Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Iowa State - Predictions/What you hope to see

Zags 82-75.

From the Iowa St board, same ol' "high" major rhetoric:

While they have a nice little program, they are still just a low major. Every conference game is more important than this one, every conference tournament game is more important than this, hell, you could argue Cincinnati and - for sanity's sake - Iowa are far more important than this.

Gonzaga is a program you hear about in November and December and then they retreat to high school level gyms for the next few months while actual programs get after it multiple times a week against real competition. It's really difficult to respect that.
    Sure they win their conference every year but the gap is shrinking. And honestly gonzaga has way under performed their perceived national strength. The fan base keeps reliving their Cinderella season from many years ago.
    I agree they are a media darling that usually disappoints

Cyclones Forum

I wonder if Power-5 teams will ever change their tune?

7 consecutive seasons of at least 1 win in NCAA Tournament, 17 straight appearances, 7 Sweet 16's, 2 Elite 8's, only under-performing seed line 4 times in 17 years, lost to eventual Nat'l Champion on 3 occasions, etc etc

FWIW, Iowa St made (3) Sweet 16's in the same time Gonzaga made (7).

Go Figure.

They have no idea...just as Florida thought we were a bunch of, I quote, "shaggy haired white boys with slow big men..." before we stepped on the court.

Gonzaga - 84
    Iowa st - 73

Quote Originally Posted by Goshzagit View Post

Cyclones Forum

7 consecutive seasons of at least 1 win in NCAA Tournament, 17 straight appearances, 7 Sweet 16's, 2 Elite 8's, only under-performing seed line 4 times in 17 years, lost to eventual Nat'l Champion on 3 occasions, etc etc

Go Figure.

They have no idea...just as Florida thought we were a bunch of, I quote, "shaggy haired white boys with slow big men..." before we stepped on the court.
    Thanks for the link, but there were also many complimentary/respectful comments in the thread on their board. In fact, those seemed to outnumber your quotes by 2 to 1.

zags 91,
    cyclones 80

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    Aside from a win what I hope for the most is no Dickie V!
    Couldnt agree more, makes me miss the three headed monster

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Thanks for the link, but there were also many complimentary/respectful comments in the thread on their board. In fact, those seemed to outnumber your quotes by 2 to 1.
    agreed, more "but" sandwiches, complimentary nonetheless. also, quoted multiple threads.

just pointing out a consistent theme around college hoops vs Power 5 teams. Read Florida comments before our game, then after. Same when we played West Virginia, Seton Hall, Iowa, list goes on...

We always fight that perception. Wasn't my intent to pull out the torches and pitch forks, just thought to share some commentary re: Gonzaga's "mid major" status before these type of games.

Some have no idea...

agreed, more "but" sandwiches, complimentary nonetheless. also, quoted multiple threads.

just pointing out a consistent theme around college hoops vs Power 5 teams. Read Florida comments before our game, then after. Same when we played West Virginia, Seton Hall, Iowa, list goes on...

We always fight that perception. Wasn't my intent to pull out the torches and pitch forks, just thought to share some commentary re: Gonzaga's "mid major" status before these type of games.

Some have no idea...
    Fair points. Get where you're coming from.

It is frustrating to hear those voices, still. OTOH, there were some people on the board talking about it being their second best opportunity for a "big win" - second to Kansas 2x. They play in the big 12 and think that we're one of the best games they'll get all year. So, there are extremes in views.

Like others, I want to see crisper play w/o the turnovers, go shot for shot, we win. If not, long game. I want to see Collins and Tillie step up and play at the Karno/Williams level.

Zags 86
    ISU: 79
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Low Major Program 93
    Ivory Towers 74

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa St coaches know how good GU is. The Cyclones will not be over confident. They are a classy program, and one of my favorites. Gonzaga's depth and strength in the posts will be too much for them

Zags 83
    Cyclones 71

i would like to see PK and COLLINS play better. Hoping Zags can make at least 8 threes.
    12 OR LESS turnovers, and most important, beautiful passing, and always attacking.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The Cyclones will head back to Ames with an L, while the Bulldogs bring home another trophy.

Zags. 86
    Clones. 74
    "If you smell something, say something." Jon Stewart

Cyclones Forum

Go Figure.

Ahem .... that would be "8" consecutive years of at least one win in the dance ...

The opposing media's scouting report on this matchup.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/11/wi...te-vs-gonzaga/

The first game that I watched in Florida was Indiana State vs. Iowa State. Indiana State, with amazing guard play by a So. Texan named Page, went right up against Iowa State.
    In the second half Iowa State came back. Unfortunately for them and all of the crowd, the officiating was some of the worst I have ever witnessed and the stripes put Iowa State repeatedly on the line until first they caught up and then until time expired. We will never know for sure who would have won a properly called game, but it clearly appeared that Iowa State most likely would have been upset. What that does to a team psych is interesting--they know that they did not "win" that opener.
    The Gators were a very tough matchup as this Board has noted and as the play demonstrated. The Zags learned that they had to run picks and plays. Coach Few did one of his most masterful coaching jobs to keep calm and call out plays and keep his now super focused Zags on track. The concentration of the Zag players was in a whole new "zone." (Same reffing team by the way as that first game described above)
    Iowa state does not match up well. The Zags better appreciate the talent they are against. Zags by 15 as they continue to grow the early season.

Hoping for a more evenly officiated game. Either way,
    Zags - 81
    Cyclones - 74

I sense that the Zags are about to put together their best 40-minute defensive effort of the season. The Iowa St. guards are the best our kids have faced so far, but our guards are good enough to fight that matchup to a draw or near draw. Our kids will need to take better care of the ball than they did in the first half against Florida. I think they will. Our bigger front court will grind them down. We'll win the rebounding battle and outscore them by ten in the paint. It will be enough to claim another trophy in Orlando.

Zags 78
    Cyclones 70

79-67. Zags love Orlando.

Zags 81
    Cyclones 72

12 turnovers
    Control board

3 point shooting be key as they double down on our bigs
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Zags by 10 pts and no leggings. Are compression leggings suppose to make you faster and jump higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Low Major Program 93
    Ivory Towers 74

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sounds about right. Fwiw here's how GU has fared vs the "Big Boys" in Orlando .... beat Oklahoma State by 12; beat Maryland by 22; beat Tennessee by 9; beat Clemson by 8; beat Oklahoma by 25 and beat Florida by 5. Add the wins over the Pollsters and Davidson and that's 8-0 in that floor.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Sounds about right. Fwiw here's how GU has fared vs the "Big Boys" in Orlando .... beat Oklahoma State by 12; beat Maryland by 22; beat Tennessee by 9; beat Clemson by 8; beat Oklahoma by 25 and beat Florida by 5. Add the wins over the Pollsters and Davidson and that's 8-0 in that floor.
    Pretty good for a low major.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Pretty good for a low major.
    We should just be grateful that they'll deign to share the floor with us for 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by freethrow View Post
    The first game that I watched in Florida was Indiana State vs. Iowa State. Indiana State, with amazing guard play by a So. Texan named Page, went right up against Iowa State.
    In the second half Iowa State came back. Unfortunately for them and all of the crowd, the officiating was some of the worst I have ever witnessed and the stripes put Iowa State repeatedly on the line until first they caught up and then until time expired. We will never know for sure who would have won a properly called game, but it clearly appeared that Iowa State most likely would have been upset. What that does to a team psych is interesting--they know that they did not "win" that opener.
    The Gators were a very tough matchup as this Board has noted and as the play demonstrated. The Zags learned that they had to run picks and plays. Coach Few did one of his most masterful coaching jobs to keep calm and call out plays and keep his now super focused Zags on track. The concentration of the Zag players was in a whole new "zone." (Same reffing team by the way as that first game described above)
    Iowa state does not match up well. The Zags better appreciate the talent they are against. Zags by 15 as they continue to grow the early season.
    Great first post, welcome to the board.

Good point about the Indiana State versus Iowa State and being the same reffing team b/c I - along with several others here - noted just how hard they officiated against Indiana State. Not to be too cynical but, never mind.

Keep posting from Orlando and more.
    Mark Twain.

Cyclones have very good guards; so do the Zags.

I believe that they will get beasted down low.
    But we don't play nobody.