Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Josh Perkins cited

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    #8, JP.
    Bouldin, Pargo, Pangos, and David Stockton passed him, but Raivio was higher on the list at the time he finished his GU career.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    What the officer explained to my niece was as follows:

If you are not in the driver's seat of the vehicle, you are not in "control" of the vehicle.

If you do not have keys to the car in the car or on your person, you are once again not in "control" of the vehicle.

Obviously, most of us would naturally have the keys to the car on our person, particularly if it was our car. However, Josh could have had the keys in his pocket and been sitting in the passenger seat or back seat of the car and not been in "control" of the vehicle.

Basically, the police assume that if you are in the driver's seat of the car and have the car keys it is a prelude to driving (not necessarily a bad assumption).

However, my knowledge is only 3rd-party as related by a pissed-off niece who was not entirely sober at the time of the ticket.

ZagDad

I think "Wisdom of a Pissed-Off Niece" would be a great blog, or book, title.

Going to put my 2 cents in here and leave it at that.

1) Bone-headed move on his part and I hope he learns from it.
    2) Few and the university will deal with this appropriately and likely far more severely than many major programs would.
    3) There is no excuse for drinking and driving. However, based on the accounts, we don't know if that is what actually happened. To make leaps into assuming it is the case isn't fair to anyone, most particularly to Josh.
    4) This is NOT anywhere on the level of Josh and Theo... not even remotely.
    5) This can serve as a lesson to Josh, his teammates, and to us all that this is a serious subject matter and that the combination of alcohol and a motor vehicle is never a good combination regardless of whether he was driving it, planning on driving it, or was just sitting in the car.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Going to put my 2 cents in here and leave it at that.

1) Bone-headed move on his part and I hope he learns from it.
    2) Few and the university will deal with this appropriately and likely far more severely than many major programs would.
    3) There is no excuse for drinking and driving. However, based on the accounts, we don't know if that is what actually happened. To make leaps into assuming it is the case isn't fair to anyone, most particularly to Josh.
    4) This is NOT anywhere on the level of Josh and Theo... not even remotely.
    5) This can serve as a lesson to Josh, his teammates, and to us all that this is a serious subject matter and that the combination of alcohol and a motor vehicle is never a good combination regardless of whether he was driving it, planning on driving it, or was just sitting in the car.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Bouldin, Pargo, Pangos, and David Stockton passed him, but Raivio was higher on the list at the time he finished his GU career.
    Gotcha' JP. Missed your point. Thanks.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Gotcha' JP. Missed your point. Thanks.
    No problem. I double checked just to make sure, but I think it's correct. I could also have been more clear to spare some confusion, so I apologize for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    But for me he will always be, to use the vernacular, a chucker (albeit a good one)
    Urban dictionary says:

"Top Definition
    Chucker

A really bad basketball player

Also, just a plain old idiot, anyone who just throws anything in the air and hopes it makes a goal."

A chucker, pretty much by definition, is someone who takes a lot of shots and shoots a bad percentage. Raivio was a career 40+ 3 pt shooter and closer to mid 40's on 2's (didn't do the exact math).

In his 4 years at GU, Raivio scored 1453 pts on 1005 fg attempts, or 1.45 points per fg attempt. That is a very good number for a small guard.

I consider chucker a derogatory term, and don't think it's appropriate for Raivio.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Urban dictionary says:

"Top Definition
    Chucker

A really bad basketball player

Also, just a plain old idiot, anyone who just throws anything in the air and hopes it makes a goal."

A chucker, pretty much by definition, is someone who takes a lot of shots and shoots a bad percentage. Raivio was a career 40+ 3 pt shooter and closer to mid 40's on 2's (didn't do the exact math).

In his 4 years at GU, Raivio scored 1453 pts on 1005 fg attempts, or 1.45 points per fg attempt. That is a very good number for a small guard.

I consider chucker a derogatory term, and don't think it's appropriate for Raivio.
    Not my definition at all. Best chucker all time was Maravich. Jimmer Fredette was too.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not my definition at all. Best chucker all time was Maravich. Jimmer Fredette was too.
    Chucker has a negative connotation for me.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Cmon Jazz, take it easy on one of my guys. #8 all time in assists @ GU.
    Raivio was a great player. Where does he rank in all-time minutes played? I couldn't find that info.

I never viewed him as a play maker either. I see two kinds of assists 1) Simply delivering the ball to the right guy as a part of the offense and 2) creating assists/opportunities. Not sure if that makes sense, but I think Raivio was good at the first one and not as proficient in the second. I would put someone like Blake Stepp as being excellent at the second category (seeing lob/alley-oop opportunities, seeing openings that no one else sees etc.).

Article from 2015

another opinion on what constitutes a "chucker".......doesn't seem that negative IMO

High-volume shot attempts, heavy percentage weight on contested shots + high level of early attempts in the shot clock + low-shooting percentage + ultimate green-light shooting mentality = a coveted spot on the Top 5 “Chuckers” in the NBA list.

This convo makes me miss Carlino...the epitome of chucker. He single-single-handedly won games for BYU opponents. It was equally painful yet entertaining to watch. Like that one kid you grew up with who never passed, took senseless/random shots, & had an excuse for every miss...

I always, personally, thought of a chucker as requiring the following elements:

1. A need to take a high volume of shots from range.
    2. The willingness to take a high volume from range even if it was a bad shot, or others were open.
    3. Willingness to take a high volume of shots from range out of the flow of the offense.
    4. A willingness to take a high volume of shots from range with a tendency to get very hot and very cold.
    5. A cold streak doesn't impact the willingness to take a high volume of shots from range.

Under that definition, "Jimmer" was a chucker, and one that won more games than he lost - because he made so many of those "no no no - yes!" shots. Carlino, the opposite, he certainly got hot and won them some games, but seemingly lost way more.

I don't recall Ravio's play enough and whether he qualifies for the high volume even if cold. I cannot remember much behind his ability to draw fouls that became automatic 2 pts.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

People make mistakes. I know I was and am not perfect. Hopefully he learns the law if true he wasn't driving and resting. I didn't.
    Love the zags for life

My goodness. Devolved into a discussion of D-Rav being a 'chucker'? He was fearless. Attacked the rim, hit from deep. GREAT FT shooter.

I hope Josh does OK with the situation and the team, students and community show some compassion. Hope he learns something. Hope he feels Spokane is still a home for him.

What does chuckers and the other stuff have to do with Perkins being cited????
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    What does chuckers and the other stuff have to do with Perkins being cited????
    Nothing. absolutely nothing.

But .... I'd far prefer this type of extraneous thought/ non topical posts on this type of thread vs a congratulations thread when a kid has committed to Gonzaga. My biggest pet peeve is when those threads (which are possibly cherished and saved by the PSA's family) devolves into a former (or current) player bashing session. Drives me nuts.

But ... as long as I'm weighing in here again .... I'll wish Josh Perkins nothing but the best as he makes his way through the ramifications of his situation.

I can only imagine what Josh is going through....mistakes are made all the time...we are human...

for me the key is does he step forward, own the mistake, take account for it and learn from it and I have seen NOTHING that would indicate he will not do this.......lesson learned life moves on

I look forward to seeing him put this behind him, getting back focused to school work and basketball as I was hoping and expecting big steps in progress for him this year......

thoughts and prayers for the young man
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Raivio was a great player. Where does he rank in all-time minutes played? I couldn't find that info.

I never viewed him as a play maker either. I see two kinds of assists 1) Simply delivering the ball to the right guy as a part of the offense and 2) creating assists/opportunities. Not sure if that makes sense, but I think Raivio was good at the first one and not as proficient in the second. I would put someone like Blake Stepp as being excellent at the second category (seeing lob/alley-oop opportunities, seeing openings that no one else sees etc.).
    I'm quoting Jake but this is more general and not really specific to his post:

His sophomore season Raivio showed he was a good point guard, both in efficient scoring and distributing the ball. I think, sometimes we give a point guard more credit for drives into the teeth of the defense that creates passing lanes and scoring opportunities by forcing a team to have guys out of position to stop penetration. Raivio created passing lanes and scoring opportunities by having an incredibly quick release and high percentage shooter from range. He stretched the defense and forced them to know where he was at all times.

And he wasn't a "chucker" at least in the way I've always heard it used. I think Carlino was. Carlino took between 24.2% and 29% of his teams shots while he was on the floor. Raivio took 13.2, 16.9, 18.5 and then 24.3 as a senior. Raivio's most prolific year for taking shots was the equal of Carlino's most reserved year. Also, Carlino had an offensive efficiency rating that ranged from a dismal 95.8 to a mediocre 107.2. Raivio's ranged from 115.2 to an incredible 124.7. Raivio shot nearly 42% from three point range for his career. Carlino ha a great shooting season at Marquette, but prior to that shot 34% from three point.

Raivio had a quick release and was willing to shoot whenever he found himself open, but mostly played within the system and took good shots.

Default Back to it . . .

before we got distracted and went into a fascinating examination of what is and who be a chucker, we were talking about the title of this thread. Have there been any reports as far as status of matters/next steps. Court process? Dates? Any acknowledgement that Athletic Dep't or the University (or both) is/are doing a review? Is JP practicing?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Nothing. absolutely nothing.

But .... I'd far prefer this type of extraneous thought/ non topical posts on this type of thread vs a congratulations thread when a kid has committed to Gonzaga. My biggest pet peeve is when those threads (which are possibly cherished and saved by the PSA's family) devolves into a former (or current) player bashing session. Drives me nuts.

But ... as long as I'm weighing in here again .... I'll wish Josh Perkins nothing but the best as he makes his way through the ramifications of his situation.
    I had never thought of the derailments in light of a congratulatory thread GZ. Probably is something that is cherished by the player/family & friends.

As I am as guilty as anyone here of going off the rails, you have my permission to tell me to "pull my head out of my butt." And though it's been way up there for years, I'll do my darnedest.

Back to Josh. I really think this incident will be a net positive for Josh & the team. They know they have the talent this year to do something special & if some of the new guys didn't realize it before, they now live & work in the fishbowl that is Gonzaga Basketball. Josh seems like a great kid & I'm sure he'll be much the better person coming out the other end.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Josh will be much better now that he has Nigel and Mathews. He really was not an allstar last year but for a frosh, 10 ppg and 4 assists is gooenough. The probem last year was his ball handling which improved toward the end of the season . Also, he seemed kind of disinterested in some games.
    I think this "citation" will evaporate. It won't mean anything but a big scare for Josh. Along the way, he'll learn the ins and outs and complications of being near an ignition switch when you've had some beers.

Best wishes to him. I do think we have 3 dandies out front. SIlas is still a question mark. If Silas could remain consistent in his play, he'd be right up there with the other three. Talented kid who seems to get lost in games. Maturation will come. Anyway, this thread has drifted. It's drifted to an "ewwwww". Norvell is wildly talented too. I hate to see a kid with his talent sit for a year. Few's got his work cut out for him to make these talented players fit together. i hope he does. It's still my opinion that we have FF talent. It's just so obvious when you see these kids work together.
    Aboiut two weeks till the exhibition. Then we get serious. We've had a pretty decent and quiet board since April or so. I hope we continue when the season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    before we got distracted and went into a fascinating examination of what is and who be a chucker, we were talking about the title of this thread. Have there been any reports as far as status of matters/next steps. Court process? Dates? Any acknowledgement that Athletic Dep't or the University (or both) is/are doing a review? Is JP practicing?
    Educated guess is deferment. Stays out if criminal charges for year and it will be dismissed
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default Not that simple

A Deferred Prosecution program in WA is a 2 year program and has a lot of costs. It also requires a finding that the applicant has a serious substance problem. Not sure that is the best route for him. Hopefully the blood readings are low enough to get the charge reduced to First Degree Neg Driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Educated guess is deferment. Stays out if criminal charges for year and it will be dismissed
    I think "deferral" is unlikely. Under Washington law a person may petition the court for a deferred finding on certain misdemeanor crimes, including DUI and Physical Control. Under RCW 10.05 you can have the charge dismissed if you suffer from alcohol or drug addiction and you obtain an assessment that states the you would benefit from treatment. The program requires you complete a two year treatment program, refrain from consuming any alcohol and be under court supervision for five years. It's a rare outcome for first time offenders but certainly something to consider for people who are truly alcoholics or addicted to drugs.

I don't pretend to know anything about Josh or whether he's got an alcohol or drug problem but it would seem unlikely.

I think a more likely scenario is the case is plead down from the gross-misdemeanor crime of PC to the simple misdemeanor crime of Negligent Driving First degree. The latter crime does not carry any mandatory jail time.

Time will tell. Without knowing any of the facts, this is all conjecture.

Hoping this is all resolved quickly and only a minor footnote to Josh' spectacular college career.

GO ZAGS