Thread: 3 point shooting

Default 3 point shooting

After yesterday's hot start, the team is now at 39% for the season. But that includes Hachimura and Alberts' combined 0/10, so the rotation guys are a combined 48/113, 42.5 %.

The starting guards are all 43% or better, combining for 34/75 or 45.3%. And Williams is 3/4 and Tillie 6/11.

Gonna make for some headaches for opposing coaches if they want to double the post or go zone.

Maynard, thanks for the info. I knew we were shooting good, but not that good. Also when you put in that two of those teams are super defensive teams.

Nigel Williams-Goss 6 33.0 12.8 5.8 4.8 1.7 0.0 2.3 .424 .947 ._-------450 YUUGE!
    Josh Perkins 5 31.2 12.2 2.0 3.0 1.4 0.0 2.8 .500 .818 -----------------.480 YUUGER!
    Mathews---------------------------------------------------------------------.431 Decently YUGE!
    Melson-----------------------------------------------------------------------.211 Needs to be Yuger!

Someone falters and someone else picks it up. Silas needs to focus. Seriously focus. He can do better. Josh has been the most pleasant surprise in his 5 games. He may yet be the star we hoped for. Best thing is that we have 3 of those 4 guards back next year.

Obviously the kids are playing hard. We salute them.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Nigel Williams-Goss 6 33.0 12.8 5.8 4.8 1.7 0.0 2.3 .424 .947 ._-------450 YUUGE!
    Josh Perkins 5 31.2 12.2 2.0 3.0 1.4 0.0 2.8 .500 .818 -----------------.480 YUUGER!
    Mathews---------------------------------------------------------------------.431 Decently YUGE!
    Melson-----------------------------------------------------------------------.211 Needs to be Yuger!

Someone falters and someone else picks it up. Silas needs to focus. Seriously focus. He can do better. Josh has been the most pleasant surprise in his 5 games. He may yet be the star we hoped for. Best thing is that we have 3 of those 4 guards back next year.

Obviously the kids are playing hard. We salute them.
    Got to admit that it was YUUGE fun during can't miss time in first half of ISU game. Boys were on fire!

When GU is on fire from 3 they are going to be super hard to beat. Just throw the ball down into Shem, and let the best low post passer in college basketball find the sharpshooters. It's pretty easy when he gets triple teamed to locate someone who is open.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    When GU is on fire from 3 they are going to be super hard to beat. Just throw the ball down into Shem, and let the best low post passer in college basketball find the sharpshooters. It's pretty easy when he gets triple teamed to locate someone who is open.
    Yes, that's what we quit doing in that second half. Why did we quit doing what was working?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I also think that ball movement will be the key. We have 7 players that can shoot the 3 when left wide open. That means as we get going and get open spaces then it is like shooting 3s at practice. Get the ball to Shem or drive and kick I think we will be deadly to defend

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    I also think that ball movement will be the key. We have 7 players that can shoot the 3 when left wide open. That means as we get going and get open spaces then it is like shooting 3s at practice. Get the ball to Shem or drive and kick I think we will be deadly to defend

And bodies moving.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    After yesterday's hot start, the team is now at 39% for the season. But that includes Hachimura and Alberts' combined 0/10, so the rotation guys are a combined 48/113, 42.5 %.

The starting guards are all 43% or better, combining for 34/75 or 45.3%. And Williams is 3/4 and Tillie 6/11.

Gonna make for some headaches for opposing coaches if they want to double the post or go zone.
    Cool idea taking the outliers out of there. Thanks for the stats. Dangerous team...

Collins stated in an ISU post-game interview that he plans to look for his 3pt shot more. Interesting.

J3 is an intriguing shooter.

He was a 36% 3pt shooter at Mizzou, over 70+ attempts. He is 3-4 3pt as a Zag.

I'd like to see Williams III give the pick-and-perimeter pop a chance. Maybe we see these guys extend the defense as the season progresses.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwinzag View Post
    Collins stated in an ISU post-game interview that he plans to look for his 3pt shot more. Interesting.

J3 is an intriguing shooter.

He was a 36% 3pt shooter at Mizzou, over 70+ attempts. He is 3-4 3pt as a Zag.

I'd like to see Williams III give the pick-and-perimeter pop a chance. Maybe we see these guys extend the defense as the season progresses.
    Seems to me that Williams 111 shoots them when left unguarded at the top of the key on a kickout and will only take those, and make the occasional one at a good percentage much like JP Batista did. Both Collins and Tillie, I think, would be more dangerous shooting them off the pick and pop.