Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Melissa Click Hired as new GU lecturer

"Some people are saying" that Gonzaga has reached out to this woman also to see if she needs a second chance. -- she also had a "heat of the moment" issue and is looking for a job.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...nts/ar-AAiAKYj
    Last edited by Zagdawg; 09-07-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I can say that I've heard alot more about GU from various coworkers in friends than I normally do at this time of the year, and every single comment is a variation on "what were they thinking?"

I tell them that the only good news I have is what LIZF said, that it's a 1 year, non-tenure-track position.
    Your stance (and LIZF's) is the appropriate course of action.

Nobody I know down here in North Texas has said anything to me about it. I'd change the subject in a heartbeat, talking about how loaded the Zags are this year. Besides, we've just started the HS football season, and the Cowboys start their season on Sunday. Football in Texas dominates everyone's attention at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    "Some people are saying" that Gonzaga has reached out to this woman also to see is she needs a second chance.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...nts/ar-AAiAKYj
    Ok Dawg, is your link meant to be a joke? "Hungary charges camerawoman accused of tripping fleeing migrants"

Yes a joke-- -- although the reporter is looking for a new job and a second chance in that article-- it is a very similar situation as some would say here-- just a "heat of the moment" decision on her part to trip the fleeing people and kick them a little bit.

Yes a joke-- -- although the reporter is looking for a new job and a second chance in that article-- it is a very similar situation as some would say here-- just a "heat of the moment" decision on her part to trip the fleeing people and kick them a little bit.
    Isn't forgiveness in the face of remorse and lifting those that are down fundamental Christian ideals or am I missing something? Or did I learn something completely different in my religion classes at GU?
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Sorry Lizf -- Difference between hiring someone to influence our young peoples impressionable minds and overlooking someones activities that cause negative impacts.

I don't feel she was remorseful and understands what she did wrong-- Dr Click said in an interview in The Chronicle of Higher Education that she was fired because “This is all about racial politics, I’m a white lady. I’m an easy target."

Here are a couple of verses that might have been missed also....

A wise man once said---The people who we’re with really do affect us in life. If we’re with false teachers we will be influenced by false teachings.

Proverbs 24:1-2 Do not envy the wicked, do not desire their company; for their hearts plot violence, and their lips talk about making trouble.

Psalm 26:4-5 I do not spend time with liars, nor do I make friends with those who hide their sin. I hate the company of evil people, and I won’t sit with the wicked.

1 Corinthians 5:11 I am writing to tell you that you must not associate with those who call themselves believers in Christ but who sin sexually, or are greedy, or worship idols, or abuse others with words, or get drunk, or cheat people. Do not even eat with people like that.

Sorry Lizf -- Difference between hiring someone to influence our young peoples impressionable minds and overlooking someones activities that cause negative impacts.

I don't feel she was remorseful and understands what she did wrong-- Dr Click said in an interview in The Chronicle of Higher Education that she was fired because “This is all about racial politics, I’m a white lady. I’m an easy target."

A wise man once said---The people who we’re with really do affect us in life. If we’re with false teachers we will be influenced by false teachings.

Proverbs 24:1-2 Do not envy the wicked, do not desire their company; for their hearts plot violence, and their lips talk about making trouble.

Psalm 26:4-5 I do not spend time with liars, nor do I make friends with those who hide their sin. I hate the company of evil people, and I won’t sit with the wicked.

1 Corinthians 5:11 I am writing to tell you that you must not associate with those who call themselves believers in Christ but who sin sexually, or are greedy, or worship idols, or abuse others with words, or get drunk, or cheat people. Do not even eat with people like that.
    …..so I guess that counts for half the responses to almost anything Jazz has posted......with specific regard to the GU backcourt (any given year-except Dickau's)?

Had a chance to read up on this and also read the responses above. Here's my take leaving out some of the things already said.

1. My guess is that her hiring was someone at GU doing a solid for a friend. Nothing more. Actually, I don't have a big problem with that.

2. However, GU issues a statement that this was a nationwide search. Really? Gonzaga expends the energy and money to do a nationwide search for a one year, non-tenure position? Who does this? Rings untrue.

3. "Everybody deserves a second chance." Nice moral framing. Re-frame it. How about "Everybody deserves a first chance?" How many people didn't get a first chance so that Click could get her second chance.

4. About those people who didn't get a first chance. Think GU will tell us how many minority communications PhDs didn't get a first chance. Ironically, wasn't Click trying to "protect" oppressed black students. What about her "white privilege." Does she check her white privilege at the door? Does she live it?

5. Even assuming for the sake of argument that she has been unjustly saddled with all the Mo. baggage, the best GU can do and the most consistent with GU's mission is an academic that writes papers about the Twilight book and sexual abstinence and the effect of sparkly vampires on teen girls. This is the best you can do? You can only find someone who peddles twaddle? What?

6.Who wouldn't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars to send their kids or grandkids to an institution that thinks such research is important? Not me. I can't think of a good reason to support it anymore, especially at Gonzaga. If this is the state of the modern university, then the university is dead. Apparently by suicide.

7. As an aside, buy me a bottle of good scotch and I can tell you all you need to know about Twilight the book and Twilight the movie and anecdotal stories of some of my daughters friends and the book. No national search needed. Actually a month with me would be of greater value to the average student. Assuming they could survive the "ordeal." LOL.
    Last edited by Bowser; 09-11-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: I used the word "beclowns."

Or you just have your mind made up. Think that is the real answer.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Or you just have your mind made up. Think that is the real answer.
    Both sides are viewing this situation from the prism of their own views.

I hope that the nurturing bosom of GU helps her get rid of the anger inside of her. She's obviously qualified to teach communications, let's see if she has learned from her experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Both sides are viewing this situation from the prism of their own views.

I hope that the nurturing bosom of GU helps her get rid of the anger inside of her. She's obviously qualified to teach communications, let's see if she has learned from her experiences.
    All my point was, is that forgiveness and compassion are paramount values of Christianity... and to be critical of GU for expressing them seems against those values. To pull Bible verses to allow one to ignore those values is a bit distressing... but hey... so be it. Just seems to me that many people are making their judgement about this woman without ever directly talking to her.. whereas GU did talk to her.

I'm done on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Key points that are being missed here....

a) it is lecture position only. No tenure track... not even a title of associate professor.
    b) It is for one year only.

I don't like her actions at Missouri... but I'd prefer to have a bit more faith in the people who interviewed and vetted her at Gonzaga than people on the internet who have only seen a youtube video of her at a singular moment. I'd think they might have a better idea of her level of remorse that she may have expressed and the veracity of that remorse.

Just sayin'.
    Would you hold that view for a police officer if he/she did exact same thing while working off duty security?

My guess is no
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Would you hold that view for a police officer if he/she did exact same thing while working off duty security?

My guess is no
    And you'd be wrong.

Mizzou has paid a price

LINK

Apparently Gonzaga hasn't...

Melissa Click should be at Evergreen State College------let's be honest with each other---if you're over 40 (and I am) ----you are what you are...period...............a person who "changes" after 40 is an anomaly
    Last edited by realtydog; 08-25-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Now Evergreen State has experienced a decline in enrollment that has resulted in a $2.1 million budget shortfall, forcing the liberal arts school to announce layoffs. The blow to the school’s enrollment and finances is seen as stemming, at least in part, from the showdown.
    link