Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016/17 schedule

Default 2016/17 schedule

When will this season's schedule be out or is it out and I missed it?
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Thanks Hondo, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Looks like a good break in schedule for the Zags to get their bearings and hopefully get interchangeable parts working at a high rate of efficiency. I think AZ is, for now at least, our first ranked opponent. Not taking anyone lightly before AZ and we should be set to go. "Get Ready, Cause Here We Come!"

No calendar download?

Top 25 Non-Conference Games ---- Zags with 2 in the top 25

13. Arizona vs. Gonzaga – Naismith Memorial HOF Game (Los Angeles) – Dec. 3 (6:30 p.m.): Two West Coast powers face off in L.A. a month into the season with perhaps a seed line at stake. Gonzaga will likely open the season in the top-15 on the strength of getting senior center Przmek Karnowski back and the Nigel Williams-Goss eligible after transferring from Washington.

15. Washington at Gonzaga – Dec. 7 (11 p.m.): The Huskies aren’t a lock to make the NCAA tournament this year, but this game will still be a must-watch thanks to Gonzaga’s strength, Markelle Fultz’s talent and it being an in-state rivalry game played on campus. Don’t underestimate how much these two fanbases dislike each other.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...ference-games/

Here is the link. It says 2015-2016, but it really is 2016-2017. You subscribe and the times will be updated when they are finalized.

http://www.gozags.com/multimedia/dow...schedules.html

Quote Originally Posted by joelndayna View Post
    Here is the link. It says 2015-2016, but it really is 2016-2017. You subscribe and the times will be updated when they are finalized.

http://www.gozags.com/multimedia/dow...schedules.html
    Thanks! I deleted the calendar last summer during an attempt to clean up my tablet. I just tried the link and it it failed, but I can wait until the times are settled.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Top 25 Non-Conference Games ---- Zags with 2 in the top 25

13. Arizona vs. Gonzaga – Naismith Memorial HOF Game (Los Angeles) – Dec. 3 (6:30 p.m.): Two West Coast powers face off in L.A. a month into the season with perhaps a seed line at stake. Gonzaga will likely open the season in the top-15 on the strength of getting senior center Przmek Karnowski back and the Nigel Williams-Goss eligible after transferring from Washington.

15. Washington at Gonzaga – Dec. 7 (11 p.m.): The Huskies aren’t a lock to make the NCAA tournament this year, but this game will still be a must-watch thanks to Gonzaga’s strength, Markelle Fultz’s talent and it being an in-state rivalry game played on campus. Don’t underestimate how much these two fanbases dislike each other.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...ference-games/
    I guess someone reads our board.

Default Buckets of Talent vs. Buckets of Chicken

UWKFC? We hate 'em???

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    I guess someone reads our board.
    Not just ours... Dawgman board doesn't pull any punches on us either.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    UWKFC? We hate 'em???

:]
    I've seen people use this "UWKFC" before, what is the meaning? It obviously means UW, but I don't get the KFC part.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Dawgman is a pay board now-- they had too many opposing teams fans harassing them over all of the NBA players on their rosters and inability to make the dance.

Top meaning of abbreviation KFC= Kentucky Fried Chicken

I have friends that are UW grads, and hold no general animosity towards their fanbase. It is the ones that are delusional and become abusive that gain my enmity.

Gonzaga DID NOT cancel the series, no matter how one rewrites history.

UW did suggest 3 games at the neutral Key Arena, and released it to the press before discussing it with Gonzaga (at least that is how I heard it transpired) And then pointed fingers at the Zags when the suggestion was laughed off.

Few has not had Bigfoots baby (at least that we know of) and Romar has therefore capitulated. My guess is the national OCC games against better opponents just hasn't panned out. Eastern WA, Portland and the likes of those dynastic power houses hasn't supplanted the Zags from the perenial top 25 rankings.

I am glad to see the series back on. I wish that the Zags would play WSU and Eastern too, even though the potential for bad losses exists. It would be nice for local fans of all three schools, and would share money into this economy...and I do know all the arguements against, thank you.
    It's not funny.

The top 50 non-conference college basketball games for the 2016-17 season

4. San Diego State at Gonzaga, Nov. 14: All things considered, over the past 10 years, these are two of the five best programs on West Coast time (Arizona being the other). Neither plays scaredy-cat scheduling, either. Gonzaga has question marks this year; San Diego State might be able to steal this one early.

25. Arizona vs. Gonzaga, Dec. 3 (Hall of Fame game): This is part of a multi-city, sort of nebulous Hall of Fame-sponsored event. Just so happens this matchup is the best of them all. This is being played at Staples Center. When watching Arizona, Lauri Markkanen is a name to track. Tall Finnish player who can finish inside and out. Ray Smith is also ready to go. Wildcats are stacked.

30. Washington at Gonzaga, Dec. 7: Now that we're back on Gonzaga, let's acknowledge how great it is that Przemek Karnowski is back on the court. He endured terrible back issues last season, and really, it was no sure thing he was ever going to fully be back to this point. He's key to Gonzaga's chances at winning the WCC again. Why include this game? I had to get Washington in here somewhere, because if a guy in the conversation for the No. 1 overall pick is going on the road inside state borders against a legit foe, that's a challenge you want to see him face. Markelle Fultz, give it your best.

St Marys even shows up on the list:
    12. Saint Mary's at Dayton, Nov. 19: Saint Mary's is the best team nobody's paying attention to. All five starters are back, and this game is a big one because Randy Bennett has been allergic to scheduling road games against top-50 opponents for much of his time in Moraga. Now he'll go in and get another qualify Archie Miller squad. Important game for SMC. Good test for UD.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...016-17-season/

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    I've seen people use this "UWKFC" before, what is the meaning? It obviously means UW, but I don't get the KFC part.
    Romar/UW cancelled the series with GU because they were too "chicken" to face the Zags after losing 8 out of 9 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    The top 50 non-conference college basketball games for the 2016-17 season

4. San Diego State at Gonzaga, Nov. 14: All things considered, over the past 10 years, these are two of the five best programs on West Coast time (Arizona being the other). Neither plays scaredy-cat scheduling, either. Gonzaga has question marks this year; San Diego State might be able to steal this one early.

25. Arizona vs. Gonzaga, Dec. 3 (Hall of Fame game): This is part of a multi-city, sort of nebulous Hall of Fame-sponsored event. Just so happens this matchup is the best of them all. This is being played at Staples Center. When watching Arizona, Lauri Markkanen is a name to track. Tall Finnish player who can finish inside and out. Ray Smith is also ready to go. Wildcats are stacked.

30. Washington at Gonzaga, Dec. 7: Now that we're back on Gonzaga, let's acknowledge how great it is that Przemek Karnowski is back on the court. He endured terrible back issues last season, and really, it was no sure thing he was ever going to fully be back to this point. He's key to Gonzaga's chances at winning the WCC again. Why include this game? I had to get Washington in here somewhere, because if a guy in the conversation for the No. 1 overall pick is going on the road inside state borders against a legit foe, that's a challenge you want to see him face. Markelle Fultz, give it your best.

St Marys even shows up on the list:
    12. Saint Mary's at Dayton, Nov. 19: Saint Mary's is the best team nobody's paying attention to. All five starters are back, and this game is a big one because Randy Bennett has been allergic to scheduling road games against top-50 opponents for much of his time in Moraga. Now he'll go in and get another qualify Archie Miller squad. Important game for SMC. Good test for UD.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...016-17-season/
    GU vs. SDSU #4 on the list? Seriously? UA vs. GU is a more compelling matchup and better rivalry with quite a few head to head meetings over the years both regular season and in the Tourney. Having that game at #25 is a joke. SMC vs. UD #12? Are you freaking kidding? I'm sure this list is just click bait, but it's not well thought out even slightly.

OK, I read the whole list. Utter stupidity. No consistency at all either. In some cases matchups of blue bloods are right at the top of the list. But North Carolina vs. Kentucky #36, Kentucky vs. Louisville #43, Louisville vs. Indiana #44 and Kansas vs. Kentucky #49? And Virginia vs. Villanova #50? What drug is the author high on? By contrast Rhode Island vs. Valpo #17, VCU vs. Baylor #16, George Washington vs. Georgia #15.

Not to mention the Arizona-Gonzaga blurb includes a picture of Dranginis and Trier saying they will be part of a the matchup. That's news to most GU fans who were under the impression KD used up his eligibility and will not longer be playing for the Zags. Really informed journalism there.

This is not a good schedule. We don't play one true road game the entire non conference schedule. We will get credit for the neutral site games but frankly, this year we did what we complain about others not doing. Lots of cream on these puffs outside of Arizona, SDSU and possibly one good game in Orlando. I hope our team doesn't stumble as there will be limited opportunity to boost our SOS or RPI.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbyspapa View Post
    This is not a good schedule. We don't play one true road game the entire non conference schedule. We will get credit for the neutral site games but frankly, this year we did what we complain about others not doing. Lots of cream on these puffs outside of Arizona, SDSU and possibly one good game in Orlando. I hope our team doesn't stumble as there will be limited opportunity to boost our SOS or RPI.
    Agree completely. One of the weakest since the run began.

Probably wait to see how it plays out before making a call as it usually turns out some teams are better than others and others are not so good.

Some decent games Florida/Seton Hall, Zona, Washington is always a fun game, San Diego State at home, Tennessee in Nashville will be fun and St Marys and BYU are looking solid for this year.

Or.....You always have next year to look at forward to--- to make you feel a little better about the scheduling in general.

Last edited by Zagdawg; 09-29-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    GU vs. SDSU #4 on the list? Seriously? UA vs. GU is a more compelling matchup and better rivalry with quite a few head to head meetings over the years both regular season and in the Tourney. Having that game at #25 is a joke. SMC vs. UD #12? Are you freaking kidding? I'm sure this list is just click bait, but it's not well thought out even slightly.
    The games are listed chronologically.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Party pooper! LOL
    It's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Doh! Thanks for pointing that out to me, I retract everything I said earlier.