Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the plan for Rui?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Pretty disappointed that Rui did not get more playing time against Pepperdine. We had 20+ point lead with 10 minutes left in the game and he only went in with the scrubs under the 3 minute mark. So much for all of the talk about utilizing Christmas break to get him going for league play. Granted it is the first game of league but they didn't even try to give him any meaningful minutes. They are not even trying to teach him during the games.

Maybe there still is a plan to get him integrated into the system by the end of the year but not a good first step in league play. Now we head out on the road and I can't picture Few playing him more on the road than home.

We have had Mike Hart in a starting role on our team and he had no discernible offensive skill-set. I am surprised they can't find a small role for Rui given his rebounding, shot-blocking, and athleticism. Unlike Hart, he can hit an open 3.

It's too bad really, as he is a very talented player.
    Troll of a post. It's obvious Rui has next level athleticism and equally obvious he does not yet comprehend Zags' offensive and defensive sets. A coach cannot give meaningful minutes to a player everyone on the team knows does not yet comprehend and/or execute the team's plays; doing so would be a morale killer for the other reserves no matter how much they may like Rui and would undermine the coaching staff's credibility in the eyes of the team.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Troll of a post. It's obvious Rui has next level athleticism and equally obvious he does not yet comprehend Zags' offensive and defensive sets. A coach cannot give meaningful minutes to a player everyone on the team knows does not yet comprehend and/or execute the team's plays; doing so would be a morale killer for the other reserves no matter how much they may like Rui and would undermine the coaching staff's credibility in the eyes of the team.

Spot on, Flex. Well put.

One aspect of the staff's playing time philosophy that has become very apparent over the years is that they don't use game time to develop players. Meaningful minutes go to players that are going to be on the floor in March.

I expect that the only way the minutes mix is going to change is if a player really shows something during practices. Neither Rui or Jones have seen playing time outside of the closing minutes of blowouts. Odds are that is where they will be this year.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Totally agree. Rui isnt ready for 10 minutes of team ball. While I do like that he passes and rebounds, he is still a one on one type of player.

And dang it am I tired of hearing how Mike Hart had no offense. The kid was the ultimate teammate playing with great players. He was a dang great three point shooter but deferred for the teams good. When he did take one, he was a 60% shooter. He was an opportunistic disrupter and any coach in the world would have had him and his 2 point per game average playing for them.

Pretty disappointed that Rui did not get more playing time against Pepperdine. We had 20+ point lead with 10 minutes left in the game and he only went in with the scrubs under the 3 minute mark. So much for all of the talk about utilizing Christmas break to get him going for league play. Granted it is the first game of league but they didn't even try to give him any meaningful minutes. They are not even trying to teach him during the games.

Maybe there still is a plan to get him integrated into the system by the end of the year but not a good first step in league play. Now we head out on the road and I can't picture Few playing him more on the road than home.

We have had Mike Hart in a starting role on our team and he had no discernible offensive skill-set. I am surprised they can't find a small role for Rui given his rebounding, shot-blocking, and athleticism. Unlike Hart, he can hit an open 3.

It's too bad really, as he is a very talented player.
    What talk? Could you point to a quote from Few or the staff?

I know, I know. It's got to be disappointing that Rui wasn't able to fully learn English, adapt to the culture, learn the offense, learn the defense and learn all of the nuances over Christmas break.

What a shame.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

What does Rui plan ? It is pretty much up to him how he progresses ...

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Totally agree. Rui isnt ready for 10 minutes of team ball. While I do like that he passes and rebounds, he is still a one on one type of player.

And dang it am I tired of hearing how Mike Hart had no offense. The kid was the ultimate teammate playing with great players. He was a dang great three point shooter but deferred for the teams good. When he did take one, he was a 60% shooter. He was an opportunistic disrupter and any coach in the world would have had him and his 2 point per game average playing for them.
    I think you nailed it, Hooter! 1 on 1 player. I started the likeness to Elgin Baylor thread without giving any thought to the fact that Baylor was a 1 on 1 player in college but HAD TO BE because his team mates were at no where near the talent of today's Zag's. In fact, at SU they often cleared out one side of the court so he could work his magic.

Not the Zag's game. But when Rui learns it, I think we'll be treated to two or three Elgin like moves to the hoop a game for patented "Seismic Slams."

His time will come and we're going to love it!

Concur MontanaCoyote. Rui's time will come and it will awesome. We just need to be patient in the timing. The Staff knew before the season it was going to take Rui some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's got all the tools to be a superior player but the teaching is slow going with a major language impediment. Well like kid but the language issue makes it a lot tougher. I'm not sure what Rui and his parent were thinking send hi off to the US with so little English.
    My prediction is that he won't advance by leaps and bounds till he make English a priority. I believe he will .

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Spot on, Flex. Well put.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    He's got all the tools to be a superior player but the teaching is slow going with a major language impediment. Well like kid but the language issue makes it a lot tougher. I'm not sure what Rui and his parent were thinking send hi off to the US with so little English.
    My prediction is that he won't advance by leaps and bounds till he make English a priority. I believe he will .
    I think it's at least as much a matter of not having had to develop fundamental basketball skills in a country where he was so much bigger and more athletic than everyone else. There's a Japanese guy that lives in Seattle who goes to my gym, about 6'2, slightly above average pickup ball player here and he played college ball in Japan.

Rui does things like going up off-balance on short jumpers, and has to learn fundamental decision making in the team game. He will. Just a matter of time. If he had grown up in the US with the competition and teaching available here, he'd be a different player now. But he'll be that player, just not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    What talk? Could you point to a quote from Few or the staff?

I know, I know. It's got to be disappointing that Rui wasn't able to fully learn English, adapt to the culture, learn the offense, learn the defense and learn all of the nuances over Christmas break.

What a shame.
    Actually, that was Richard Fox from the SD broadcast. I thought the staff was trying to make him a priority over break to get him a role. DD has mentioned that he believes he should have a role by the end of the year. Sorry I don't have access to the coaches but I listen to what people close to the program say. I am glad to hear your opinion on such matters but I do not require your sarcasm. Thanks in advance.

Heres a recent quote from Few about getting some of the other guys involved.

“We have a little opportunity right now without having class that we can kind of major in basketball for about a month,” coach Mark Few said. “That top eight (in the rotation) has been good, we’ve been kind of dialed into that. I think I have to do a better job of growing the next two to get it to 10 or so.

“Bryan (Alberts) deserves some time. Jeremy Jones (returning from ankle injury), we have to get a way to get him in and obviously still trying to grow Rui (Hachimura) but man it’s a challenge to get 10, 11 guys into a rotation.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...op-more-depth/

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Troll of a post huh? I think it is obvious that Rui is struggling with the sets yet he is making an effort at them. He is lost sometimes but is picking of something's as well; he just needs more experience. Hence my post, despite what you may think 5 or 6 minutes of playing time at home during a blow-out against a team that has lost it's last 8 games does not count as "meaningful" minutes. That is the reason for my frustration, not trolling. Stick to your basketball opinions, trust me it is a far better look for you. Also, talent goes a long way in sports, a lot further than people's feelings. Getting a guy with Rui's skill set ready to play would not be a morale killer (especially against the worst teams in the WCC) because as been stated all year, these guys want to win. He has a skill-set that no one else has on this team. But Mark Few knows what he is doing and maybe the language barrier is going to be too much to overcome this year for any role. I'm excited for the future for him and the zags though.

No worries Murph. We like sarcasm here! lol...........as sarcasm goes though, it was pretty good! Everyone gets his/her turn in the barrel once in a while.

OK, maybe Mathews since he had already taken 13 shots; just kidding but who was the last Zag with that kind of license, besides KP?
    Jazz, I know that's a lot of shots, but what's not to like about 5-11 behind the arc? You have to take that any time you can get it. He just happened to be 0-fer on 2 point attempts. NWG hoisted 16 shots in the same game and only hit 6, not exactly torching the net.

I predict Rui will be here at least 3 years. Learn English, get a degree, and develop his game for the next level. It will be a good ending.

Troll of a post huh? I think it is obvious that Rui is struggling with the sets yet he is making an effort at them. He is lost sometimes but is picking of something's as well; he just needs more experience. Hence my post, despite what you may think 5 or 6 minutes of playing time at home during a blow-out against a team that has lost it's last 8 games does not count as "meaningful" minutes. That is the reason for my frustration, not trolling. Stick to your basketball opinions, trust me it is a far better look for you. Also, talent goes a long way in sports, a lot further than people's feelings. Getting a guy with Rui's skill set ready to play would not be a morale killer (especially against the worst teams in the WCC) because as been stated all year, these guys want to win. He has a skill-set that no one else has on this team. But Mark Few knows what he is doing and maybe the language barrier is going to be too much to overcome this year for any role. I'm excited for the future for him and the zags though.
    Both you and Flex made good points...

I did notice against PU that Rui was the first non-rotational player off the bench, which I think means that he is doing better. The PU game was really a horrible GU effort, we were really out of sync in that first half. Back to Rui, he just exudes talent and it just seems hard for the staff to get him into the "starting gate" as it seems like he just wants to "go" before the bell...

Rui will get more time as the season goes...there are 17 more conference games so be patient...

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Jazz, I know that's a lot of shots, but what's not to like about 5-11 behind the arc? You have to take that any time you can get it. He just happened to be 0-fer on 2 point attempts. NWG hoisted 16 shots in the same game and only hit 6, not exactly torching the net.
    It's a ton of shots from anyone not named Ammo, KP or Wiltjer is the point. He's not option #1 I believe. Lots for NWG. I would like to see Josh and Collins get more shots in the offense.

It's a ton of shots from anyone not named Ammo, KP or Wiltjer is the point. He's not option #1 I believe. Lots for NWG. I would like to see Josh and Collins get more shots in the offense.
    I hear ya. 29 attempts between those 2 is a lot. Just one game though, not really a trend at this point. I think there will be quite a bit of variance during the course of the season as far as shot attempts game to game for various players. Hard to argue against getting more shot attempts for a guy currently hitting over 70%. Perkins didn't seem very aggressive against Pepperdine, that's partially on him for not getting more shots up.

Default Wasted year of eligibility

It is looking like Rui will have blown a year of eligibility so he could show off a few dunks in garbage time. It is no answer to say that red shirting is a player's choice. Somebody has to be the adult. 18 or 19 year old kid who barely speaks English and has never played US college basketball is not equipped to make an informed decision.

Jazz, you want more shots for perkins?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Jazz, you want more shots for perkins?
    Um, yes. He's shooting like 1,000%. ��

Troll of a post huh?......
    But Mark Few knows what he is doing and maybe the language barrier is going to be too much to overcome this year for any role. I'm excited for the future for him and the zags though.
    Yes......and yes.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Mathews 9-18 from 3 the last 2 games, seems to have rediscovered his stroke from early in the season. He can keep shooting as far as I'm concerned.