X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

Klinsmann gone

A disastrous start to the Hexagonal round of World Cup qualifying proved to be Jurgen Klinsmann's undoing. U.S. Soccer's Sunil Gulati today announced that the federation parted ways with the German.

I for one appreciated the style of soccer he introduced and the system needed to play it. I think he overall improved the talent on the USMNT. I did find some of his player decisions and in game tactical decisions to be perplexing.

Not sure what I think about Bruce Areana coming back. A very safe pick. I am interested to see what he does.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time
  • webspinnre
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I like that he said he was working on improving things like pace and technique. However, his implementation of these things seemed to be all over the place, and he chose some awfully random formations at times (why would you play a 3-4-3 for the first time in ages?). I agree that Arena seems like an awfully "safe" pick. Maybe he gets them through 2018 and they can look for a new plan going forward?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
      • Feb 2007

I think he was great for development, but things like leaving Donovan off the team along with a few other personnel decisions left me scratching my head. I think he was on shaky ground before going into Mexico/Costa Rica debacle... getting schlacked by Costa Rica was just the exclamation point. I agree that one game isn't the be all end all... but that was a horrible showing.
      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• asoc
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Jul 2007

The USMNT regressed under Klinsman.

He didn't advance anything.

There were very clear warning signs before US Soccer ever hired him.

Read what Phillip Lahm has to say about Klinsmann.
        With its criticism of past coaches and their methods, the autobiography of Philipp Lahm, captain of Bayern Munich and Germany's national team, is rubbing a lot of people the wrong way .

"We practically only practiced fitness under Klinsmann, there was very little technical instruction and the players themselves discussed the way they would play a game before the match," Lahm writes. He re-uses an anecdote from former Bayern defender Zé Roberto to emphasis Klinsmann's tactical naivety. The Brazilian reveals that a half-time talk by Klinsmann toward the end of his reign consisted of only: "You have to score a goal."
        Klinsman doesn't know tactics.

Toronto FC hired him as a consultant to help them structure their club from top to bottom etc. He failed there as well.

He is a snake oil salesman.

As head coach of the US he repeatedly tinkered. He routinely placed players in positions they rarely if ever played and then would throw them under the bus in the post game press conference. He always had an excuse and it was never himself.

The team he picked for the World Cup had big holes and some questionable decisions. Landon Donovan missing? Even if you used him off the bench you do not leave someone like him off the roster. No backup for Altidore? As soon as Altiodre got injured Klinsmann's whole plan was shot because he had no one to replace Altidore.

Speaking of injuries... There has been lots of talk about Klinsmann's obsession with fitness. He actually talked crap about his players fitness levels. Let me ask you a question, the USMNT has been known to be one of the fittest National Teams and hardest working National Teams... until Klinsmann. Something is not like the other.

Statistically, the USMNT has regressed under Klinsmann.

We played our most regressive style of Soccer in the modern era under Klinsmann.

Seriously, look at those stats from the world cup.
        Lowest possession percentage and fewest shots per game in the modern era.

And look at that list of firsts under Klinsmann, and not the good kind of firsts.

And look at this.

I am basically ripping off Matt Doyle...

Donovan, in his final 11 national team starts, registered eight goals and eight assists. That includes a spin as the Golden Ball winner at the 2013 Gold Cup -- to date Klinsmann's only trophy as a manager -- and a 1 goal/1 assist effort in a 2-0 World Cup qualifying win over Mexico to clinch a spot in Brazil. That game turned out to be the final Dos a Cero.

Donovan's exclusion was not justified, but it could have been mitigated by the inclusion of other attacking players like Benny Feilhaber, Sacha Kljestan or Lee Nguyen, or at least a willingness to move Johnson up into midfield as a way of generating more offense. Instead Klinsmann played Bradley, a natural d-mid or box-to-box midfielder, as a pseudo trequartista; he played Clint Dempsey, a natural second forward or inverted winger, as a lone No. 9; he slotted dogged yet unspectacular two-way players like Graham Zusi and Alejandro Bedoya on the wings, and thus the US generated little possession and even less open play danger.

He set up the team like minnows, and then coached them to be minnows.
        And what is sad about Klinsmann, he constantly talked down to the US Soccer fan base acting like we knew nothing about the game.

How quickly we forget this article that showed exactly what Klinsmann was and how in trouble the team was behind the scenes.

“Have you read Philipp Lahm’s book?”

That was the response from a U.S. national team player when asked about the tactical issues the U.S. is experiencing under Klinsmann and Vasquez.

I don't understand how anyone can think Klinsmann progressed US Soccer.

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

So is the US lacking leadership, talent, coaching, or what ?

They aren't in the 2018 World Cup after losing to a nation whose name sounds like a cigar company, 2 - 1.
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• webspinnre
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

They're lacking vision and leadership certainly. The talent is good but not great. This was utterly embarrassing.

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

1. Losing to T&T is unforgivable. Regardless of how talented we think this team is, T&T was at the bottom of a bad confederation. How did we give up two goals?

2. US Soccer Federation and MLS are not making the players needed for sustained success. The whole system needs to change. Klinsmann was right in recognizing that US based players don't get the training, development or experience needed for sustained excellence. US soccer development is following the AAU basketball model. That can't be right.

3. I don't buy the argument that the US just can't get its best athletes to commit to soccer. Iceland manages to qualify out of Europe, Iceland with the population of Wichita! I am pretty sure that we can dig up 23 kids out of those who do play in this country that could be developed into better than average players.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• webspinnre
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I think one of the major problems is that soccer is essentially pay-to-play at the lower levels. If you really want to develop successful soccer, you need to have USA soccer and the MLS funding things all the way down as far as competitive soccer.

Comment

• Pallet
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                  1. Losing to T&T is unforgivable. Regardless of how talented we think this team is, T&T was at the bottom of a bad confederation. How did we give up two goals?

2. US Soccer Federation and MLS are not making the players needed for sustained success. The whole system needs to change. Klinsmann was right in recognizing that US based players don't get the training, development or experience needed for sustained excellence. US soccer development is following the AAU basketball model. That can't be right.

3. I don't buy the argument that the US just can't get its best athletes to commit to soccer. Iceland manages to qualify out of Europe, Iceland with the population of Wichita! I am pretty sure that we can dig up 23 kids out of those who do play in this country that could be developed into better than average players.

The development system looks to be changing, The Ringer has some recent articles about it:
                  Mark Cuban certainly thinks so, and he’s looking to follow the lead of FC Dallas, which boasts the most comprehensive youth development program in America

With the Under-17 World Cup set to kick off in India, Andrew Carleton, Josh Sargent, and Tim Weah provide a bright future for the U.S.

Comment

• a13coach
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                    I think one of the major problems is that soccer is essentially pay-to-play at the lower levels. If you really want to develop successful soccer, you need to have USA soccer and the MLS funding things all the way down as far as competitive soccer.
                    I agree and would like to add that it relies on decent soccer players (better than average but have not reached an elite level yet) to fund the development of the top players. Families spend thousands of dollars yearly just to play on select/premier club teams just to fill out a team so that 1 maybe 2 players on said team can develop. It doesn't take long before families call it quits. If the funding was there then there would be many more kids in the system and the time to develop. The local clubs are kind of forced to throw sub-par teams together as fodder yet needed to bring money for fund their top teams.
                    Sound like the AAU system a bit?
                    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
                    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
                    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO
                    sigpic
                    E .· ` ' / ·. F
                    The FOO fuels me.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                      • Feb 2007

It's not like soccer costs a lot, you just need a ball. Travel soccer is no doubt a racket. They lock fields up so that only kids who play a few times a week after they pull up in mini vans can use them. Local kids without the means to participate, but who live with a ball on their foot scrounge field time where they can.

I would love to see a travel soccer program try to be free.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• webspinnre
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by a13coach View Post
                        I agree and would like to add that it relies on decent soccer players (better than average but have not reached an elite level yet) to fund the development of the top players. Families spend thousands of dollars yearly just to play on select/premier club teams just to fill out a team so that 1 maybe 2 players on said team can develop. It doesn't take long before families call it quits. If the funding was there then there would be many more kids in the system and the time to develop. The local clubs are kind of forced to throw sub-par teams together as fodder yet needed to bring money for fund their top teams.
                        Sound like the AAU system a bit?
                        Yes, very similar to the AAU system. Probably not quite as corrupt, but it hasn't been around as long and been as popular as long, plus NCAA soccer scholarships aren't big business in the same way basketball is.

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

It's not like soccer costs a lot, you just need a ball. Travel soccer is no doubt a racket. They lock fields up so that only kids who play a few times a week after they pull up in mini vans can use them. Local kids without the means to participate, but who live with a ball on their foot scrounge field time where they can.

The way for this to happen would require completely revamping the way MLS does business with regards to player development and the "rights" to players. The problem right now is that unlike Europe, where if you develop a player, that player is yours, in the US, until that player signs a contract, he can go anywhere. So, you could develop a player from the age of 5-16, and then if a larger club comes calling (or a European club), he can be gone and you get nothing. In Europe this is how lower level teams sometimes end up funding their player development - they develop one player who gets sold, and that player funds a portion of the rest of the development for the players who stay at the club.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

There is travel and then there is "Travel". I coached travel, but my son tried out for a couple of "Travel" teams. Costs for those were astronomical. $300+ a month plus costs of hotels at out of state games and tournaments. Oh that is just the fees to be on the team... It was also about $1500-$2000 per season for training which was 4-5 days a week. So unless the next Messi in the US comes from money... he ain't going to be discovered... and will wither on the vine. Truly sad... I had some great players... kids I KNOW could play at that level... they played for me because they couldn't remotely think about paying that kind of money. I loved those kids to death, but I knew they deserved better but couldn't afford it. I did my best to teach them the game better and make them better people.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                            X