Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the plan for Rui?

Default What is the plan for Rui?

I am wondering if anyone knows the coaches' plan for Rui this season. With all of his natural ability I am curious if they are hoping he picks up the lingo and system and is a rotation guy or major contributor by the end of the season. Or is he just going to get scrub minutes all year.

The guy has a lot of natural ability and he seems to be looking less lost out there as the games go by. It would be nice to have him in the fold for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    I am wondering if anyone knows the coaches' plan for Rui this season. With all of his natural ability I am curious if they are hoping he picks up the lingo and system and is a rotation guy or major contributor by the end of the season. Or is he just going to get scrub minutes all year.

The guy has a lot of natural ability and he seems to be looking less lost out there as the games go by. It would be nice to have him in the fold for this season.
    Bol Kong had a lot of natural ability, too.

Rui will earn plenty of minutes, he's still adapting to the higher level of talent in the US. We all need to be patient during OOC, and things will be clearer by Christmas.

I don't have insider information, but it seems that, despite being 9-10th off the bench, Rui did not want to redshirt to learn the language and system.

It will be up to him how much he fits into what the Zags are doing. If he accepts it, learns the offensive and defensive sets, he could move up the ladder in minutes...but at whose expense?

Easily I could see him in front of Alberts, maybe in certain match-ups ahead of Tillie (unless Tillie keeps playing the way he has, then HE will be hard to get past).

I see NWG, Perkins, Mathews and Melson in the guard slots, Karno, Collins, Tillie, W 111 in the front line. Alberts and Rui will come in at the 3 or small 4 as the game dictates, assuming they perform when they are in. Edwards will provide emergency back-up at the 5.
    It's not funny.

I will say that one thing I noticed was his rebounding. When he's in the game he get's most of the defensive boards. I would not compare him to Bol KONG. i n any way. Come on! You can do better than that.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Good question. Subbing him in for garbage time to gain experience would seem to be the first step, but then he got yanked vs SDSU and never came back into the game.

Either prepare him well enough in practice to know he can "succeed" in a game (understand and execute basic offensive sets and defensive assignments), or don't put him in the game at all. I felt bad for him finally being subbed in then pulled out in 2 minutes. Even if he was completely out of place offensively/defensively, it reflects more poorly on the coaches then the player to have that happen. If he's not ready, don't play him! Kind of jerking him around mentally otherwise.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I will say that one thing I noticed was his rebounding. When he's in the game he get's most of the defensive boards. I would not compare him to Bol KONG. i n any way. Come on! You can do better than that.
    C'mon, I was merely being curmudgeonly. Of course, there's no comparison to Bol, we no longer have to take on problematic projects. Our 10-13 players would likely start on the vast majority of colleges in the country.

I am a big Rui fan-- he chose not to redshirt -- so in order to get time on the floor he needs to a. learn the system and b. outplay the guys in front of him (including Jones when he is healthy).

Give him a year -- hopefully he will learn the system and have a better shot at time on the floor -- but for now it is going to be minimal minutes in blowouts and lots of learning experiences.

I noticed the same thing, crazy length. Looks like could become a great rebounder and defensive player.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    C'mon, I was merely being curmudgeonly. Of course, there's no comparison to Bol, we no longer have to take on problematic projects. Our 10-13 players would likely start on the vast majority of colleges in the country.
    Insofar as Rui is dripping with natural ability, but still has a long ways to go to adjust to a new setting, I think the comparison to Bol is completely appropriate. Just because Bol didn't make that transition successfully doesn't preclude Rui from being able to do so. In fact, from interviews that he's given and from what we've heard from the coaches, it seems like Rui is doing everything right at this stage, but he still has a ways to go.

Picking up the language will be paramount, as I'm sure that's a big piece of why he looks a bit lost on the court - hard to coach somebody into a system when they're not 100% up to speed on the language - but once that is no longer an issue, he could be a special player.

Whether it takes him months or years to get comfortable with the language will be the difference between him contributing this year and him contributing as a Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Good question. Subbing him in for garbage time to gain experience would seem to be the first step, but then he got yanked vs SDSU and never came back into the game.

Either prepare him well enough in practice to know he can "succeed" in a game (understand and execute basic offensive sets and defensive assignments), or don't put him in the game at all. I felt bad for him finally being subbed in then pulled out in 2 minutes. Even if he was completely out of place offensively/defensively, it reflects more poorly on the coaches then the player to have that happen. If he's not ready, don't play him! Kind of jerking him around mentally otherwise.
    I pretty much agree, but do you think that maybe for someone like him (never played ball against competition CLOSE to this) just getting him on the floor at all could prove to be extremely valuable? I'd think it would be easier to coach someone and teach them the system if they have some on court experience. I hear you, though.. hard to get much out of 2 minutes per night.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

My "guess" is while there IS a plan for Rui .... more important now is the "plan" for the 8 (or 9) man rotation ... finding which combinations work ... getting guys comfortable with each other. If that means fewer minutes for Rui ... so be it.

I know I'd rather have the core working smoothly together as the Zags get to the heart of non-conference action. There will be plenty of time in non "high profile" games to get others (including Rui) on the floor. At least that's my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    My "guess" is while there IS a plan for Rui .... more important now is the "plan" for the 8 (or 9) man rotation ... finding which combinations work ... getting guys comfortable with each other. If that means fewer minutes for Rui ... so be it.

I know I'd rather have the core working smoothly together as the Zags get to the heart of non-conference action. There will be plenty of time in non "high profile" games to get others (including Rui) on the floor. At least that's my thinking.
    I like your take on Rui & floor time. Maybe when the Zags have meshed well Rui will see more time. I hope that's by mid-January - or even sooner. Having had a Japanese exchanged student live with us for a year there can be some rather interesting situations - even when they know English pretty well. The gal that stayed with us finally asked us what the "Dead End" sign meant. We had a laugh on that one as she looked pretty relieved when we told her the meaning. I bring that up just to put some things in context. Stuff we Americans use in English can really be quite far from what the words actually mean. It takes not only a good handle on the language up also the culture in order to find a good fit.

I also agree with GoZags. In the out of conference I do not see him getting much time. But as the season goes, he will get more. It is important that he plays against players that play for these major D1 teams. He has the skill, the tools and the body to play at this level. This year he will be learning the language, the concept of playing sets (both offense and defense), learning to play with players as good as he is, and listening to the coaches and players during and after games. This will do nothing but make him better in the following years.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Bol Kong had a lot of natural ability, too.

Rui will earn plenty of minutes, he's still adapting to the higher level of talent in the US. We all need to be patient during OOC, and things will be clearer by Christmas.
    The Legend of Bol Kong. I almost didn't think he was a real person, and I'm still not so sure. Those were fun times on the GU Boards.

What happened to him? I don't seem to remember much about him in a Zags uni...

I worry about Rui feeling isolated by the language barrier. I'm sure though that the team is looking out for him as much as they possibly can. Gonzaga is outstanding at inclusion. I attended a small high school where, during the time I was there, it was unthinkable to leave anyone out of social occasions. I learned a lot about equal regard from that experience and I see that spirit reflected in the basketball teams at GU.

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I worry about Rui feeling isolated by the language barrier. I'm sure though that the team is looking out for him as much as they possibly can. Gonzaga is outstanding at inclusion. I attended a small high school where, during the time I was there, it was unthinkable to leave anyone out of social occasions. I learned a lot about equal regard from that experience and I see that spirit reflected in the basketball teams at GU.
    Re-watch the SDSU game when Matthews makes those 3's to start off the 2nd half and Rui is one of the first guys off the bench. Something tells me that he's enjoying this.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Bol Kong!

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    I like your take on Rui & floor time. Maybe when the Zags have meshed well Rui will see more time. I hope that's by mid-January - or even sooner. Having had a Japanese exchanged student live with us for a year there can be some rather interesting situations - even when they know English pretty well. The gal that stayed with us finally asked us what the "Dead End" sign meant. We had a laugh on that one as she looked pretty relieved when we told her the meaning. I bring that up just to put some things in context. Stuff we Americans use in English can really be quite far from what the words actually mean. It takes not only a good handle on the language up also the culture in order to find a good fit.
    I endeared myself to a German innkeeper long ago. I liked to turn uniquely American phrases into German. His favorite was damentotschlager; lady killer. During those 3 months of a temporary assignment, I'd help him close down the bar between 3-4 AM (2-3 times a week), that's when dawn started in Northern Germany. From there, I'd head to the base and perform my duties as Mess Hall Officer. When you're 25, you're indestructible. Not to mention the fact that 4 years at GU was superb training for living in Germany. lol, the upgrade in beer quality from Lucky/Rainier to German beer was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The Legend of Bol Kong. I almost didn't think he was a real person, and I'm still not so sure. Those were fun times on the GU Boards.

What happened to him? I don't seem to remember much about him in a Zags uni...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bol_Kong

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I felt bad for him finally being subbed in then pulled out in 2 minutes. Even if he was completely out of place offensively/defensively, it reflects more poorly on the coaches then the player to have that happen. If he's not ready, don't play him! Kind of jerking him around mentally otherwise.
    Coaching moment.

Let him play, let him get some in-game experience, and adjust to the speed and intensity of college ball. Let him screw up when it doesn't count. Pull him and walk him thru what he did wrong. Rinse and repeat. It also shows him that no matter how skilled he is, that he's not ready to play until he learns and understands the system.

I see nothing wrong with what the coaches did.

I would not redshirt him for another reason. I also think that it is important that he is with his teammates, communicating with them and learning by watching them. He is also talking and communicating with them on the road which again will help him next year. I think that the language barriers will be broken more by being with the team rather than redshirting and working on his own. This to me is a great call by the coaches and Rui. I doubt that he would have been here 5 years anyway, so let him be with his teammates as much as possible and learn the language as he is doing it. I think that this keeps him with people that play the game and he might not stress out as much.

Pretty disappointed that Rui did not get more playing time against Pepperdine. We had 20+ point lead with 10 minutes left in the game and he only went in with the scrubs under the 3 minute mark. So much for all of the talk about utilizing Christmas break to get him going for league play. Granted it is the first game of league but they didn't even try to give him any meaningful minutes. They are not even trying to teach him during the games.

Maybe there still is a plan to get him integrated into the system by the end of the year but not a good first step in league play. Now we head out on the road and I can't picture Few playing him more on the road than home.

We have had Mike Hart in a starting role on our team and he had no discernible offensive skill-set. I am surprised they can't find a small role for Rui given his rebounding, shot-blocking, and athleticism. Unlike Hart, he can hit an open 3.

It's too bad really, as he is a very talented player.

Pretty disappointed that Rui did not get more playing time against Pepperdine. We had 20+ point lead with 10 minutes left in the game and he only went in with the scrubs under the 3 minute mark. So much for all of the talk about utilizing Christmas break to get him going for league play. Granted it is the first game of league but they didn't even try to give him any meaningful minutes. They are not even trying to teach him during the games.

Maybe there still is a plan to get him integrated into the system by the end of the year but not a good first step in league play. Now we head out on the road and I can't picture Few playing him more on the road than home.

We have had Mike Hart in a starting role on our team and he had no discernible offensive skill-set. I am surprised they can't find a small role for Rui given his rebounding, shot-blocking, and athleticism. Unlike Hart, he can hit an open 3.

It's too bad really, as he is a very talented player.
    just for the record, mike hart hit almost 60% of his 3s senior year (13/22) and finished the season with the #1 ortg in the country according to kenpom (163.3). yeah, his usage was low, but he was an extremely efficient offensive player and he hit open 3s. however, you are correct that rui is by far the superior offensive player.

regardless, one game strikes me as a little early to declare anything "too bad" or "so much for...". let's see what happens

The following is a better resume than Rui's:

Bol chose to attend Douglas College because the NCAA treats a 4 year university in Canada just like one in the US -- transfers must sit out a year. Not so, apparantly, with a Canadian junior college. Apparantly already a great junior college program before Bol arrived, Douglas went 19 - 0 this past year and won the national championship. Bol averaged +/- 19 ppg, which his coach says was accomplished without any particular difficulty, since Bol is first and foremost a team player.

In their preseason game against US teams this past fall, Bol scored 28 points against Marquette, and later that same day scored 33 points against Boise State. Both of those schools participated in March Madness at the end of the season.
    Although Bol didn't fully dedicate himself to GU, he was initially talented enough to be handed a GU jersey. We don't know enough about Rui yet to predict how frustrated he might become about his marginal role or how patiently he will handle a daunting cultural/language/academic adjustment. Like Bol, diverse issues can effect his "want to". Further, the Kong experience may have provided enough "lessons learned" for the staff so that they are better equipped to manage unique players.
    I miss Mike Hart

Rui is no Mike Hart. Lets hope he ever approaches Mikes value. I think the staff would be more interested in integrating Jeremy Jones at this pt, as he would be a more reliable sub going forward this yr. I have zero expectations of Rui now, other than he seems a delightful young man who can soar. Other than that, he has miles to go, long haul miles.....the Bol experience is instructive......we have 8-9 terrific kids ahead of Rui. Who would you sit, even w a 20 pt lead? OK, maybe Mathews since he had already taken 13 shots; just kidding but who was the last Zag with that kind of license, besides KP?