Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norvell?

Default Norvell?

Is it certain that Norvell is red shirting?

Seems like the option is certainly still in place.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. He plays in the exhibition that doesn't count against the red shirt status and then does not see the court in the two counting games even though few emptied the bench of every single suited up player. Either that or he's moved behind Triano and Rem in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post
    I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. He plays in the exhibition that doesn't count against the red shirt status and then does not see the court in the two counting games even though few emptied the bench of every single suited up player. Either that or he's moved behind Triano and Rem in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Is it certain that Norvell is red shirting?
    Far from "official" but I'd heard that they wanted to take a few weeks and see what was happening with his knee. I believe there was soreness after the exhibition game. He IS practicing and available in an emergency but if there was a "cliche" to use it would be "slow and steady wins the race".

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Far from "official" but I'd heard that they wanted to take a few weeks and see what was happening with his knee. I believe there was soreness after the exhibition game. He IS practicing and available in an emergency but if there was a "cliche" to use it would be "slow and steady wins the race".
    this makes absolute sense. If he has any lingering physical issues it is best to see him come through with complete healing and thus complete confidence. At that point they can determine if red shirt is the option which my guess will hinge on the timing of his full recovery. He is one of those I was looking forward to seeing play alot
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by btzag View Post

If he was certainly redshirting, then he wouldn't have been suited up for the last two games. Definitely something more going on, I assume it has to do with trying to let his knee heal more. If he can get healthy, I'm all for him playing this season, even if his minutes are limited.

If his knee is 80-90% fine, can he still play the past couple games ... not working out... Medical red shirt ? Or with prolonged type injury dating back to summer/further the NCAA would not allow GU to go that route.

??

--Is he going in pre game warmups ? Going full speed ? How about practices ? He's one of my fav players on this team already. I just believe he'll be special talent for GU, health pending of course v

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    If he was certainly redshirting, then he wouldn't have been suited up for the last two games. Definitely something more going on, I assume it has to do with trying to let his knee heal more. If he can get healthy, I'm all for him playing this season, even if his minutes are limited.
    Norvell suited up but did not "warm up" last night. He shot a little bit but didn't fully warm up.

Draino suited for every game his Freshman year; didn't play.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

My guess is that they could use him if they had an injury but they prefer to redshirt him. Granted, this is probably due to the knee but there are also only so many minutes available and he'd be the 5th option at the 1 thru 3 spots.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Draino suited for every game his Freshman year; didn't play.
    and melson, his freshman year. was ready to go-- and then had to when josh got kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    and melson, his freshman year. was ready to go-- and then had to when josh got kicked.
    This is exactly the situation I think Norvell is in. I would be blown away if Norvell sees any time if all the guards stay healthy, eligible and playing at the level we have seen to start the year.

In my opinion, Norvell is totally different from Melson or Dranginis. He is a lot more mature than both of them on their freshman years. I don't think Norvell will be around long, and if we don't use him it will be a waste. If he is ready and healthy, I rather play him now than burn 1 year of redshirt. Like Kelly Olynyk, we could've used him 1 more year than sitting him RS and he left early anyway. But it's just my opinion, i am sure the coach has very good reasons to sit him the last 2 games

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    My guess is that they could use him if they had an injury but they prefer to redshirt him. Granted, this is probably due to the knee but there are also only so many minutes available and he'd be the 5th option at the 1 thru 3 spots.
    I am significantly missing something that Few is seeing if he honestly thinks Bryan Alberts is the better option over Norvell (as you state above).

Quote Originally Posted by timgozags View Post
    Like Kelly Olynyk, we could've used him 1 more year than sitting him RS and he left early anyway.
    That's apples and oranges I think. Olynk would not have been Olynk without the RS year. His first 2 seasons were pretty mediocre. He was a TOTALLY different player when he emerged after the RS. There was plenty of documentation about his training and the transformation he went thru.

I absolutely think Norvell should and will play this year if his knee is healthy and pain-free. Four guys for 3 spots isn't enough over the course of a season; at some point somebody is sure to get dinged up or in foul trouble in a big game, and Norvell/Alberts isn't close as to who you want stepping in.

This could be THE year for the Zags. Karno's gone, and though I think Collins is a 2 yr player, you never know. Hope Norvell gets well and plays, even if it's 10-15 mpg. I don't think he'll be around for 5 yrs anyway, as tim said above, and it's obvious his game is mature beyond his years, at least on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I am significantly missing something that Few is seeing if he honestly thinks Bryan Alberts is the better option over Norvell (as you state above).
    No I think he's stating Alberts is the 5th option today and if Norvell decided to play he would be the 5th option instead of Alberts. And right now Alberts is only getting garbage time minutes.

IF Norvell got playing time Few would basically be subtracting from NWG, Perkins, Melson or Matthews.

So, it seems that Norvell may be dealing with a knee issue and not a doghouse?

Hope he gets healthy and had a chance to develop. He has the potential to be a contributor like Tillie and Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I absolutely think Norvell should and will play this year if his knee is healthy and pain-free. Four guys for 3 spots isn't enough over the course of a season; at some point somebody is sure to get dinged up or in foul trouble in a big game, and Norvell/Alberts isn't close as to who you want stepping in.

This could be THE year for the Zags. Karno's gone, and though I think Collins is a 2 yr player, you never know. Hope Norvell gets well and plays, even if it's 10-15 mpg. I don't think he'll be around for 5 yrs anyway, as tim said above, and it's obvious his game is mature beyond his years, at least on offense.
    Yes definitely agree with this mindset, though coaches seem to really like Alberts and keep giving him chances....

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    So, it seems that Norvell may be dealing with a knee issue and not a doghouse?

Hope he gets healthy and had a chance to develop. He has the potential to be a contributor like Tillie and Collins.

It is a knee/health issue. Nothing more. Nothing less. If he were 100 percent healthy he would be in the rotation. He isn't 100 percent healthy. And he certainly isn't in any "doghouse"

It is a knee/health issue. Nothing more. Nothing less. If he were 100 percent healthy he would be in the rotation. He isn't 100 percent healthy. And he certainly isn't in any "doghouse"
    Roger that.

In his interview on the Mark Few Show this week, Few stated that Zack was going to suit up, warm up, and be ready to go if needed, but they were going to treat it like a redshirt year, until an emergency dictated otherwise. I think he mentioned the discomfort Zach after the exhibition, as well. I took it to be pretty squarely, not gonna play him unless we "needed to" ala Melson's freshman year.

Dranginis suited up his whole redshirt season. It's the player's choice. I read the thought process was that it prepares the player for what game day will be like moreso than if you wore street clothes.
    Go Zags!!!

I don't see this as a big deal at the moment. From my perch 2000 miles away, the comments I've seen indicate that he would be in the rotation if he was healthy. Is Alberts taking those minutes now? We've got six weeks before WCC play begins, I'm fine with letting it play out.

Judging by the quality of players in this recruiting class, I can't think of one who will be here for all four years. That's where the program is at now, and it reflects the changing face of college basketball.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but at least half of the kids in my area have individual coaches that help them develop their games. Our HS is now running a year round program, and have the facilities to do it. Fine by me, it will help keep my son out of trouble, he's a typical 14 YO PITA that is a magnet for teenage hijinks.