Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiltjer for the Rio Grand Valley Vipers in D-League

I have no idea what players like Kyle make playing in the D League....but I understand the new NBA Agreement calls for raising the D league salaries to $50-75K....so that could push the overseas salaries higher....competition is good...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I have no idea what players like Kyle make playing in the D League....but I understand the new NBA Agreement calls for raising the D league salaries to $50-75K....so that could push the overseas salaries higher....competition is good...
    Kyle's salary is paid for by the Rockets who then "farm" him out to their subsidiary the Vipers.. IIRC, he signed for some where in the neighborhood of 250 to 300K. Houston has a plethora of sharpshooters so Kyle is held in reserve.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Just for perspective, you can play like that in the D League and rarely sniff the floor in the NBA. The gap in talent level between D league and the Association is huge and the D League is full of top NCAA players ala Kyle.
    Oh I agree. But the point I was making is that guys who do make the NBA from the D tend to put up very good stats in the D. It doesn't mean he will make it though. Just he is showing the stuff of guys who often do make it.

However, if he was putting up rather meek, unimpressive performances in the D, I would be quite confident saying he just isn't getting to the NBA.

If not the NBA - he should play at a pretty high level in Europe. At least a Eurocup level team...maybe Euroleague with Daye and Pangos.

Kyle's salary is paid for by the Rockets who then "farm" him out to their subsidiary the Vipers.. IIRC, he signed for some where in the neighborhood of 250 to 300K. Houston has a plethora of sharpshooters so Kyle is held in reserve.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought he signed for the league minimum of $400K+, which is why he took this gig so that he would be part of the NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought he signed for the league minimum of $400K+, which is why he took this gig so that he would be part of the NBA team.
    You are both sorta right. League minimum for a rookie this year was about $540K (jumps up to ~900K for 2nd year players).
    That's what they get when in the NBA - officially on an NBA roster (and pro-rated to their time on the team. However, Kyle has spent much of the year in the D-League. Thus why it is officially announced (recalled from/assigned to) when he goes back and forth to the D. And why it matters.

The D-league minimum is like $13K for a "C" player. Kyle would be an "A" type player guaranteed $26K. But quite the difference with the NBA, eh? And you'd be pretty pissed when sent down to the D-league going from a salary of $540 to $19K. So what Kyle and many young borderline guys like him do is sign a minimum guaranteed contract so he will get X amount no matter how much time he is with the D league (but would still collect the higher salary when with the Rockets).

I don't think it was ever disclosed exactly what his minimum guarantee was, but I recall it being something in the 275K range in the 1st year, with the 2nd year of the contract at the Rocket's option. The interesting part is that it goes up to ~$1.3M or so in Year 2 and the trigger date for the Rocket's to decide on that is July 12, 2017. That will be a key date for KW!

Now there is a rule about spending a certain amount of days on the NBA teams roster, you end up getting the guaranteed NBA minimum amount. The CBA is fairly complicated, and I am not sure the specifics of that rule. But Kyle could have qualified for the full $540K league minimum by being with the team in January 2017. I am not sure about that though. Find me a CBA expert!

So in short this season he made somewhere between $275K and $540K.

Here is Wiltjer's contract info, accuracy not known.

http://hoopshype.com/player/kyle-wiltjer/salary/
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Here is Wiltjer's contract info, accuracy not known.

http://hoopshype.com/player/kyle-wiltjer/salary/
    I think at least year 1 is accurate. On further research, since he was still with the Rockets organization on January 10, 2017 his Year 1 then became fully guaranteed at the league minimum of $540K.

I see different sources showing his year 2 as ~$900K or ~$1.3M. And that one kicks in as guaranteed if he is not waived by the Rockets before July 12, 2017.

Box Score

First playoff game against Brady Hyslop's 905 Raptors is going to be Sunday, April 23, at 5:00 pm. Got my DVR set.

Kyle's stats log for the 2016-17 regular season: http://stats.nbadleague.com/player/#...erMode=PerGame

Brady's stats log for the 2016-17 regular season: http://stats.nbadleague.com/player/#...erMode=PerGame

Good luck in the finals, Kyle!
    Last edited by ZagNative; 04-20-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Nice play by Kyle in today's 119-106 first round finals win over the 905 Raptors:

Box Score

Game 2 Tuesday at 4:00 PM.

I'm watching Kyle play for the Vipers on ESPNU in Game 2 of the D-league finals vs Raptors 905, currently trailing 20-23. Box Score

Kyle with another great performance in today's 85-95 loss to the Raptors 905, tying the series at 1-1, with the deciding game to be played day after tomorrow, April 27th.

Looks like Kyle had a horrible game today in the final game of the finals against Raptors 905. Box Score 7points on 3/14 shooting ....