genuflect at his overall production, since at least half of it was in garbage time. I do feel bad for him in that he is surrounded by guys who won't play any defense and seemingly have a severely over inflated sense of their basketball skills.

Go ZAGS
    Tacomazag that's a good point, when the full focus of the zags was on fultz and UW in the first half he goes 3-14. Just wasn't impressive to me. In garbage time (second half) of course he scores some but in the NBA hes going to have a 1st half defense all the time!

I don't know...can't shake the memories of Steph curry on a terrible Davidson team just carrying them all game every game no matter the opponent. That to me was a top 3 talent. Fultz has a long way to go imo.

Default Delusional

Quote Originally Posted by demian View Post
    I agree with you 100%
    Some of you people are completely delusional or so partisan that you lose sight of talent like that.
    1. he has no one to pass to on that team
    2. the body control and control of the ball is unmatched for a kid that age
    3. degree of difficulty in his shot making is already at an NBA level
    4. he got 25 on a poor shooting night against a really great defensive performance....if he shot well, he would have had 40.

I guarantee he will be a top 5 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by 23zagmd View Post
    Some of you people are completely delusional or so partisan that you lose sight of talent like that.
    1. he has no one to pass to on that team
    2. the body control and control of the ball is unmatched for a kid that age
    3. degree of difficulty in his shot making is already at an NBA level
    4. he got 25 on a poor shooting night against a really great defensive performance....if he shot well, he would have had 40.

I guarantee he will be a top 5 pick.

Agree, delusion is common here.

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    Tacomazag that's a good point, when the full focus of the zags was on fultz and UW in the first half he goes 3-14. Just wasn't impressive to me. In garbage time (second half) of course he scores some but in the NBA hes going to have a 1st half defense all the time!

I don't know...can't shake the memories of Steph curry on a terrible Davidson team just carrying them all game every game no matter the opponent. That to me was a top 3 talent. Fultz has a long way to go imo.
    Steph Curry played on a team of quick, undersized shooters. The Davidson coaches played a fast tempo, high-scoring style of ball that maximized the team's strengths AND showcased their best individual player. Their ball movement and shot selection were excellent. Curry could score 35 points within the flow of that offense and still create assists for other players.

I am not sure that Washington has a strategy for Fultz.

Where is this idea coming from that he only scored in garbage time? He had it going the entire 2nd half, long before the walk ons entered the game for GU. If you wanna go down that road, then half of NWG's and most of Karno's points came in garbage time as well. Are we gonna throw those stats out too?

Agree seacatfan. Few didn't get Alberts in there until about 7 minutes left, then Rui at about 3 or 4. True garbage time was only last two minutes, which Fultz was only on the court for about 30 second of if I remember correctly.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Steph Curry played on a team of quick, undersized shooters. The Davidson coaches played a fast tempo, high-scoring style of ball that maximized the team's strengths AND showcased their best individual player. Their ball movement and shot selection were excellent. Curry could score 35 points within the flow of that offense and still create assists for other players.

Well said. Davidson was far from a terrible team. McKillop is one of the best coaches around.

Default The whole game after the 15 minute mark of 1st half....

was garbage time! Cmon people, you all sound like a bunch of fanatics with blinders who wouldn't know talent if you ran right into it! One half does NOT define a player, his talent, nor his potential. He wasn't a Top 25 or whatever, recruit out of HS because he couldn't play. If he was a Zag, you would all be calling him the greatest guard we've ever recruited.

I love our guys but I'd take him for 3-4 years over any of the current guards on our roster based on what I've seen.

Furthermore, the comparisons to upperclassman like Curry are completely unfair. They all had a couple more years in a program to develop. This kid has had 8 games!!

Will somebody please put a stop to this drivel!

!
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Fultz has mad skills, no doubt about that. But if we are going to analyze last nights game as to how he might fare in the league, let's make sure we look at the real game. The first half was the game (Fultz was 3-14 I believe, with 6 points), and the second half was garbage time.

3-14 may not be indicative of his true skill set, but let's not genuflect at his overall production, since at least half of it was in garbage time. I do feel bad for him in that he is surrounded by guys who won't play any defense and seemingly have a severely over inflated sense of their basketball skills.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by 23zagmd View Post
    was garbage time! Cmon people, you all sound like a bunch of fanatics with blinders who wouldn't know talent if you ran right into it! One half does NOT define a player, his talent, nor his potential. He wasn't a Top 25 or whatever, recruit out of HS because he couldn't play. If he was a Zag, you would all be calling him the greatest guard we've ever recruited.

I love our guys but I'd take him for 3-4 years over any of the current guards on our roster based on what I've seen.

Furthermore, the comparisons to upperclassman like Curry are completely unfair. They all had a couple more years in a program to develop. This kid has had 8 games!!

Will somebody please put a stop to this drivel!

!
    Thanks 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

Got it! Fultz definitely should have gone to Davidson instead... You completely missed my point, Curry was game planned for night in and night out and hounded wherever he went and still lifted his team to a higher level both by scoring and involving his teammates. Yes mckillop is a good coach and better than Romar but pretty sure he's not going to develop another curry at Davidson. Steph is a special talent by himself not because of mckillop.

Let me put it a different way then. I saw more talent out of t Ross or Roy in the UW offense than out of Fultz when they were top 10 talents. Don't forget the experts are saying if the draft was today Fultz is the #1 pick in the world! That's every draft eligible player possible. Top 10 maybe, #1 I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Frame that quote!
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Sometimes though it's just a differing opinion. And sometimes the differing opinion is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Will Romar start talking about "virtual victories", or Trump building a "virtual wall." Where's George Orwell when you need him? lol

Stat geeks are salivating.
    Virtual victories and virtual assists...so virtually, UW is a FF team!

On the real side, he does have good teammates but they just don't know how to play together on either offence or defence. Maybe they will jell in time for the PAC-12 Men's Basketball Tournament and all of us will have to take back all those horrible things we have been saying about Romar and the team...

RIGHT!

I know Bob Mckillop, and Coach Romar is no Bob mckillop.

Got it! Fultz definitely should have gone to Davidson instead... You completely missed my point, Curry was game planned for night in and night out and hounded wherever he went and still lifted his team to a higher level both by scoring and involving his teammates. Yes mckillop is a good coach and better than Romar but pretty sure he's not going to develop another curry at Davidson. Steph is a special talent by himself not because of mckillop.

Let me put it a different way then. I saw more talent out of t Ross or Roy in the UW offense than out of Fultz when they were top 10 talents. Don't forget the experts are saying if the draft was today Fultz is the #1 pick in the world! That's every draft eligible player possible. Top 10 maybe, #1 I don't see it.
    So...Curry has won an NBA MVP. He's the most dangerous shooter from distance in the League currently, and he's in the conversation for best shooter EVER. Nobody is gonna measure up to that. If Fultz isn't the second coming of Curry, neither is anybody else. You've set the bar impossibly high there.

Roy was awesome his Sr. year. Ross was a nice player at UW, but I think Fultz can easily eclipse TR if he hasn't already. Neither of those guys could hold a candle to what Fultz has done so far during their respective Fr. seasons.

Fultz sure looked good to me. Took him a bit to get going well. Zags & McCarthy likely had something to do with that. The Kennel has to be a somewhat daunting place to play when the students are there. With the spiffy plays Zags were making it must have been pretty loud. 27-6 in a pretty short time has a way of taking the wind out of sails. UW needs a lot of work as a team but Fultz looks ready for any NBA team. Perhaps this loss to GU will light UW up in their efforts to play defense. I hope UW does well in the Pac12 - as much as I like watching them lose to any East side team.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

There are many factors that to a potential NBA career. At any one time only about 400-500 people on the planet and make the reasonable, legitimate, proclamation that they play in the NBA. Next year's draft will have about 60 players chosen and a fraction of them will stick for a few years. Is Fultz a lottery type talent? I don't know. That is not for me to decide. He, Fultz, my enter in the NBA draft at anytime, it's his privilege. It is my personal opinion that the Dub program in it's current state may not be the best avenue to showcase any potential NBA talent, but that is me. Best of luck to him.

The only thing I really learned from that game.....the rivalry is still dead...and may stay that way for some time, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    So...Curry has won an NBA MVP. He's the most dangerous shooter from distance in the League currently, and he's in the conversation for best shooter EVER. Nobody is gonna measure up to that. If Fultz isn't the second coming of Curry, neither is anybody else. You've set the bar impossibly high there.

Roy was awesome his Sr. year. Ross was a nice player at UW, but I think Fultz can easily eclipse TR if he hasn't already. Neither of those guys could hold a candle to what Fultz has done so far during their respective Fr. seasons.
    Again though Curry or Roy or Ross were never in the conversation for the #1 pick despite their greatness, talent or accomplishments in college. Just throwing around #1 pick is insanely high praise no matter the player! Durant didn't go 1, neither did Westbrook or CP or Wade or Lillard. Personally I think you fans of Fultz are setting the bar too high because the #1 pick needs to be as good as those players I just mentioned. Too much pressure.

Again though Curry or Roy or Ross were never in the conversation for the #1 pick despite their greatness, talent or accomplishments in college. Just throwing around #1 pick is insanely high praise no matter the player! Durant didn't go 1, neither did Westbrook or CP or Wade or Lillard. Personally I think you fans of Fultz are setting the bar too high because the #1 pick needs to be as good as those players I just mentioned. Too much pressure.
    Okay, that's a good point. I concede. Will be interesting to see if he does indeed go #1 overall. Gotta see how some of the other diaper dandies at Duke and Kentucky progress this year and Ball at UCLA. Might even be some non-freshmen in the running but I can't think of who off the top of my head.

If the game plan had been to shut the kid down, he pretty much would have been shut down. But it wasn't the plan.

That was another game showing why talented players should mark UW off their lists.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird