Is there something I'm not seeing? How come I wasn't that impressed with fultz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ezag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Is there something I'm not seeing? How come I wasn't that impressed with fultz?

I'm no basketball expert or NBA Scout but I wasn't particularly impressed with fultz (for all the hype), so what's the big deal about this guy anyways? Is it the potential?

EDIT:

After watching Fultz highlights again, I can see it. Basically the guy plays like he is exerting little effort in any capacity and scoring at will. Not sure why I didn't notice it as much in the heat of the game. Collins stuff was a thing of beauty though

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Ezag; 12-08-2016, 02:36 PM.
  • demian
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
    I'm no basketball expert or NBA Scout but I wasn't particularly impressed with fultz (for all the hype), so what's the big deal about this guy anyways? Is it the potential?
    I agree with you 100%

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
      It has to be the potential. Showed a few dazzling moves, but rarely passed and was nonexistent on defense...a perfect fit for the 76ers.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
        It has to be the potential. Showed a few dazzling moves, but rarely passed and was nonexistent on defense...a perfect fit for the 76ers.
        Him and quitter Simmons make a great pair!
        Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
          Him and quitter Simmons make a great pair!
          Just my luck the Mavericks will draft him. They had their chance with Olynyk, and they blew it. He would've been a great fit behind Dirk.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
            Just my luck the Mavericks will draft him. They had their chance with Olynyk, and they blew it. He would've been a great fit behind Dirk.
            Trust me as a Mavs fan myself that was disappointing wish we kept olynyk!
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Bouldin4Prez
              Kennel Club Alum
              • Nov 2009

I thought he was very good. He should have had 5-7 assists if anyone on his team could shoot. You guys need to remember that the rest of UWs team is AWFUL. For all the griping about Romar, I think his greatest deficiency is player development. Their offense has 0 flow and Fultz was required to do everything as a 18-19 year old. If I'm an NBA team, I want him. Who knows, maybe I saw things differently than you guys.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

It's just so hard to tell how good a player is when the entire defense is focused on stopping him, and so few players around him are close to his ability level. Fran had this to say about him last night:

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla · 13h13 hours ago  University Park, TX

A smart NBA team will track Markelle Fultz's "virtual assists." Those are passes to bad players that would normally be an assist.
                I have to admit.....the phrase "virtual assists" is kind of funny.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                  It's just so hard to tell how good a player is when the entire defense is focused on stopping him, and so few players around him are close to his ability level. Fran had this to say about him last night:

Will Romar start talking about "virtual victories", or Trump building a "virtual wall." Where's George Orwell when you need him? lol

Stat geeks are salivating.

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post

It makes sense to me. You need to have a way to evaluate people playing in a team sport that eliminates differences in teammates.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• ProVeeZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Jan 2011

Fultz' biggest mistake was committing to UW in the 1st place. Other than offensive rebounding, I thought the Huskies squad was woefully unprepared for this game. Mr. Romar is in for a v-e-r-y long season. This was my first viewing of Fultz; he'll probably do ok in the NBA but you wouldn't know that from watching him last night.
                      "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
                      —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

• Goshzagit
                        Zag for Life
                        • Dec 2007

Given his deficient coaching & team, tough to judge, yet i disagree with the OP, Fultz was the most electric, & offensively creative player I've seen this season.

While I'm more impressed with Lonzo Ball's ability to manage a game/team, Fultz is a next level scorer.

Has a nice looking stroke & was able to score around Karno, Collins, JW3 in the paint with ease, which earns my vote. His shot wasnt falling early. Took 14 shots in first 10 mins, but once he settled, he became unstoppable.

Also, 10 rebs for a 18 yr old guard is amazing.

Has some Russell Westbrook in him. Remember, Westbrook averaged 9ppg his Frosh season at UCLA.

NBA is about man vs man scoring. Fultz has that and then some.

He tried to defer but teammates just fumbled it away.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2007

After watching the replay this morning, I wonder if some posters mistakenly confused Fultz with Crisp and/or Thybulle.

I did on a few occasions. They look nearly identical on the court via TV cameras, they each have the same haircut too.

Fultz is a bit leaner and twice the athlete of either.

Markelle was a blur with the ball.

He still put up 25 & 10 (albeit 25 shots) vs a defense designed to stop him.

Comment

• isongd
                            Bulldog Fan
                            • Dec 2008

I'm not great at player eval but I can look at numbers (which I realize don't tell the entire story.) 23 points 7 boards and 6 dimes a game (not to mention a block and a half and 2 steals) looks pretty good to me to start the year. Also shooting .500 from the field.

Comment

• Goshzagit
                              Zag for Life
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by isongd View Post
                              I'm not great at player eval but I can look at numbers (which I realize don't tell the entire story.) 23 points 7 boards and 6 dimes a game (not to mention a block and a half and 2 steals) looks pretty good to me to start the year. Also shooting .500 from the field.
                              Exactly.

Not blind luck this kid is considered a Top 3 pick by every analysts, draft site, & scout on the planet.

Not just potential, big men are drafted on 'potential' alone.

6'4" and under guards better be damn good and the real deal to be drafted Top 5.

Fultz will be an instant scoring threat in NBA.

Comment

Working...
                              X