Thread: Klinsmann gone

Default Klinsmann gone

http://americansoccernow.com/article...nal-team-coach

I for one appreciated the style of soccer he introduced and the system needed to play it. I think he overall improved the talent on the USMNT. I did find some of his player decisions and in game tactical decisions to be perplexing.

Not sure what I think about Bruce Areana coming back. A very safe pick. I am interested to see what he does.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I like that he said he was working on improving things like pace and technique. However, his implementation of these things seemed to be all over the place, and he chose some awfully random formations at times (why would you play a 3-4-3 for the first time in ages?). I agree that Arena seems like an awfully "safe" pick. Maybe he gets them through 2018 and they can look for a new plan going forward?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I think he was great for development, but things like leaving Donovan off the team along with a few other personnel decisions left me scratching my head. I think he was on shaky ground before going into Mexico/Costa Rica debacle... getting schlacked by Costa Rica was just the exclamation point. I agree that one game isn't the be all end all... but that was a horrible showing.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The USMNT regressed under Klinsman.

He didn't advance anything.

There were very clear warning signs before US Soccer ever hired him.

Read what Phillip Lahm has to say about Klinsmann.
    http://www.dw.com/en/lahms-outspoken...any/a-15343091
    "We practically only practiced fitness under Klinsmann, there was very little technical instruction and the players themselves discussed the way they would play a game before the match," Lahm writes. He re-uses an anecdote from former Bayern defender Zé Roberto to emphasis Klinsmann's tactical naivety. The Brazilian reveals that a half-time talk by Klinsmann toward the end of his reign consisted of only: "You have to score a goal."
    Klinsman doesn't know tactics.

Toronto FC hired him as a consultant to help them structure their club from top to bottom etc. He failed there as well.

He is a snake oil salesman.

As head coach of the US he repeatedly tinkered. He routinely placed players in positions they rarely if ever played and then would throw them under the bus in the post game press conference. He always had an excuse and it was never himself.

The team he picked for the World Cup had big holes and some questionable decisions. Landon Donovan missing? Even if you used him off the bench you do not leave someone like him off the roster. No backup for Altidore? As soon as Altiodre got injured Klinsmann's whole plan was shot because he had no one to replace Altidore.

Speaking of injuries... There has been lots of talk about Klinsmann's obsession with fitness. He actually talked crap about his players fitness levels. Let me ask you a question, the USMNT has been known to be one of the fittest National Teams and hardest working National Teams... until Klinsmann. Something is not like the other.

Statistically, the USMNT has regressed under Klinsmann.

We played our most regressive style of Soccer in the modern era under Klinsmann.

Seriously, look at those stats from the world cup.
    Lowest possession percentage and fewest shots per game in the modern era.

And look at that list of firsts under Klinsmann, and not the good kind of firsts.

And look at this.

I am basically ripping off Matt Doyle...
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...ra-comes-close

Donovan, in his final 11 national team starts, registered eight goals and eight assists. That includes a spin as the Golden Ball winner at the 2013 Gold Cup -- to date Klinsmann's only trophy as a manager -- and a 1 goal/1 assist effort in a 2-0 World Cup qualifying win over Mexico to clinch a spot in Brazil. That game turned out to be the final Dos a Cero.

Donovan's exclusion was not justified, but it could have been mitigated by the inclusion of other attacking players like Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljestan or Lee Nguyen, or at least a willingness to move Johnson up into midfield as a way of generating more offense. Instead Klinsmann played Bradley, a natural d-mid or box-to-box midfielder, as a pseudo trequartista; he played Clint Dempsey, a natural second forward or inverted winger, as a lone No. 9; he slotted dogged yet unspectacular two-way players like Graham Zusi and Alejandro Bedoya on the wings, and thus the US generated little possession and even less open play danger.

He set up the team like minnows, and then coached them to be minnows.
    And what is sad about Klinsmann, he constantly talked down to the US Soccer fan base acting like we knew nothing about the game.

How quickly we forget this article that showed exactly what Klinsmann was and how in trouble the team was behind the scenes.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer-n...world-cup-2013
    “Have you read Philipp Lahm’s book?”

That was the response from a U.S. national team player when asked about the tactical issues the U.S. is experiencing under Klinsmann and Vasquez.

I don't understand how anyone can think Klinsmann progressed US Soccer.

So is the US lacking leadership, talent, coaching, or what ?

They aren't in the 2018 World Cup after losing to a nation whose name sounds like a cigar company, 2 - 1.

They're lacking vision and leadership certainly. The talent is good but not great. This was utterly embarrassing.

1. Losing to T&T is unforgivable. Regardless of how talented we think this team is, T&T was at the bottom of a bad confederation. How did we give up two goals?

2. US Soccer Federation and MLS are not making the players needed for sustained success. The whole system needs to change. Klinsmann was right in recognizing that US based players don't get the training, development or experience needed for sustained excellence. US soccer development is following the AAU basketball model. That can't be right.

3. I don't buy the argument that the US just can't get its best athletes to commit to soccer. Iceland manages to qualify out of Europe, Iceland with the population of Wichita! I am pretty sure that we can dig up 23 kids out of those who do play in this country that could be developed into better than average players.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I think one of the major problems is that soccer is essentially pay-to-play at the lower levels. If you really want to develop successful soccer, you need to have USA soccer and the MLS funding things all the way down as far as competitive soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    1. Losing to T&T is unforgivable. Regardless of how talented we think this team is, T&T was at the bottom of a bad confederation. How did we give up two goals?

2. US Soccer Federation and MLS are not making the players needed for sustained success. The whole system needs to change. Klinsmann was right in recognizing that US based players don't get the training, development or experience needed for sustained excellence. US soccer development is following the AAU basketball model. That can't be right.

3. I don't buy the argument that the US just can't get its best athletes to commit to soccer. Iceland manages to qualify out of Europe, Iceland with the population of Wichita! I am pretty sure that we can dig up 23 kids out of those who do play in this country that could be developed into better than average players.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    The development system looks to be changing, The Ringer has some recent articles about it:
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9...er-development

https://www.theringer.com/2017/10/5/...ndrew-carleton