Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU vs Iowa State - Predictions/What you hope to see

Default GU vs Iowa State - Predictions/What you hope to see

Matchup is set... have at it boys and girls!
    Last edited by LongIslandZagFan; 11-25-2016 at 09:31 PM.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Bumpity bump
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

fair and balanced officiating

A win, don't care how we get it or by how much!

My prediction.....we blow them out by 10+.

Gonzaga 88
    Iowa State 72
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Iowa St getting an extra 12 hrs rest, and film study, scouting, practice, and game planning.

They will need it!

Really need to hone in on identity. Are we a weave it and find the iso big as in last 2 yrs, or we more versatile? Allowing our guards to dictate the game again? Finding cutting bigs such as JW3 and Tillie, or kicking it out with Collins and Karnowski, or allowing them to go to work when mis-matches present? Transition, driving in the lane, making shots happen, not necessarily waiting for them to happen.

We are finding our way. Perkins in half court sets works out better. NWG vs pressure defense. Silas off the bounce and opening up transition. Mathews needs a heat check, but lacks when and where to drive it. Solid defender and shooter though. (still makes me wonder about 6'5" Norvell at wing who can stroke it).

Iowa St has a 26 yr old guard who is like a more athletic Matt Bouldin. He's probably their best post player and point guard in one. They have size and they play FAST. Not nearly as long, rangy, strong as Florida, but they have athletes.

They are ranked #20 because they can shoot at a high level and their 4 guard lineup is electric. They zip the ball, find the shooter, knock it down.

Florida was more imposing in front court with long, athletic wings and bigs. Iowa St has much deeper, better guards, whom are 10X's the shooters.

Our guards wore down Florida's guards, won't happen vs ISU. They go 6 deep as well in backcourt.

We have a pretty considerable advantage up front. Depth too. Collins showed off his versatility vs Florida, but needs to become way more aggressive on offense vs players his size. He will. No doubt.

Iowa St has some JW3 types, but I realize Johnathon is stronger than he looks. Been clear to me with his ability to seal and box out.

Karnowski is getting tired, heck, felt tired just watching him try his hardest to hustle/jump/even shoot at the end vs Florida. Running on fumes, but our biggest mis-match vs Cyclones.

The extra "day" of rest for ISU concerns me, but thankfully we are pretty deep.

I like Gonzaga to pull away late. A different type of game than vs Gators. Less mid-range jumpers, offensive put backs, dunks as Florida did, more penetration and good shooting by ISU keeps them close.

Zags - 77
    Cyclones - 71

A strong "we came to play" 1st half and a 10 point win.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/foru...-basketball.8/

I found a link to one of their boards.

Gonzaga 83
    Cyclones 74
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

They only played 2 6'8" bigs last 2 games and 6 guards.

One of their bigs broke his hand 2 games ago and has been out.
    "Cyclones have limitations without Solomon Young (broken bone in his hand, but ISU doesn't want to do surgery and his hoping rest will heal it in the next few weeks, according to Steve Prohm). Once Young is back, then Prohm said the Cyclones can get back to more balance. Right now, leaning on guards and that was just fine today."

after 5 games I'd like to see some of the rust worn off, and the team play well for 35 plus minutes, if they do so I believe they will 3 peat in Orlando.

Zags need to stop being so careless with the basketball. GU will have a huge advantage inside. Hopefully the bigs won't collect cheap fouls. If the Zags can play with toughness and poise from beginning to end, they should walk away with another Orlando championship.

Put simply, I want to see better passing and officiating that doesn't CLEARLY favor either team

GU 85
    ISU 80

Keep it rollin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zags 82
    Iowa 71

Goss 14

Zags 90
    Iowa Guys 70

That's if the Zags can hold onto the ball. My high Zags score and 20 pt spread is based upon a 'pep' talk I expect the Zags to get via Few + the team should now be familiar enough with the court/climate/time change.

Hoping to see Williams with his motor reved up again. Since the Zags have a size advantage I think we may see less points by Perkins/Melson and high scores by Shem/ZachC/Williams. 6 Zags in double figures.

Should be an easier game. On paper. Like to see crisper play. Of course many fewer TOs and for Mathews to knock down 5-8 something like that. Collins had rough outing save for game winning put back. Like to see him w double double. And for Karno to get more rest. Down the road, maybe Karno comes off the bench to better manage his minutes. He has played valiantly but still not 100%.

81-72 Zags
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

Zags 80
    Cyclones 70

I work with a Cyclone grad. This one's for all the marbles for me. Bragging rights for eternity...Come on Zags!!!

Zags clean up their act in first half.

zags 85
    Cyclones 71

Gonzaga 81-76
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-26-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Deonte Burton pretty much had his way with the Hurricanes ( Boxscore: http://www.cyclones.com/boxscore.aspx?id=12228); would like to see Zags play tough D on him.

Fewer turnovers is probably at the top of everyone's list.

Zags: 82
    Cyclones: 78
    Last edited by RenoZag; 11-26-2016 at 02:40 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Aside from a win what I hope for the most is no Dickie V!

Zags take it 93-85

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Fewer turnovers is probably at the top of everyone's list.
    This...............+ infinity

MUST take better care of the ball, and all the team strengths are magnified.

ZAGS by 10+

Go ZAGS