Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ken Bone - Volunteer Assistant Coach

Default Doug Wojcik

Is Doug Wojcik (former Tulsa Head Coach) still a volunteer coach with GU this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    Is Doug Wojcik (former Tulsa Head Coach) still a volunteer coach with GU this year?
    I'm pretty sure he had a paid position, and was not a volunteer. He is still listed as "special Assistant to the head Coach".
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Default Additional information

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    That is amazing....I wonder why ? He might be here to not only teach, but to learn what it is that Few and Associates do to have such success ...

In any case he is a great addition to the program...
    sdcoug seems to have knowledge about Coach Bone's rationale ...

Actually you are allowed to participate fully in practices & work with the players, and you're allowed to participate in official (on campus) visits with recruits as well. Just not off-campus recruiting or working with any athlete who doesn't live within the area. If he wasn't a volunteer & was an extra hired hand he wouldn't be able to work with players, as that would apply towards to the # of paid assistants on staff & you're limited on how many can & can't participate in a paid capacity.
    I'm not sure exactly what role he'll play, but I do know he'll be working with the players & hanging around the program in general, and attending all (or at least most) games. That's a nice bonus for Few - extra coaching & insights w/out paying a dime (other than paying for his travel on road trips when he goes), and a good gig for Ken. Fairly close to home.
    I understand he went for 1 HC & 1 AC gig & didn't get either - they went with "name" and "old friend" instead, respectively, and he didn't want to take anything outside of the NW (i.e. easy travel to Missoula) until his daughter graduates this year. So really narrowed his options. Next year I'm sure he'll open that up.
    http://www.scout.com/college/washing...a/ms/186927936

I always liked/respected him.

If he's a great X-Os guy, that might really add something that gets returns long into the future.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Anybody who is worried about Bone's ties to Romar...he was head coach at WSU after that, where he was competing directly against Romar. He had a fairly brief stint at UW during a coaching career that has taken him several places. Nothing to worry about.

I think this is great for GU. He was successful everywhere he's been...except Pullman. But it's hard to win there. He certainly did better than Ernie Kent has managed so far. Tony Bennett is the only coach who has really won much of anything at WSU for the last several decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he had a paid position, and was not a volunteer. He is still listed as "special Assistant to the head Coach".
    Doesn't appear that Doug Wojcik is still working at Gonzaga. He was removed from the Gonzaga basketball roster page a couple days after your post

In this article from the Michigan State athletics website regarding Izzo's induction into the Hall of Fame, Wojcik was there in attendance and claimed that he is "now pursuing opportunities outside of coaching"

I assume Wojick and his family moved to the Indiana/Illinois area. His son, Paxson, now plays for one of the top high school programs in the country at La Lumiere in La Porte, Indiana and he's received a solid review from Eric Bossi at Rivals. Paxson & his younger brother Denham took an unofficial visit to Notre Dame over the weekend, along with 2018 recruit Riley Battin