Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Japanese Phenom

Default The Japanese Freak

Dickau compared Rui to Giannis and while that may be a bit hyperbolic, the sky's the limit for this kid. He may be the best pure athlete to don a Zags jersey. He would be starting for over 50% of the teams in this country it with us he's the ninth man on the team. Holy cow this team is deep.
    Last edited by thespywhozaggedme; 12-02-2016 at 07:32 AM.

I was completely blown away by his athleticism. He is going to be really, really good.

He played a lot more within himself tonight, Few has got to be really pleased with what he saw. I hope there's a chance for him to get actual meaningful minutes later in the season so his progression gets even more fast tracked.

My new favorite player.
    Let him loose coach.

Impressive.

Wow!

Plays no fear ball when he wants to assert himself and forces his will when he does. Can't wait till he figures out the other parts of the game. NBA athlete for sure. Give me more RUI !!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Rui should be good. A longterm player for Gu, he'll benefit from the system. Get an Elias feel. Maybe more explosive.

these are the kind of games Rui can grow as a player and earn more PT.

Problem is, Gonzaga doesn't play a string of cupcakes early on like most teams do. He will get his run.

At whose expense though?

Also, probably won't be seeing much experimentation vs Zona. Speaking of, based on what I'm hearing, Arizona is underrated by this board, by media, by everyone. They beat a solid MSU squad, and start 4 5* players. 3 of their Freshman were ranked in the Top-20 this year. Their starting backcourt are both 6'5", plus two 7' guys, and a 6'9" & 6'11" elite athletes behind them. A versatile, senior guard, etc. When Trier returns, and PJC comes back, Zona is a Top-15 team rest of season.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

Problem is, Gonzaga doesn't play a string of cupcakes early on like most teams do. He will get his run.
    Just wait till WCC play.....

I also noticed that Dustin Triano played at least 10 minutes, good to see him get a decent run, he may not have the athleticism, but he always seemed to be in the right spot.

Those one-handed rebounds in traffic.. .

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

At whose expense though?

Also, probably won't be seeing much experimentation vs Zona. Speaking of, based on what I'm hearing, Arizona is underrated by this board, by media, by everyone. They beat a solid MSU squad, and start 4 5* players. 3 of their Freshman were ranked in the Top-20 this year. Their starting backcourt are both 6'5", plus two 7' guys, and a 6'9" & 6'11" elite athletes behind them. A versatile, senior guard, etc. When Trier returns, and PJC comes back, Zona is a Top-15 team rest of season.
    Our conference games are our "string of cupcakes". lol

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Rui should be good. A longterm player for Gu, he'll benefit from the system. Get an Elias feel. Maybe more explosive.
    I noticed he did miss some bunnies.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Not as many as JWIII does every game and Rui doesn't even know what he's doing yet

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    That's being too quick on some of those. But he has a smoothness and athleticism that's intriguing.

Rui did look good against a bunch of under-sized players in garbage time.

Hope he gets some run when it matters as the season progresses.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Rui did look good against a bunch of under-sized players in garbage time.

Hope he gets some run when it matters as the season progresses.
    This puts his performance & stat line in context, yet even if he made those moves with no one on the court, I'd be impressed.

The kid can play.

in my opinion he should be playing in front of a guard or two that get end of blowout game minutes... he is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post
    This puts his performance & stat line in context, yet even if he made those moves with no one on the court, I'd be impressed.

The kid can play.
    I agree. He's got tons of potential.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Freak should be updated to "Phenom" --- "a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer."

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I agree. He's got tons of potential.
    Yes, he does! Older posters like me might see an Elgin Baylor type player in Rui. Athletic, creative, big time scorer AND rebounder. Could even bring the ball up court on his own. And Rui is 3 inches taller than Baylor. He's got a ways to go but I see a lot of Elgin in this kid. Like you said, "tons of potential," and you've got to have a lot of it to be even mentioned in the same sentence with Baylor.

And as a special bonus for WCC teams, get blown out early and you get to see Rui highlights!
    Quit social media. You'll be better for it.

I especially loved when he blew by his defender from the top of the key, then switched from left to right hand to finish off the dunk! Very quick 1st step. This kid is silky smooth, can put the ball on the floor, nice vertical, and ...and...and. Whoa Nellie!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Freak should be updated to "Phenom" --- "a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer."
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    From a guy who is not at all politically correct, "phenom" just feels better, especially since he plays for us.
    SpyWhoZaggedMe is probably referencing Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Buck's star, nickname The Greek Freak.

Few finally gets a 6'9" wing. Holy schmokes that kid can ball.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

It was funny to hear the complement by the announcers start with something to the effect of, "Rui doesn't know what he's doing..."

It made perfect sense.

This kid appears to have a very high ceiling (Good thing, because he'd be prone to hitting his head). He is so much fun to watch.