Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: who's going to redshirt

Default who's going to redshirt

With all this talent and all these bodies... something's gotta give.

So, who's getting the redshirts?

Here's what I'd predict...

Larsen - 100% chance a redshirt
    Tillie - 80% chance of redshirt
    Hachimura - 50% (at most) chance of redshirt
    Norvell/Collins - Virtually no chance of redshirt barring injury

With 17 players on the roster, we really don't need to red-shirt anyone...just have three teams and run "40 minutes of hell" ala University of Arkansas' Nolan Richardson...push and press...I loved watching Hank and Bo play that uptempo game...sure wish we would adopt something similar...sure would be fun to watch and it would be really hard for opponents to keep up with us too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Here's what I'd predict...

Larsen - 100% chance a redshirt
    Tillie - 80% chance of redshirt
    Hachimura - 50% (at most) chance of redshirt
    Norvell/Collins - Virtually no chance of redshirt barring injury
    Agree in Larsen and Tillie... but my gut says that'd be about it.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Agree in Larsen and Tillie... but my gut says that'd be about it.
    This is where I am, as well.

I would be shocked if Larsen & Tillie don't redshirt this year.

I think that's also why they were not here for any part of the summer, and only showed
    up on campus just before the fall semester began.

It is relatively unusual for a player to travel to America from Europe to play college
    hoops, and then redshirt. The Zags may have at least two guys do that. The fact that both
    need to get a lot stronger plays into this... and so does the team depth, especially
    in Larsen's case.

Looks like a likely 9 man rotation: Karno, JW3, Collins, Hachimura, NWG, Matthews, Perkins, Melson, Norvell. Spot minutes for Edwards/Alberts barring foul trouble/injury or a huge leap by one of them. And with Karno's health and maybe others in question, maybe not as deep a team as might seem at first glance. Agree w/ the 2 likely redshirts.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
    I would be shocked if Larsen & Tillie don't redshirt this year.
    At this point there are no plans to redshirt either one of these guys. Neither one traveled halfway around the world to redshirt. Minutes for some may be scarce, but barring injury I don't see either one of these two as "5 year guys".

I do not see Melson playing much this year with all the talent we have. Too small and can`t shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    At this point there are no plans to redshirt either one of these guys. Neither one traveled halfway around the world to redshirt. Minutes for some may be scarce, but barring injury I don't see either one of these two as "5 year guys".
    Interesting.

I don't see how that can work, definitely doesn't seem to be enough minutes to justify coming around the world, either. Then, giving our recruiting prowess, it would surprise me that even if we had bigs in waiting, if a "can't miss" 4 or 5 star becomes available, I doubt we'd not recruit them based on what's on the end of the bench.

Practices ought to be damn intense, that's for sure.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I thought 13 was the number of scholarship players allowed on a roster, hence the redshirt thread. Is this not true?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    I do not see Melson playing much this year with all the talent we have. Too small and can`t shoot.
    He has plenty of flaws, height is certainly not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Interesting.

I don't see how that can work, definitely doesn't seem to be enough minutes to justify coming around the world, either. Then, giving our recruiting prowess, it would surprise me that even if we had bigs in waiting, if a "can't miss" 4 or 5 star becomes available, I doubt we'd not recruit them based on what's on the end of the bench.

Practices ought to be damn intense, that's for sure.
    Of course not. This is big time CBB, boys and girls.

I think Larson will red shirt, that is it.
    but I have no more insight or knowledge than anyone else who has chimed in with an opinion.

I do know that coach few has always left this decision up to the player. sure he will give counsel, but if a player does not want to red shirt, coach is not going to make him do so.

I do not buy the argument that there are only so many minutes to pass around, so some players may be tempted to red shirt. if a player red shirts and hopes of a better chance to find minutes the following year, he could be disappointed when he see the next year's freshman class arrive. I believe Gonzaga has turned a page with its program, year in and year out we are going to have 10 plus players that can flat out play, play at the top level, and as such have the talent to play serious minutes. competition will always answer the problem of who plays and who does not.

Gonzaga is past the days when we had a good starting 5, a few fair to good guys off the bench, and then heart warming walk on's after that. Gonzaga will no doubt experience some growing pains as we (coach few) figure out how to manage the talent that is good enough to field two teams, like duke, Kentucky, Kansas and some of the others do.

Default who's going to redshirt

I would have to say that Melson can shoot very well. In the past, he has been a bit streaky, but when he is on, lookout. I'm guessing that as he is more comfortable in the system, we will see more consistent offense from the young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    I think Larson will red shirt, that is it.
    but I have no more insight or knowledge than anyone else who has chimed in with an opinion.

Gonzaga is past the days when we had a good starting 5, a few fair to good guys off the bench, and then heart warming walk on's after that. Gonzaga will no doubt experience some growing pains as we (coach few) figure out how to manage the talent that is good enough to field two teams, like duke, Kentucky, Kansas and some of the others do.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG#1 View Post
    I thought 13 was the number of scholarship players allowed on a roster (we have 17 with walk-ons), hence the redshirt thread. Is this not true?
    NCAA rules stipulate 13 on scholarship but am not aware of any restrictions on how many can suit up at home games...I believe there are restrictions on team travel but don't remember if Red Shirts/Transfers can travel with the team...

FYI - Melson is 6'4" and Matthews is 6'3"

There are definitely going to be some bruised egos this year

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    NCAA rules stipulate 13 on scholarship but am not aware of any restrictions on how many can suit up at home games...I believe there are restrictions on team travel but don't remember if Red Shirts/Transfers can travel with the team...

Going strictly off top of my head with no real confidence in it being actual fact... but think only 15 can dress for a game.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

FYI - Melson is not 6-4 Guaranteed!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post
    I would have to say that Melson can shoot very well. In the past, he has been a bit streaky, but when he is on, lookout. I'm guessing that as he is more comfortable in the system, we will see more consistent offense from the young man.

Exactement!!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Zags Fan View Post

Oui, bien sūr!

totally disagree with everything you said. He played a big role in Gonzaga first making it to the NCAA Tournament, and 2nd making it to the Sweet 16. Defense, and rebound make a difference to some, and believe it or not, he made a pretty good number of 3's in that run at the end of the season. Some of you seem to have forgotten that, but I doubt that Few and Tommy have.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    totally disagree with everything you said. He played a big role in Gonzaga first making it to the NCAA Tournament, and 2nd making it to the Sweet 16. Defense, and rebound make a difference to some, and believe it or not, he made a pretty good number of 3's in that run at the end of the season. Some of you seem to have forgotten that, but I doubt that Few and Tommy have.
    He could easily become a Dranginis-like glue guy if he set his mind to it. He knows the system. He has the athleticism to do some work on the offensive boards and played good defense at times. He showed a willingness to take a charge and I thought he took his licks on bad calls on defense that a more experienced player might get to go his way in the future. His 3-point shooting hasn't materialized, and Drano never met up with his potential there, either. He's one of the more interesting guys from an un-tapped potential perspective, in my opinion.

Default Melson

FYI - Melson is not 6-4 Guaranteed!!!!!
    I'd say 6' 1" stocking feet.