Thread: Fan fest.....

Default Fan fest.....

fan fest went well....maybe 2000 attendees....

many players were milling about before the game....friendly...

Wolfie did not suit up, but she was out there visiting....I think she might have had her mom there....

I saw the Stockton family, Jill's family, Zee's family, Elle's mom and her sister. Shaq's parents were there....Shaq is overseas and the grandparents are taking care of Shaq's little girl...

full band was there and the bomb squad and the cheerleaders...

started off with shoot off with people from the stands....I think Kiara was the last one standing...

then the 3 point contest with Emma S and Mac facing off and Mac won.....

the scrimmage was hard fought ...

blue was Jill/Grace/Zhane/Elle/Loera/Mac and white team was LS/Emma/Kiara/Zee/Chandler.....in the the third quarter a couple players switched teams because Jill got in foul trouble. obviously, there wasn't much room for substitution......the new transfer was there but I don't think she played...

overall take on this team is they are very very talented....much quicker overall....more aggressive...

very winded too.....I guess until you get into scrimmages and actual games its hard to get your breath going.

Zee: I think Zee was very impressive...she fights hard and can shoot those little jumpers....rebounds....I think she's a starter on any other team in the WCC and probably for many other teams besides....I hope she gets a ton of minutes....

Elle: went to the floor 3 times....we all held our breath....the defense that Elle plays gives us a defense that we have sorely missed.....she disrupts...steals...grabs...so quick for being a tall girl and those long arms.....

Grace: Grace is a big girl....she has some girth....no one is going to push her off her position....she too seemed to get very winded....she has a ways to go...but she'll get there....

Jill: I think she had 3 blocks....she made her shots....she seems to be really in the mix defensively in the middle this year....made all her free throws...

Laura S: she is a true floor leader....outstanding passing for the most part....head's in the game....big things coming this year with her in command..

Jessie L: but Jess is no slouch.....she didn't look like a freshman....very confident....fast...quick....she's another good one...

Kiara: as the years have gone by, K is gaining confidence in her shooting....I look forward to that this year....she certainly has a strong defense.

Zhane: played a quiet game but looked good in the shootaround...<P>

Chandler:....looked terrific.....she goes good with the fast pace of LS.....

Mac:....Mac is an amazing player.....IMO she is the team leader....she was out there directing, pointing, very verbal...very determined.....good defense....aggressive....

Emma S: played a quiet game, did hit a couple of threes'...

I think I covered them all...

but this is a very good team...with Mac and Elle in there, our defense has taken a huge step up....I just love the aggressive nature...

the blue team was down 10 points at one time...Mac and Elle both turned the defense up a notch and the whole game changed....

Thanks for the summary Sylean. I generally agree with you summary with some exceptions.

First, don't forget the dance team, they also look very good along with the cheerleaders and bomb squad. The band is significantly larger this year than last. It almost took up the entire section instead of just 1/2 to 2/3's of the section last year. Finally, thanks to the Kennel Club for having some students show up. While they still do not support the women adequately, at least 50 kids showed up today which is a big improvement from most games last year.

Grace - I agree fully. She is a larger girl, certainly got winded and looked a step slow against Jill, Zee and Kiara which is nothing to be ashamed of. If she gets some minutes she will work into shape. D-1 basketball is not the same as high school basketball.

I was very impressed with Jesse L. She looked very confident on the court, looked very confident and really had very few turnovers. Played very well but did not really take the ball to the hoop, so we will see how she improves in that area.

Jill was Jill with both her good and bad points. She is very good offensively hitting both inside, mid-range and 3-point shots. Needs to learn when there are 2-3 defenders between you and the hoop pass it out instead of taking it to the hoop. Committed way too many unnecessary fouls when she fell behind on defense. Basically the same as last year.

Kiara looked good and she, in general, staid within herself. I think last year she tried to take too much of the load after Elle got hurt and it hurt her game. Played good defense, good position for rebound and took short to mid-range jumpers. Was out running when the opportunity presented itself. She looked comfortable and played well.

"Z" is obviously the most athletic person on the floor. She runs hard, gets rebounds and is very comfortable putting up short and mid-range jumpers. Got beat several times inside when she overran her position and the ball handler simply turned inside of her for a lay-up. If she gets the time on the floor, she will make things happen.

Laura did not have a great game. She appeared to be pushing a little too hard. Several times she tried to force the ball into the middle when nobody was open leading to turnovers and promptly got her pocket picked several times during the game, including 2 in a row by Elle and Mac.

Mac looked very good on the 3-point shooting contest. She played hard, had a couple of steals, and hit a couple of shots. She played good defense. Solid game for her first game. She was helping direct traffic for her team. Looking forward to seeing her play in our offense.

Zhane kind of faded into the background. She was easily beaten by both Chandler and Jesse L when she tried to guard them and I only remember one or two shots she took and I don't think she had any points. Pretty forgettable game overall.

Chandler, did not do anything spectacular, but was solid. She showed that none of our shorter guards can guard her if she wants to shoot over them. A cross dribble and drop step and she can shoot over any of our guards and that includes Elle. She got a chance to play point for a short period in the 2nd half and may be the fastest point guard on the team. She did not run much of the offense but she easily brought the ball up on anybody who tried to guard her. She looks like she will be a big help in any spot #1 thru #3.

Emma S. was my player of the day. She look fantastic on the 3-point shooting contest which she only lost when Mac made her last shot at the buzzer. Her shot never looked better. She played defense on the other team's point (Jesse L.) not letting her get to lane at any time. As I pointed out several times last year, while Emma S's shooting was sporadic, she was the best defensive player on the team last year by far. She played good defense again today. The White team got a 10 point lead by playing inside out and letting Emma among others shoot from the outside. Late in the second quarter and for most of the half the White team tried to post up leaving the wings open but not getting the ball.

Elle showed what this team was missing last year. She went for rebounds when the rest of the team was running back down the floor. She was leading the fast break, she dove for loss balls. She interrupted the passing lanes making steals and knocking the ball away from the offense. She totally represented the David Pendergraff mode of basketball. While Mak was the vocal leader on the court, Elle was the leader by example.

The scrimmage was not too bad. Still tried to force the ball to the middle when it was not open. If Emma W was playing maybe this would work but we need to move the ball around more if the other team is sagging the middle. We need Elle to stay healthy to lead this team by example. We need Emma W in the middle if we want to pay inside out. The other players who would play post simply will not dominate the opposition the way Emma W. can. As we were shown last year, you can't teach 6'5". We need to move the ball quickly around the horn and get it to the open wings. We have lots of options at the wings. If someone is cold, bring in the next one. Finally, the points have to be willing to take it to the hoop to loosen up the key.

If Emma W. is healthy, I honestly think we are improved at every position and we have much more depth than we had last year even though this team is only 12 deep. How this team fairs will be determined by how healthy the team stays, if the team has team chemistry, if the team reduces the unforced errors and the coaches make the appropriate changes more quickly.

If we play up to our potential, we certainly have the talent to win the WCC. Only 3 more weeks to the first exhibition game.

ZagDad

OT-

WSU had their men's exhib yesterday. Football fans in town for a night game. Raining outside.

Per the Review, 75 people showed up.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    OT-

WSU had their men's exhib yesterday. Football fans in town for a night game. Raining outside.

Must have been giving away free hotdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Must have been giving away free hotdogs.
    That's just cold. Maybe accurate but still cold.

ZagDad

no, Jill had a good game....one of her fouls was her being aggressive trying to reach in front of the player to bat the ball away...yes, her offensive foul was not a good one....I counted 3 blocks....when you go for blocks, you're going foul sometimes...

and I don't mind if she chooses to go to the basket....maybe she's aggressive in this but how many years have we begged Shelby to go to the basket...how many times have we screamed for someone to take a shot....we now have players like JB who will go for the basket...

I think our pg situation is better this year....with this, comes confidence, and with confidence, I think shooters are willing to wait on their shots...up to a point.....

but remember our nemesis last year.....letting the clock run down to 2 seconds before someone took a shot....we can not do that this year....

I like Jessie too....could care less if she drove to the basket in her first scrimmage in front of fans....she did every thing else very well...

LS did great too....did she miss a pass or two...maybe...

the two that really pleased me with their attitudes alone were Elle and Mac....

I'm very impressed with what I saw..

Thanks all for your thoughts on Fan-Fest. We were not able to make it... so your thoughts on the players are interesting.

I think in some of our past discussions, we have talked about having the numbers and the speed to work a run and shoot offense. I enjoy a lineup that can do that... can run a play one time and when the opportunity is there, shift gears and go.

I'm glad they are taking it slow with Wolf... we will need her in the stretch.

I am also glad to hear about the senior leadership. All three have the ability to lead by example...

We also discussed the defense and having a shut down D. I really think that a great D leads to the offense that we want to see.

The only question I have now, is the coaching... Again, I want to see the team prepared and ready to play EVERY game. Long season, but it has to happen to have the results that is expected of a Zag Team.

For years, we had a better bench than the other team... and it made a difference. Without injury, I think we are there again.

Not long now.... Go Zags!!

Sylean:

Keep in mind a few things.

As far as Jill is concerned, the team played half a game by time with a running clock in the second half. Jill had five fouls by the beginning of the 4th quarter. You have to be on the court to help the team. I am not opposed to a foul under aggressive play, but you can't foul out. One foul is not the problem, five fouls in less than half a game is way too many.

If I insinuated that I was disappointed in Jesse not going to the hoop, that was not my intention. Emma S. guarded her for much of the first half and she had little chance to go to the hoop. It would have been the same with LS if Emma was guarding her. I thought it was interesting that LS was not guarding the opposing point guard on defense. That job fell to Emma S. for much of the game.

I agree that we are definitely better at point guard this year if for no other reason that we have at least what appears to be three (3) good point guards instead of two.

Letting the clock run down is not entirely on the point guard. She can only control the pace when they have the ball. If the 3, 4 or 5 hang onto the ball or delay shooting/passing/etc. the point is left out of the play. It was an entire team issue not paying attention to the play clock. Many times last year, the wings would get the ball with an open shot and they would force the ball into the middle. If the wings are open, they need to shoot it, not hang onto it or pass it.

Sorry, LS only shot 40% which is only O'k (you crucified Emma S for the same stats), she had 3 assists and 3 rebounds which is probably were she should be, but she had had six (6), yes six turnovers in less than half a game. This is not a great game let alone a good game. It really was not a good game at all. Like a quarterback, the point guard has to protect the ball. Saturday, LS did not and nobody knows this more than Laura.

I agree that Elle and Mak were certainly the team leaders. At least at fan fest, the lack of team chemistry that plagued last year's team was nowhere to be found. Of course, this dysfunction was not present at last year's fan fest either. Time will tell if the team has that licked or not.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    OT-

It was actually the men's and women's first official practice rather than an 'exhib' or 'fan fest' type event. However, I wouldn't expect much more than 75 brave souls whenever the 'Kent-fest' is this year. At this point the GU women should draw a lot better than the WSU men.

Since this is the women's basketball board though I probably would focus on how the WSU Women look this year. WSU looks for 3 straight in what has become a competitive regional series.

We are just about there folks. Cant wait.

Well, first off I was dissappointed in the crowd as it is shrinking the last couple of years but hard to criticise when we get multiple times the number other schools get for our scrimmage.

I agree with much that has been said.

Some questions...

Elle helps everywhere but she sure helps with team speed. I did not think we looked quick at all. We have some main peices that are not very fleet of foot and I worry how that plays out.

I think Mac will be a great fit in needed areas but what does her presence do to Emma S.

Laura was not very good in this artificial situation. A continued pattern of this play will lead to a tough situation.

Jessie did just fine out there. Imagine the pressure she was feeling getting in front of us for the first time.

Chandler was good as well. Once again, what will Mac and Chandlers floor time do to Emma S's time?

Jill was Jill. Hopefully her lack of speed does not get her in foul trouble regularly. her defense kept her off the floor at times last year and we need her out there.

Grace did not look ready for primetime but see Jessie above.

Emma S was, well, Emma S. Still not sold on her role on a winning WCC team.

Zhane was hard to notice for a second year with substantial minutes last season. I think she will see little floor time this year if the others live up to their hype.

Zykera is fun to watch. Still a little wild and a little lost at times but her athleticism is something we need out there.

I hope Kiara knocks it out big time this year. I will reserve comment until a larger body of work. She seemed very understated if that makes any sense at all. We need her this year.

Emma W. Nothing to worry about. She will be great...please dont rush her.

Team chemistry has to be better this year. All looks good based on saturday but ...the first scrimmage is a very easy situation to look good in. Hopefully our coaches handle it better than last year.

LadyZaga, welcome back. Hope you had a great summer.

We seem to be mostly on the same page. As far as my thoughts on you questions see below:

I don't know that Elle is "fleet of foot" but she sure is a pain in the behind to the opposing team. She has a knack for getting in the passing lanes for steals, goes for the rebounds when the four remaining ladyzags have already begun to run back to defend. She has fast enough hands to make steals from just about anybody. Finally she has the skills to handle the ball and sufficient speed to take it to the hope. In the short scrimmage on Saturday, I would say that this is the single biggest thing missing from our defense last year; someone to just create havoc and when Elle went down, nobody picked it up.

Mac has shown to have a very nice stroke every time I have seen her play. She also appears to have some relatively fast hands as she cleanly picked LS's pocket. Chandler was somewhat subdued until she got to play point and what little time she had, she looked comfortable. There really was not much offense run during the scrimmage, particularly in the second half, but both Jesse and Chandler look comfortable handling the ball and seemed to know where they were supposed to be. Signs certainly point up for Mac, Chandler and Jesse.

Grace looked like a freshman against seniors and scoring machines. She was not out of position, but she was a step behind in most cases and most certainly got winded. Another 3 weeks of conditioning may help that situation. I don't think she will be the first option to spell Emma W in a tight game, but against some easier opponents she should see some court time.

I fully agree on Jill and Zhane. Zhane did not hit a shot and was consistently beat off the dribble on Saturday. Not a good reflection on someone who definitely is fighting for playing time. If you don't hit your shots and don't play good defense, your time on the court is most likely limited.

Zykera has a ton of potential. I think she and Kiara are most likely to sub for Emma W. at the start of the season. She needs some seasoning but she brings a "take no sass" attitude to defense that this team is lacking. If she can refrain from making the little errors, she has the potential for great things.

I think when Elle went down Coach LF and Kiara tried to have Kiara pick up where Elle left off and this is just not Kiara's game. Keep her 10 feet and in to the basket and she has a great shot and is a very competent rebounder. Move her out to the 3-point line and her defense goes away and she has a hard time hitting that shot. However, did you notice she got one of the few fast break points on Saturday. Great hustle.

LS needs to take care of the ball. We had way to much of the freshman exuberance last year. It looked like she was trying oto hard and she got very frustrated at having her pocket pick several times.

You and I agree to disagree with Emma S. She hit 17 3-point attempts in a minute in the 3-point shoot contest. She was 2-2 from three in the scrimmage. She played great defense on Jesse L, Chandler and even Elle. Emma S. got big minutes because of her defense, it was her sporadic shooting which most people complained about. Yesterday, there was nothing to complain about, how that translates into the OOC and conference games we will see.

Only three weeks to our exhibition game and then we shall see.

ZagDad

Quick question. Does anybody know why Emma W. didn't suit up? Are they just trying to save her, is she still recovering, or does she have another injury? Great write ups. This was my first fan fest and I thought it was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emma W. is recovering from a significant knee injury that occurred a little less than a year ago.

No reason to rush her back into action. Let her take the next 3 weeks to heal and work her back into action slowly during the OOC games.

I bet you will see her play a fair amount in the Stanford game and in the Paradise Tournament games over Thanksgiving but probably not much before then.

I have not heard of any new injury or setbacks.

Welcome to the Ladies Side Virginia Zags Fan.

ZagDad

To understand where Emma W. probably is in her rehab, I look at Shaq Hill, a wide receiver with the Eags. Shaq was out all of last year with a knee injury and said it took him about 4 weeks into this season to finally feel like he was back to where he was prior to his injury.

I hope they give Emma some time in the preseason to get back up to speed and to feel comfortable. She needs to test the knee to get her confidence in it.

Good luck Emma.... Your teammates, I'm sure, are cheering for you.

Go Zags!!

she told me before the scrimmage that she hopes to be back for the start of the season.....I think the first couple of games she could even miss, if it meant becoming even stronger....

Thanks Sylean, for the first hand update.

The first two games are no brainers. If we want a chance to beat Standford she will need play. However she should only play if she is ready. It is the conference schedule which is most important.

ZagDad

Very true on Emma and how and when to use her ZagDad... But as important as the league games are, as we saw last year, we need to win as many as possible... To get into the NCAA tourney, with or without Emma, we need to win. I hope we can win without her and that when she is ready, we are just that much better.

Go Emma... Go Zags!!