Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Josh Perkins cited

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    I'm not sure I do.

Just my two cents.

It's often easy to think "nothing happened, no one got hurt, so it wasn't that bad." It wouldn't take much to have this story end differently. Do we give less "punishment" because he was lucky? Do we give more "punishment" because someone is unlucky and does cause damage/injury?

Just because no one ended up getting hurt, does 10 games sound too much?
    Under the same/similar circumstances, what if he happened to injure or kill someone, would 10 games still sound too much?

While under the influence, all it would take is to have someone crossing in a crosswalk or someone riding a bike and this could have been far more serious. While I am very glad nothing happened, I realize something easily bad could have easily happened and giving out less "punishment" because they completed the action with no one getting hurt is not the best answer.
    So you are saying that if he had hit and killed somebody, 10 games is about right?

I am being facetious. I know that you have a zero toerance policy for drinking. But realistically, if the intent is to teach a lesson and not to punish for the sake of punishing, what is the proper punishment?

I think (just my own thoughts) that JP is going through his own personal mortification, embarrassment, believing that he has let down family, team and self. How much piling on should there be?

Personally, I think 3 games minimum and 5 maximum, along with all the community service, self flagellation etc he will be going through. The idea is to reinforce the lesson he is being taught, not to drive the life out of him.
    It's not funny.

Hey Jazz do you remember when the starting first baseman for the Yankees , Wally Pip, missed a game and Lou Gehrig subbed for him ???

Gehrig started the next 2000 and plus games...... it is not always easy to get your starting job back....

Please bear with me. I have some experience and investment in this issue. As a state legislator, I sponsored 7 different bills on DUI. Six became law. To make a very long story short, all of them contained punishment, educational and rehabilitative
    provisions. Too complex to go into detail, but the second bill mandated one day in jail on conviction of a first DUI.

Although I don't drink or do drugs (and never did) alcoholism runs rampant through my families history. Killed my mom.

And my second DUI bill has put both my daughter and my grandson in jail!

Punishment comes in many forms, a total package if you will. Fines, jail time, big jumps in auto insurance rates, a record,
    embarrassment, even shame.

From what I've read on this thread, Josh's charge is a misdemeanor. But we shouldn't ever come to say it was "just" a
    misdemeanor because it had the potential of possibly becoming much worse.

One game? Three? Ten? I trust coach Few to make the right call, remembering that the punishment Josh will experience as a result of his poor decision making (the total package) will be with him for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    I'm not sure I do.

Just my two cents.

It's often easy to think "nothing happened, no one got hurt, so it wasn't that bad." It wouldn't take much to have this story end differently. Do we give less "punishment" because he was lucky? Do we give more "punishment" because someone is unlucky and does cause damage/injury?

Just because no one ended up getting hurt, does 10 games sound too much?
    Under the same/similar circumstances, what if he happened to injure or kill someone, would 10 games still sound too much?

While under the influence, all it would take is to have someone crossing in a crosswalk or someone riding a bike and this could have been far more serious. While I am very glad nothing happened, I realize something easily bad could have easily happened and giving out less "punishment" because they completed the action with no one getting hurt is not the best answer.
    While no one is downplaying the seriousness of the decision to drive (or "control his vehicle") while under the influence, it's absurd to punish him in accordance with the worst possible outcome of such a decision ... Should anyone who speeds, or otherwise drives recklessly, be treated similarly?

Punishments can't be based on hypotheticals, but on what actually happened. And what happened is that he was found in a running vehicle while he was intoxicated. Simply not the same thing as having been involved in a fatal wreck, no matter which way you spin it.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Hey Jazz do you remember when the starting first baseman for the Yankees , Wally Pip, missed a game and Lou Gehrig subbed for him ???

Gehrig started the next 2000 and plus games...... it is not always easy to get your starting job back....

Are you egging me on, dear friend?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    So you are saying that if he had hit and killed somebody, 10 games is about right?

I am being facetious. I know that you have a zero toerance policy for drinking. But realistically, if the intent is to teach a lesson and not to punish for the sake of punishing, what is the proper punishment?

I think (just my own thoughts) that JP is going through his own personal mortification, embarrassment, believing that he has let down family, team and self. How much piling on should there be?

Personally, I think 3 games minimum and 5 maximum, along with all the community service, self flagellation etc he will be going through. The idea is to reinforce the lesson he is being taught, not to drive the life out of him.
    I think 3-5 games sounds fairly reasonable to me. I could live with longer if that's what Few decides what's best for the team. I'd be disappointed if it's 2 or less.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    Please bear with me. I have some experience and investment in this issue. As a state legislator, I sponsored 7 different bills on DUI. Six became law. To make a very long story short, all of them contained punishment, educational and rehabilitative
    provisions. Too complex to go into detail, but the second bill mandated one day in jail on conviction of a first DUI.

Although I don't drink or do drugs (and never did) alcoholism runs rampant through my families history. Killed my mom.

And my second DUI bill has put both my daughter and my grandson in jail!

Punishment comes in many forms, a total package if you will. Fines, jail time, big jumps in auto insurance rates, a record,
    embarrassment, even shame.

From what I've read on this thread, Josh's charge is a misdemeanor. But we shouldn't ever come to say it was "just" a
    misdemeanor because it had the potential of possibly becoming much worse.

One game? Three? Ten? I trust coach Few to make the right call, remembering that the punishment Josh will experience as a result of his poor decision making (the total package) will be with him for a long, long time.
    well stated
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    My guess is a five game suspension.

I think it's key that we support this talented kid during this time with words of support. I'll go first: we are behind you josh. Keep your head high.
    WITHOUT a doubt, take the lesson and become better for it Josh.....I know and trust you will
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSilver View Post
    While no one is downplaying the seriousness of the decision to drive (or "control his vehicle") while under the influence, it's absurd to punish him in accordance with the worst possible outcome of such a decision ... Should anyone who speeds, or otherwise drives recklessly, be treated similarly?

Punishments can't be based on hypotheticals, but on what actually happened. And what happened is that he was found in a running vehicle while he was intoxicated. Simply not the same thing as having been involved in a fatal wreck, no matter which way you spin it.

...Which is why the actual charge matters. Sleeping it off in a running car is not nearly the same as intoxication manslaughter; nor should it carry the same punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZag View Post
    ...Which is why the actual charge matters. Sleeping it off in a running car is not nearly the same as intoxication manslaughter; nor should it carry the same punishment.
    By his own admission he HAD driven the car. So... not as if he is completely innocent of DUI here. The only thing is who knows how intoxicated he was when he drove the car.

Anything less than 5 games to me sends the wrong message to everyone. That being said, I wish nothing but the best for Josh and I hope this is a turning point in his life.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Are you egging me on, dear friend?
    I though you were a New Yorker and a Yankee fan....but the point is that as Satchel Paige said...." don't look behind you, something may be gaining "

Sports history is full of starters who lost their starting position when they missed a game or two....Tony Romo would be a good example.

One person's misfortune is another person's opportunity. Sabonis took that opportunity and turned it into a lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I though you were a New Yorker and a Yankee fan....but the point is that as Satchel Paige said...." don't look behind you, something may be gaining "

Sports history is full of starters who lost their starting position when they missed a game or two....Tony Romo would be a good example.

One person's misfortune is another person's opportunity. Sabonis took that opportunity and turned it into a lottery pick.
    Although it doesn't fit with this thread , because bartuff1 folded a great Satchel Paige quote into his comments, I'll
    stick another one in. I'm 74, but never come across it until about a year ago. Here it is;

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"

Like I said, I'm 54.

Is Josh currently and actively practicing with the team? Anyone know?

Most don't suspend players from practice, only games.

Curious...

Default More to come?

He said he had just dropped off some friends. If they were team mates, Coach Few is going to be pi$$ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    He said he had just dropped off some friends. If they were team mates, Coach Few is going to be pi$$ed.
    I'm pretty confident in saying that Coach Few is pretty darn disappointed and even more so if Josh did drive home teammates...let's pray teammates were not involved.

Anyone else think it is taking a long time for GU to notify fan base of what Josh's consequences are going to be?
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Maybe they are going to handle things internally and don't feel that they need to share it with the fanbase? I think Josh will do what he has to do and learn from the mistake. The school and Coach Few have shown that they will do what is right in the past so I see no reason to think they won't this time.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Anyone else think it is taking a long time for GU to notify fan base of what Josh's consequences are going to be?
    My GUESS is that either the Student Body and/or the City of Spokane need to act first; perhaps both. Few then handles the leftovers.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    My GUESS is that either the Student Body and/or the City of Spokane need to act first; perhaps both. Few then handles the leftovers.
    And what happens with "Student Life" most likely will not be made public.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    There is no obligation to the fan base to notify us of the consequences. This is a serious matter and I hope they take as much time as needed to get Josh the help he needs and determine the proper punishment for his actions. He made a mistake and if what everyone says about the young man is correct, he will learn from it and become a better man for it.

I don't know if anyone knows why olynyk was held out the first few games of his last season. It's the schools discretion to tell anyone anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    I don't know if anyone knows why olynyk was held out the first few games of his last season. It's the schools discretion to tell anyone anything.
    I was frankly amazed at that.

I made no attempt to find out, but it was surprising the media didn't find out .

I don't really care, but I didn't think there were any secrets in a social media world.

They should put the school in charge of the NSA, apparently they can't keep anything secret .

In the end, this is small change. Sit him for 5 games or so, then turn him loose. Everyone will feel better then. The courts, in a DUI situation have these schools requiring mandatory attendance. BUT he's not cited for DUI. Some penalty is warranted but 5 games should do it. No guidlines. I'm thinking he'll NEVER get near a beer for a long long time.
    We can win games without Josh. No doubt in my mind. I'm not worried in the slightest. Actually I'm not wringing my hands over this.

In my observation, there are typically 2 types of responses to an incident like this. The majority of people react to a charge like this as a personal disaster and horrible embarrassment and work very diligently to change their behavior going forward to avoid future lapses. A few people view charges like this as nothing more than an unavoidable downside risk of living a hard-partying lifestyle. Hopefully Perkins is in the first category and we can all put this behind us and focus on the season ahead.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    There is no obligation to the fan base to notify us of the consequences. This is a serious matter and I hope they take as much time as needed to get Josh the help he needs and determine the proper punishment for his actions. He made a mistake and if what everyone says about the young man is correct, he will learn from it and become a better man for it.
    I'm not interested in details just basic info like if he will miss any games and if so how many. Surely they will make that known.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1