Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Click Hired as new GU lecturer

Default Melissa Click Hired as new GU lecturer

I guess it doesn't matter if you're a bully, as long as you're a good teacher in the classroom.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Default GU seriously dropped the ball here

I don't know if GU thought this would sneak by unnoticed. In this day and age that is impossible. They full well knew what her background is. Frankly, this sounds like somebody doing somebody a favor. GU can't be that desperate for faculty.

Redemption may be possible for her, but she needs some time to become less radioactive and put her Missouri act behind her. She needs to earn her way back before teaching at a school like GU. She needs to start off somewhere really low on the totem pole like Southern North Dakota Junior College.

Default Exactly what happens when a committee does hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    I don't know if GU thought this would sneak by unnoticed. In this day and age that is impossible. They full well knew what her background is. Frankly, this sounds like somebody doing somebody a favor. GU can't be that desperate for faculty.

Redemption may be possible for her, but she needs some time to become less radioactive and put her Missouri act behind her. She needs to earn her way back before teaching at a school like GU. She needs to start off somewhere really low on the totem pole like Southern North Dakota Junior College.
    Wouldn't be surprised at all if this surprised the administration too.

Very disappointing.

Embarrassing
    Bring back the OCC

"She publicly apologized for the incident on Nov. 10 and reportedly reached out to the two photographers to express regret over her actions."

So she had a bad, like, 10 seconds of her life in a heated moment, apologized for it the next day, served a serious punishment (losing her job)...and it's "embarrassing" for GU to hire her?

Very unclear to me whether this woman was standing up to GOP conservatives in Missouri by protecting the right of minority students to protest (a good thing in my opinion) or whether she lost control in a public situation for no obvious reason (a bad thing in my opinion). If GU is making a statement by hiring her, I don't understand what that statement is.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

someone who assaults the media to prevent them from covering a story should not be teaching communications at Gonzaga
    Bring back the OCC

So out of curiosity, is there ANYTHING she could do, any number of apologies she could make, that would make it ok for her to teach communications again? (At Gonzaga or elsewhere). Does this one (non-violent...it's not like she killed someone) incident totally and permanently disqualify her from having a job in her chosen profession?

Quote Originally Posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
    So out of curiosity, is there ANYTHING she could do, any number of apologies she could make, that would make it ok for her to teach communications again? (At Gonzaga or elsewhere). Does this one (non-violent...it's not like she killed someone) incident totally and permanently disqualify her from having a job in her chosen profession?
    Your definition of non violent is that if no one dies. I'm not sure we can have a discussion if that's your baseline. There are a lot of minor things I could do at my job and no longer be allowed to work there. Ray Lewis punched his girlfriend and now no longer has an NFL job.

Communications isn't exactly a difficult degree. I'm sure Gonzaga could have found someone else.
    Bring back the OCC

Default I am serious

She really needs to spend some time in Purgatory before getting a job at a university. Some obscure job in Nowheresville. Redemption can come, but it needs to be earned.

Wow, this is embarrassing. Gonzaga won't be getting another dime from me for a while. What a poor decision.

Not a good thing. Damages the Gonzaga image.

They must feel the incident was simply a mistake...... and not a indication of her character and values.....reads like they used a rigorous process to make the selection.

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Your definition of non violent is that if no one dies.
    Ok, fair point. But even if we broaden the definition of "violent," she didn't: punch anybody, push anybody, poke anybody, stab anybody...in fact, she didn't lay a finger on anybody. She merely asked for a bigger human being to come over....and THAT wasn't even with the intention, not necessarily at least, of being violent. She asked for a bouncer who could come block a photographer from taking pictures.

Was it really, really dumb for her to do that? Yes, of course. But...like, c'mon, we can forgive people for momentary mistakes. There are a lot of minor things you could do at your job and no longer be allowed to work THERE. But you surely could work at a similar job with a different company, right? Surely you wouldn't have to go back to school and get a whole new degree, choose a different profession, and move across the country.

She's served her punishment, paid the price, said her apologies, and maybe even has learned and internalized some valuable lessons — things that some other professor might only have read about in a book. Have you all ever considered that maybe she's the MOST qualified person to teach about freedom of the press and how important it is to people in this country precisely because she has this experience? If I were a GU student, I'm not sure I'd be all that stoked to show up 3 days a week at some random communications class. But if Melissa Click were teaching it...I'd sure as heck be interested in what she has to say.

I have to side with glorious on this one. She made a mistake. She apologized. She was fired from a job she did for 15 years. I agree that what she did was wrong. But, did it seriously warrant her losing her ability earn a living for life? I don't think so. By the way this is a one year, non tenure track position. And on a final note, I think we have all "lost it". And if it had been video taped and others saw it, we might have been questioned. Luckily I haven't been video taped. If she can teach great. Maybe her Mizzu incident will be an example of how not to communicate.

I took a lot of crap from my pals this morning because of this hire. It was a bad PR move regardless of any contrition and qualifications on her part.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I took a lot of crap from my pals this morning because of this hire. It was a bad PR move regardless of any contrition and qualifications on her part.
    Good thing I was kicked off Free Republic a month ago, simply for not being on the Trump Train...lol. There was a thread there this morning about the hire, and a lot of unkind words and phrases were directed at our alma mater.

My only question: is this the best that GU could do?

Well, everyone's minds seem to be made up on this woman who's lived 44 years and had a meltdown of 10 seconds. That's fine, that's your right.

I hope she pours her heart into her new position, earns the respect of her students, gets to go to a basketball game or two, and goes on to lead a happy life in Spokane.

Ok, fair point. But even if we broaden the definition of "violent," she didn't: punch anybody, push anybody, poke anybody, stab anybody...in fact, she didn't lay a finger on anybody. She merely asked for a bigger human being to come over....and THAT wasn't even with the intention, not necessarily at least, of being violent. She asked for a bouncer who could come block a photographer from taking pictures.

Was it really, really dumb for her to do that? Yes, of course. But...like, c'mon, we can forgive people for momentary mistakes. There are a lot of minor things you could do at your job and no longer be allowed to work THERE. But you surely could work at a similar job with a different company, right? Surely you wouldn't have to go back to school and get a whole new degree, choose a different profession, and move across the country.

She's served her punishment, paid the price, said her apologies, and maybe even has learned and internalized some valuable lessons — things that some other professor might only have read about in a book. Have you all ever considered that maybe she's the MOST qualified person to teach about freedom of the press and how important it is to people in this country precisely because she has this experience? If I were a GU student, I'm not sure I'd be all that stoked to show up 3 days a week at some random communications class. But if Melissa Click were teaching it...I'd sure as heck be interested in what she has to say.
    She served her punishment? Going a few months without a job is the punishment? As far as not being able to return to work, there are lots of things that could lead to me not being able to return to work, but there are also things that might lead to me not being able to work in that field, at least in any sort of prominent role, until I'd demonstrated that it truly was a mistake, and not an example of my character. Given that she is a communications professor, and not an engineering professor, this seems like the sort of thing that'd fall more in the second category than the first category. It isn't what I'd expect of a highly ranked school.

As others have mentioned, this just isn't a good image for our alma mater - surely there were other qualified people who could've been hired.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Well, everyone's minds seem to be made up on this woman who's lived 44 years and had a meltdown of 10 seconds. That's fine, that's your right.

I hope she pours her heart into her new position, earns the respect of her students, gets to go to a basketball game or two, and goes on to lead a happy life in Spokane.
    Was it really just a 10 second meltdown? I harbor many doubts regarding that.

Colin Kapernick is being criticized for exercising his rights, while this professor was seeking to deny the rights of a citizen, and sought to use force. That hardly qualifies as merely a "ten second meltdown."

Rather ironic that she's hired so soon after the university shut down the OCC.

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    She served her punishment? Going a few months without a job is the punishment?
    We've probably reached an impasse on most of the other points, but yes, going a few months without an income very easily could be a serious punishment. Who knows what her situation is, how many kids she needs to feed, what her mortgage payments are like, etc. Not to mention her tarnished reputation and becoming the butt of all kinds of jokes.

The damage this does our university is well beyond what she will ever provide educationally at any of her lectures--- just the comments of what she can do to "impressionable minds" is enough for me to look at alternative #2.

Reading the comments below -- painful for the work we have done to improve the image of our university.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fir...rRb?li=BBnb7Kz

The damage from the protests at Missouri resulted in 2,600 less enrollments this coming school year and $36 million in tuition revenue lost--- I predict this will impact enrollment at Gonzaga also--not to the degree at Missouri --but there will be a negative impact.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...b595438d8.html
    Last edited by Zagdawg; 09-04-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Doesn't sound to me like she had learned and internalized a few lessons

But while the video of her screaming at a student went viral, turning her into the Melissa Click, the confrontation on a quad during a protest here last year really wasn’t that remarkable, in her mind. The assistant professor of communication at the University of Missouri was just doing what other professors and administrators were doing there, too, she says. So why did she lose her job?

She has one idea. Under pressure from state legislators, she says, Missouri’s Board of Curators fired her to send a message that the university and the state wouldn’t tolerate black people standing up to white people. "This is all about racial politics," she says. "I’m a white lady. I’m an easy target."

Well said