Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Perkins cited

Default Josh Perkins cited

On suspicion of "physical control" of a vehicle while under the influence. Spokesman story here.

The benefit of getting pulled over in spokane vs cheney

Hoo boy ....

Default Right before the season?

No time is rational, yet c'mon man…so much on the line. Community role model, starting guard at Gonzaga, season just about to begin, potentially being drafted, etc.

Sunday morning at 4am?? Doesn't he have class and/or practice on Monday?

Extremely poor judgement and decision making on his part. Hope he learns from it, is remorseful, and receives the appropriate punishment -- have to suspect a suspension of some kind.

Dumb move.

You are better than this Josh. Your Dad knows, the school knows, and I hope to God you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    No time is rational, yet c'mon man…so much on the line. Community role model, starting guard at Gonzaga, season just about to begin, potentially being drafted, etc.

Sunday morning at 4am?? Doesn't he have class and/or practice on Monday?

Extremely poor judgement and decision making on his part. Hope he learns from it, is remorseful, and receives the appropriate punishment -- have to suspect a suspension of some kind.

Dumb move.

You are better than this Josh. Your Dad knows, the school knows, and I hope to God you know it.
    I did stupid stuff in college, too. So I'm in no position to criticize.

He's a good kid, he'll learn from this. If he gets in trouble again then I'll start to worry

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Yep prepare yourself for the holier than thou posts to follow.
    Bottom line dumb move and learn from it. Thankful nobody was hurt.

Ugg, heytvelt 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    So did I. And I wish some would have criticized my choices more, or shared disappointment in them, or expected more from me.

Also, I wasn't a local Celebrity during my time at GU or Spokane. I didn't start on the bball team, nor receive a full-ride schollie as a GU student, or at 4am on Sunday, 3 hrs before class or practice.

Josh should be held to a higher standard, especially this time of year. This is NOT off-season. If he can't resist driving while clearly influenced under something, then this kind of crap can wait til Summer, preferable never.

Had to look up his age...good thing he's 21.

Wasn't Heytvelt doing drugs?

Few's comments:

Darnay Tripp on Twitter: "Here is Mark Few's statement on Josh Perkins' arrest early Sunday for physical control of a vehicle under the influence. https://t.co/yRIzmmiqBK" (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2dQRRwm

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by nish_mode View Post
    Had to look up his age...good thing he's 21.

Wasn't Heytvelt doing drugs?
    Technically, we do not know if Josh was under influence of drugs or alcohol. Same charge as long as its not controlled substance. Pain pills, Marijuana, Alcohol all carry same charge in WA.

If marijuana, this could make national sports news based on implications.

I do speculate a suspension will be in order, yet I'm sure Coach Few, along with the school will handle this internally. Also, the WCC could step in and force a move as well if not satisfied with ruling.

Time will tell…yet doubt Perkins is suited up Game 1.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Few's comments:

Darnay Tripp on Twitter: "Here is Mark Few's statement on Josh Perkins' arrest early Sunday for physical control of a vehicle under the influence. https://t.co/yRIzmmiqBK" (via http://ble.ac/teamstream-) http://teamstre.am/2dQRRwm

I see it in the spokesman article, too. Viewing and posting slowly from Kuwait.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I've worried some about all the publicity going to some players heads. It happens...can make some feel impervious to
    to the strictures of rules and the obligations of responsibility. I hope, as raise the zag posted, Josh takes this infraction
    seriously, makes amends and apologizes to his teammates and the ZAG community. He's already shown us that he's a good kid, so I have every confidence that he will. A big mistake but not one he can't learn from and become an even better person.

Most people do stupid stuff in college. That doesn't mean it cant' be criticized. There is a difference between making broad sweeping judgments about a person's overall character and criticizing the lack of judgment and stupidity in a particular decision. I have a sibling that got a DUI. He's a good guy. I didn't abandon him. He learned from his poor choice, but he made a dumb, poor, decision. The fact that those kind of decisions are generally more concentrated in our youth, doesn't make them dumb, poor decisions. Hopefully Perkins is appropriately punished, allowed to learn from this, and doesn't do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Most people do stupid stuff in college. That doesn't mean it cant' be criticized. There is a difference between making broad sweeping judgments about a person's overall character and criticizing the lack of judgment and stupidity in a particular decision. I have a sibling that got a DUI. He's a good guy. I didn't abandon him. He learned from his poor choice, but he made a dumb, poor, decision. The fact that those kind of decisions are generally more concentrated in our youth, doesn't make them dumb, poor decisions. Hopefully Perkins is appropriately punished, allowed to learn from this, and doesn't do it again.
    I'm not impressed with the often tendered excuse "college kids do stupid stuff." Admittedly, students "do stupid stuff" but there should be no going easy on Josh. As noted above, he's 21, so he is not a kid, he is a man. There are many men and women in uniform younger than Josh who are put in life and death situations, so his age should not be an excuse. I am sure he is well aware of his responsibility to represent the University in an acceptable manner, and in this one instance has failed that responsibility. I am not suggesting he be thrown under the bus, but he needs to fully accept responsibility for his action in this case and willingly accept whatever consequence the coaching staff/University deem appropriate. And, yes, the consequence needs to be something more substantial than harsh language (i.e., severe counseling).

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Also, I wasn't a local Celebrity during my time at GU or Spokane. I didn't start on the bball team, nor receive a full-ride schollie as a GU student, or at 4am on Sunday, 3 hrs before class or practice.
    This was early Sunday morning, so after a late Saturday night. I'm guessing he had no class or practice on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    The benefit of getting pulled over in spokane vs cheney
    Or Pullman?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Physical control of a vehicle? Is that otherwise known as driving or is it something totally different? Seems like odd language.

GU might not be the only one. Nothing substantiated so far, just rumors swirling around, but Arizona might possibly get hit by a suspension to one of their key players.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Physical control of a vehicle? Is that otherwise known as driving or is it something totally different? Seems like odd language.

GU might not be the only one. Nothing substantiated so far, just rumors swirling around, but Arizona might possibly get hit by a suspension to one of their key players.
    There are lawyers who are members here who know this better than I, but (if I understand it correctly) generally it means you're intoxicated and in your car, but not driving. So, if you're sleeping one off in your car, AND have the keys with you, you could be cited for physical control.

Well dang. Some would call it a "learning experience" -- all about how he handles it and takes care of what the school and program decides.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post

It's a misdemeanor. Again, advantage for a GU player to be pulled over in spokane vs cheney, or as noted above, in Pullman.

Different burden of proof ...same penalty

link

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighZag View Post
    This was early Sunday morning, so after a late Saturday night. I'm guessing he had no class or practice on Sunday.
    Do not let facts like what day it actually was get in the way of a snap judgement. You lose your moral superiority if you worry about details.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I'm not impressed with the often tendered excuse "college kids do stupid stuff." Admittedly, students "do stupid stuff" but there should be no going easy on Josh. As noted above, he's 21, so he is not a kid, he is a man. There are many men and women in uniform younger than Josh who are put in life and death situations, so his age should not be an excuse. I am sure he is well aware of his responsibility to represent the University in an acceptable manner, and in this one instance has failed that responsibility. I am not suggesting he be thrown under the bus, but he needs to fully accept responsibility for his action in this case and willingly accept whatever consequence the coaching staff/University deem appropriate. And, yes, the consequence needs to be something more substantial than harsh language (i.e., severe counseling).
    Most importantly, there is a difference between doign something stupid, and doing something stupid involving alcohol or drugs and motor vehicles.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V