Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Perkins cited

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I'm not impressed with the often tendered excuse "college kids do stupid stuff." Admittedly, students "do stupid stuff" but there should be no going easy on Josh. As noted above, he's 21, so he is not a kid, he is a man. There are many men and women in uniform younger than Josh who are put in life and death situations, so his age should not be an excuse. I am sure he is well aware of his responsibility to represent the University in an acceptable manner, and in this one instance has failed that responsibility. I am not suggesting he be thrown under the bus, but he needs to fully accept responsibility for his action in this case and willingly accept whatever consequence the coaching staff/University deem appropriate. And, yes, the consequence needs to be something more substantial than harsh language (i.e., severe counseling).
    I did worse. I never got caught and I regret doing it. At the time I didn't understand that it was really serious. I feel for these guys. Some people grow up under a narrative that you can never be around a car with any amount of alcohol. Others like me grew up with parents actively drinking while driving. It really changes perspectives. It took me some time to realize what was okay and what wasn't. I don't want to throw any kid under the bus, especially if they were "sleeping it off" rather than actually driving. I agree that he should face legitimate punishments and learn from it though.

Few's statement is a little wishy washy, imo. Assume it's a placeholder comment and when the details are available he will be stronger in terms of condemning the behavior, meting out punishment and hoping for a good outcome.

Hitting the national press. He was arrested not only cited.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-gonzaga-guard

As Few seems to be a bit (understatedly) of a martinet, I trust that he will not make an inappropriately lenient decision for both Josh as a Student/Athlete, the BB team/program in general, as well as the University.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Bad choice by Josh and I'm sure there is disappointment from all angles including Josh and his family. He will pay for this in embarrassment and any disciplinary actions. And most importantly needs to learn from this and move on in a positive direction. You cannot give a kid a 'pass' on this but we should also not bury him.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Physical control of a vehicle? Is that otherwise known as driving or is it something totally different? Seems like odd language.

GU might not be the only one. Nothing substantiated so far, just rumors swirling around, but Arizona might possibly get hit by a suspension to one of their key players.
    Statute

RCW 46.61.504

Physical control of vehicle under the influence.

(1) A person is guilty of being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug if the person has actual physical control of a vehicle within this state:

(a) And the person has, within two hours after being in actual physical control of the vehicle, an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher as shown by analysis of the person's breath or blood made under RCW 46.61.506; or

(b) The person has, within two hours after being in actual physical control of a vehicle, a THC concentration of 5.00 or higher as shown by analysis of the person's blood made under RCW 46.61.506; or

(c) While the person is under the influence of or affected by intoxicating liquor or any drug; or

(d) While the person is under the combined influence of or affected by intoxicating liquor and any drug
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Josh H totally turned his life around after his arrest At senior night he cried and thanked everyone for the second chance. Josh P is a good kid but 21 year olds are still kids and do stupid things. Hopefully he will face the consequences and do whatever he needs to redeem himself.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    I did stupid stuff in college, too. So I'm in no position to criticize.
    +1

We got caught doing the same thing....car was parked....we were all under 21 except for the guy who bought the beer....he was on the basketball team and could have been charged with contributing or something ....what happened?

Nothing....we had to go to court, got a lecture from the judge....nothing in the media...the player went on to have a very good career ......

Different time....no one outside of Spokane knew what Gun ZA ga was...

I'd bet the vast majority of us have done stuff worse that that. I'm just glad no one was hurt. Josh will recover from this, he's a good person.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

He admitted he was getting ready to drive when the cops rolled up on them. Go get wasted in your room/house, or, hoof it. Drive a car under the influence....you're a dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pargo the Destroyer View Post
    He admitted he was getting ready to drive when the cops rolled up on them. Go get wasted in your room/house, or, hoof it. Drive a car under the influence....you're a dumbass.
    Oh I didn' t see that. Thought he was just sitting/resting in the car.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by Pargo the Destroyer View Post
    where did he say that? I didn't see it either.
    It's not funny.

Default Variables

Mandatory fines and assessments for a DUI are a minimum of $1100. Administrative suspension of drivers's license depends on if he refused breath test or not and what his alcohol level reading registered. Typically if his blood alcohol was not much more than the .08 minimum he might get a reduction to First Degree Neg Driving if this is a first offense. Probation for 2 years and requirement to get substance abuse eval and treatment.

He won't be needing a car for awhile.

I would not be surprised if Few suspends him for 3 -5 games.

This is not even comparable to the Heytvelt situation. The severity of "crimes" were very different, but also the extent of the press coverage. As of 9:10pm PT, there isn't one word about this at espn.com. The Heytvelt arrest was a national news story within hours.

Not saying that what he did was excusable in anyway. But this isn't JH 2.0. Also, Perkins doesn't have, shall we say, a "track record." It's way more surprising me to me than the JH arrest. JP is a deeply religious kid who I am sure is deeply shameful of his behavior and the embarrassment he has caused to himself, his family and his program.

Seattle Times nothing new

Gonzaga and Mark Few will deal with this in the correct way. I see Mark Few as someone who likes to help his players become better men. I agree with CDC that it does not seem anything like Josh H case. I feel bad for Josh, but I'm also glad he will now have to deal with this NOW. i HAVE confidence in him and his team in dealing with this. There are no mistakes in God's world.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    where did he say that? I didn't see it either.
    http://www.khq.com/story/33396193/go...guard-arrested

Fwiw, no judgement from me, nobody will disagree this was a showing of extremely poor judgement. He seems like a good guy who made a dumb choice. Nobody can say they havent at some point in their life. He will learn from this and grow.

A friend got a DUI sitting in his Expedition in his own driveway in Yakima. He was talking on his cell phone and did not drive at all that evening. It stuck because he had the keys in the ignition and the motor was running (winter time duh). It was a business call and he went out to the car for a quiet place to talk.

Speaking of a time long past, my underage buddies and I were out partying in a car and pulled over in a park to drink beer. A city cop knocked on the window and told us to go home after shining a flashlight in each of our faces. We were sh**faced, We went home...end of story. Different standards today.
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

I got so drunk at Jack and Dans once I walked all the way up Hamiltion until I got under the big red "S" to figure out I wasn't walking down Sharp. I think I passed out in somebody's bushes on Sinto trying to get back to my apartment. Not the best choice.

Josh made a bad call, and he will pay the price. This act in and of itself doesn't make him a bad person.

Want to rail on Josh? Think he is a bad person? There has been far worse behavior from a member of the ball club. Few and inhad a nice short discussion about it.

I remember puking beer and popcorn after winning my race at our conference championship. More than once I remember hanging with our coaches at the local watering hole before and after meets. These kids today are under a magnifying glass, it is a wonder that more student athletes aren't suspended for one thing or another.
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Any lawyer will tell you that the details...what lawyers sometimes call the fact pattern of a case, are everything in these situations. And we still don't know enough of the details. At first glance, this situation appears to be much less significant than the Heytvelt situation.

Were there positive drug tests, or 'just' alcohol? (Not trying to minimize alcohol and driving, but many drugs put things in different class). If 'just' alcohol, what were the readings? A .08 is about a half of a beer from the cops saying 'have a good night' and sending him on his way. Higher readings get more serious. What were the circumstances of his being out that late? Having a few beers and watching a movie with friends, or something more. Lots of questions, and at this point we don't know, and frankly, we don't need to know. What we need to do is hope for the least damaging details and support him no matter what.

Both the criminal penalties, and GU's response will conform to these details, and depend on how Josh responds. Early reports of Josh's co-operation with the police and Few's comments of him co-operating with the University 'process' are all good signs. If the facts turn out to be minimal (i.e. a few beers with friends and a late night movie - or similar innocuous activity) that resulted in borderline alcohol levels where he didn't feel very impaired and made a poor judgment; then I would expect this will be resolved with a brief suspension, some counseling and moving on. Lets hope that's the case.

As a final note, advice to all in anything like this situation ...."keep your mouth shut". At the moment everyone thinks they can make it better by saying something. Don't do it !!! Mentioning he was getting prepared to drive might have been the difference in being told to sleep it off, and given advice not to drive; and actually getting arrested. We probably won't ever know the mind of the cops at the moment, but they make these judgment calls every shift, and without that admission, their judgment might have been different.
    Last edited by 3XaZag; 10-15-2016 at 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling...

Quote Originally Posted by 3XaZag View Post
    Any lawyer will tell you that the details...what lawyers sometimes call the fact pattern of a case, are everything in these situations. And we still don't know enough of the details. At first glance, this situation appears to be much less significant than the Heytvelt situation.

Were their positive drug tests, or 'just' alcohol? (Not trying to minimize alcohol and driving, but many drugs put things in different class). If 'just' alcohol, what were the readings? A .08 is about a half of a beer from the cops saying 'have a good night' and sending him on his way. Higher readings get more serious. What were the circumstances of his being out that late? Having a few beers and watching a movie with friends, or something more. Lots of questions, and at this point we don't know, and frankly, we don't need to know. What we need to do is hope for the least damaging details and support him no matter what.

Both the criminal penalties, and GU's response will conform to these details, and depend on how Josh responds. Early reports of Josh's co-operation with the police and Few's comments of him co-operating with the University 'process' are all good signs. If the facts turn out to be minimal (i.e. a few beers with friends and a late night movie (or similar innocuous activity) that resulted in borderline alcohol levels where he didn't feel very impaired and made a poor judgment; then I would expect this will be resolved with a brief suspension, some counseling and moving on. Lets hope that's the case.

As a final note, advice to all in anything like this situation ...."keep your mouth shut". At the moment everyone thinks they can make it better by saying something. Don't do it !!! Mentioning he was getting prepared to drive might have been the difference in being told to sleep it off, and given advice not to drive; and actually getting arrested. We probably won't ever know the mind of the cops at the moment, but they make these judgment calls every shift, and without that admission, their judgment might have been different.
    Best advice from 3 X. When it comes to this type of thing, the constables are not your friends.
    This is a careless thing. Not much to see. Wish it hadn't happened but I can think of far worse. Josh will grow up a bit. Doubt he'll get near this type of thing again.

Too many people die in drunken driving accidents. Being first on the scene of a multiple fatality drunken driving accident years ago still seems like it was much more recent. I'm so glad Josh wasn't driving. Drinking & driving is a very serious issue. The consequences of such can change lives forever. I'm not bringing this up to propose harsh penalties for Josh. Just want to say something for those who no longer have a voice in these matters.
    Last edited by Zagger; 10-15-2016 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Changed "force" to "voice" - Voice recognition!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagger View Post
    Too many people die in drunken driving accidents. Being first on the scene of a multiple fatality drunken driving accident years ago still seems like it was much more recent. I'm so glad Josh wasn't driving. Drinking & driving is a very serious issue. The consequences of such can change lives forever. I'm not bringing this up to propose harsh penalties for Josh. Just want to say something for those who no longer have a force in these matters.
    Thank you, Zagger. And MADD and SADD. Finally someone with the right perspective. All this "boy was I drunk last night," "we have all done a whole lot worse, lemme tell ya," comments on this thread are nothing more than testiosterone-fueled bleating that adds nothing to the discourse on a very important matter. He did the wrong thing. It was WRONG, and if this holds up as reported he should be punished, perhaps by the university but certainly by Few. Three to 5 games is a good guess, as most have said. My concern is that in his first statement, admittedly out of the box with no context, Few has rhetorically laid down some guidelines that may augur no meaningful punishment at all. Just saying. He handled the Josh thing well; others not much, such as KO's mysterious suspension at the start of his last year. A lot of eyes are on the coach......

I'm sort of down the middle on this one...agree with Jazz this is not an incident to be quickly brushed aside with a "oh, boys will be boys...I did stupid things in college too" attitude. On the other hand, having recently read a great Sports Illustrated article about the Dallas Cowboys' rookie quarterback Dak Prescott, who had a DUI in college that many believe caused him to drop in the draft, I would hope we can all refrain from being overly critical of this young man for making a single poor decision. People make mistakes, people learn from them and life goes on...they may even become better people/professionals as a result like the Dallas Cowboys starting QB.

It may prove to be a turning point in his life in ways we will never really know. I personally hope Coach Few comes down on the heavy side (minimum 3 game suspension, which means missing ESPN2 Season Tip-off game vs San Diego Stage). This would send a message to this team with so many youngsters and new players that accountability is real here in Spokane and, frankly, also reward players like Silas Melson and Bryan Alberts (guys who have sacrificed a lot for the TEAM and are not making dumb, selfish decisions) with playing time on the big ESPN stage.

Josh is tough....and he can handle some tough Few love on this one. Once he accepts whatever disciplinary action is taken like a man, JP can return to the spotlight and begin earning back his teammates/fans respect and affection.

Go Josh...I am rooting for you!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1