Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else notice Few went with Zach and Kill instead of Shem and JWIII at the end?

Default Anyone else notice Few went with Zach and Kill instead of Shem and JWIII at the end?

He chose the true frosh over the vets to close out the game; shows how much confidence he has in them.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    He chose the true frosh over the vets to close out the game; shows how much confidence he has in them.
    Also showed that he understood that if they go to the line, they are more likely to hit them than Williams or Shem.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Default Zone. Why the sudden change of players?

Ok, this needs to be discussed...

We ONLY zoned with Karno & JW3 the last 2 games.

Not nearly as effective as the zone we used the first 4 games with Tillie & Collins.

Did our Coaches forget which lineup zoned the best or most effective or are we protecting Karno's conditioning?

We experimented with both 'sets' of bigs in Spokane and clearly worked better without Karno.

I just can't figure it out...seeking explanation.

One works great, the other works meh, yet we ONLY chose the ineffective lineup?

Isnt Karno better at M2M anyway?! Guys bounce off him or cant shoot over him.

I was stressed out in our games vs Florida & Iowa St trying to determine this inexplicable change???

The zone is always a change of pace, which is great, but to continually default to the less successful one is senseless.

The Killian Collins zone can be special and we didn't see it once today or Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Also showed that he understood that if they go to the line, they are more likely to hit them than Williams or Shem.
    Yup, that too.

the Burton matchup too maybe had something to do with it. man he got it going

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    the Burton matchup too maybe had something to do with it. man he got it going
    I kept waiting for Burton to wake up. Didn't happen. Kudos to him.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Or Williams shows Elias Harris like tendencies on defense and those two are confidingly long and had fouls to give.

Loved him in Roots. But he can play. Collins and Tillie are better than Karno and JW, that simple. Not a knock they just are.

Pure matchup with designed end of game plan aligned for tille and collins
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

For whatever reason,

The JW3/Karno combo is purely zone.

Tillie/Collins combo is purely M2M.

It was the exact opposite in Spokane.

Also, we mixed and matched more. The Collins/Tillie zone was way more effective, and not sure anyone would disagree, save Coach Few.

The Karno/JW3 gives up most open looks as Karno has trouble covering the mid range shooter or corner 3 rotation.

Also, Collins & JW3 was a solis combo but we no longer see that...

We will continue to experiment and the lineups are working decently well, but completely disagree with the choice of zone lineup.

Collins and Tillie are shot blockers too, which is helpful in zone when opponent penetrates to the hoop.

Collins M2M isnt the best away from hoop either.

Default Game over

actually I think Few went zone with Karno because he could not matchup with his man on the perimeter because they played M2M with Karno out there; when ISU adjusted and went 5 out on O, Karno got exposed, Burton got loose too, and Few had to adjust. Had to hide Karno in the zone today because of matchups, I'm pretty sure that's why. maybe Few will discuss it

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Looks contested as well
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default end of game

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    best thing Few did was get the kids in there for the last,and Shem out of there.He has a chance this year.

as LongIsland pointed out, those guys can hit free throws which is important in close end games (even though Collins missed his last FT attempt). Collins is a vastly better player than Shem in all aspects and should be starting. i don't know if Shem is still having back problems but he is a teddy bear around the rim going for baby hooks instead of being aggressive. The florida game really showed off his weaknesses on the defensive end as well by being slow footed against athletic players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Never would have counted...the ball was still in his hands when the end of game horn sounded as well as the clock went to zero...

Quote Originally Posted by jagwalkley View Post
    best thing Few did was get the kids in there for the last,and Shem out of there.He has a chance this year.
    Chance for what? To start the best 5?

Good catch, Bogo!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Loved him in Roots. But he can play. Collins and Tillie are better than Karno and JW, that simple. Not a knock they just are.
    They are better in certain areas, but not in others. At this point I don't think you can say that Collins is flat out better than Karno, but I was shocked when Few took him out near the end of the game after he made the three ball and the free throws. I would think as Collins gets more expirience, he will close out most of these games on the court.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Never would have counted...the ball was still in his hands when the end of game horn sounded as well as the clock went to zero...
    Kinda the point of the photo.....)

1 ref was waving off the shot also

I also heard a ref whistle before the 3 pointer went off.

Killie and Collins were clearly in at the end for free throw purposes. I was concerned that one of them might foul the 3 point shooter, but it was defended well.

Iowa State should've drive the ball instead shooting that 3, and I think they would have if they had timeouts at their disposal to set up a play.

In most games, I do not think Collins will be in to finish. That is because Shem and him will be resting together on the bench. I think this team has a killer instinct that will allow many games to get to over a 20 point lead with less than 5 minutes.

Collins is our best big.

I feel Collins & Tillie went in for FTs, shot blocking/length and they looked fresh compared to others.

Couple of things. When ISU was on their run, I was waiting for Shem to put the team on his back and demand the ball down low. The touches he got did not look good. Got rejected by the backboard? Not sure if he was totally gassed by the tournament or what, but he did not look like himself in the second half.

The very fact that Collins was in instead of Shem speaks volumes. I thought this was his team. It may be, but I'm not sure anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk