Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whose been part of message board since it was on rivals.com or scout.com?

Default Whose been part of message board since it was on rivals.com or scout.com?

I was thinking tonight that it has been crazy how long I've been apart of this message board. I joined the message board during the Maui invitation during Blake stepp junior season I think it was. They played I believe Utah, kentucky and Indiana in that Maui tourney. We beat Utah with Rick majeras but lost to kentucky and Indiana, Kentucky was real good and I think made elite 8 that year. I stumbled upon the message board after the loss to Kentucky in that Maui tourney and joined the board. Even though we only went 1-2 in that tourney Blake Steppe was awesome and really looked great considering it was his first season as a point guard at GU. The message board at that time was actually on rivals.com I think it was. Who else has been around since that time or before.

There was also a time when the Board was hosted on yahoo.com groups .... and at the beginning ('99) it was just a handful of Zags (and Zag fans). I KNOW I'll miss some (sorry) but right now I recall the Pontiff, Renozag, 229sinto, birddog, bowser , Abe , outraged, myself, Russell ,Hondo, the late El Voce (who is still deeply missed) Zagman (a high school kid), LongIslandZagFan, calzag, and if I recall correctly The Man (i.e. BobZag) came along during the yahoo board time (i.e. Still in the first year).
    Last edited by GoZags; 11-29-2016 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Added a few names

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    There was also a time when the Board was hosted on yahoo.com groups .... and at the beginning ('99) it was just a handful of Zags (and Zag fans). I KNOW I'll miss some (sorry) but right now I recall the Pontiff, Renozag, 229sinto, birddog, bowser , Abe , outraged, myself, Russell ,Hondo, the late El Voce (who is still deeply missed) Zagman (a high school kid), LongIslandZagFan, calzag, and if I recall correctly The Man (i.e. BobZag) came along during the yahoo board time (i.e. Still in the first year).
    GoZags, that was back in the day when "also receiving votes" made for numerous clicks as did the occasional recipe. I think maybe Surfmonkey goes all the way back, but I believe Zagman (the HS kid from Everett) came a little bit later. Lets not forget "Mikeness", who educated us all and was the inspiration for the legendary "How to make a burrito" post.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Officially joined Spring, 2003. Began lurking in '02...

The forum before GUNation.

Drawing a blank...

THE same year as you,Demian. What was it called back then. Was it with SCOUT
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Honestly didn't know we had a message board until I looked for one in 2014. Been around as a die hard since beginning of 2006
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Interesting thread. I was wondering about this myself the other day since the earliest "join date" on the new boards is Feb 2007 when the migration occurred. I started watching zags hoops when i arrived at GU in fall of 98. I think I joined the boards in 2003 when one of my students directed me to ya'll, but it might have been earlier. Darn, now i'm feeling old.

Not sure. But soon after my 1999 epiphany I joined something and began to harangue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    THE same year as you,Demian. What was it called back then. Was it with SCOUT
    it was with Scout.com

GUNation. Not the best name -- "GUN" "nation" -- but it was fun board, close knit, and fond memories.

I registered the forum prior to Scout, and can't recall what the name was...but the format was...interesting.

Its been nearly 15 yrs ago...

Can't remember exactly but it was a long time ago. There was some dude named Rodman's Rage who got banned. That's all I got on Tuesday morning. Peace
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

I was on Scout.com and moved to this board when it started.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

I think I joined in '01, not sure though. I think I've been through four versions of the board or maybe it's three.

I joined with the forum prior to Scout. Some jerk named Jim Allen ran the site and would go to opponent's boards and post negative crap. I was so happy when he was no longer "representing" Gonzaga. Been following the Zags since my freshman year in 77. The Arizona game will make it 29 straight years I have watched a game in person.

I miss some of the old names that were common on the board back in the day. I think I must have joined Scout in 2005 or so. The move to this board was a blessing in more ways than one.

I thought of this same question when Woohoo was looking for a sweatshirt for his 8 year-old son. I remembered that he had posted years ago of his son being born, and found the post. It took me a step back and put into context how long with the GU board I had been. I've enjoyed nearly every minute of it!

Thanks too all those who make this a special place.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

I remember moving to this board from the Scout board so I must have joined that in about 2005?? I don't really remember, but it's been a (mostly) fun ride with everyone!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I joined the Scout board in '05 or so.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Was also on scout board...

Go!! Zags!!!

Cool

The scout.com board then here, for sure. Not sure about rivals. Just remember Bobzag used to post a lot more than now, a ton more. B'Zer always had news nuggets that would set the board afire. Usually recruiting news. Seems this board started when Scout wanted to charge a yearly membership fee, and B'Zer said "ain't gonna happen." (Our hero.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not sure. But soon after my 1999 epiphany I joined something and began to harangue.
    And we're all better for it, jazz. You're the designated curmudgeon.

I hopped on the Scout ( GUNation ) board on March 2, 2006. The Bandwidth Wasteland was that edition's version of The Foo.

This community has been a fun and remarkable adventure. Have met a number of posters in person over the last ten years. Have found this a great neighborhood and hope to enjoy it for many years to come.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-30-2016 at 08:56 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

The Scout site is still functioning. Abe appears to be the sole contributor of late. You can log on there and find your original sign up date. Mine was 2-4-05.

Like everyone else - memory is dim. Definitely Scout and I think 2005?? Miss some of the old names (but maybe not all!)

I was on the Scout board.

I have evolved much as a poster. I was a bit of a moron those first couple years. Pretty sure I received a short ban/timeout at one point. haha
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Yup

I believe I joined scout.com around 2002. Yours truly (and a few others) used to write articles and game previews on the old site when such things were demanded of us to keep the site going.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there ever was a Gonzaga site at Rivals.com. If there was one, it didn't last long.

Have been largely lurking since 2001 or 2002-- saw a flier in the old Kennel for zagshoops.com and have followed since then.

Amazing to think how long it has been.... I was a soph at GU then and that seems like a million years ago