Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking at this years roster

The 2018-19 season is over. Before I post an updated 2019-2020 preseason roster, let's take a look back at the performance of this past year's team. GoZags.com has a huge amount of performance metrics available at the team level, as well as the individual player level. Its all there, if you dig for it.

I think it's obvious to all of us that the 2018-19 team was a different team than the 2017-18 team. In 2017-18, our offense ran through Jill Barta and Emma Stach. Without Jill and Emma in 2018-19, the team did things differently. From a performance metrics perspective, to find out what was different, I took data from GoZags.com and formated it so we can easily compare 2017-18 to 2018-19.

The table below compares the GU 2017-18 team to the 2018-19 team and shows the + (favorable) and - (unfavorable) changes. It also compares our opponents in 2017-18 to our opponents in 2018-19. All the blue values in the table are from GoZags.com. All the black and red values are calculated from the GoZags.com data.

You can dig down into the details of the Metrics on your own, but here are just a few of my general observations.

First of all, since the game count is different for the two years (33 games vs 34 games), you can't just look at the gross numbers. You need to look at the Metric Value per Game. I have highlighted those rows in yellow.

Second. Our "Margin to Opponents" exceeded our opponents in all Metrics,.... except Steals and Turnovers. Even though we had more Steals per game and less Turnovers per game than our opponents in both years, the gap was narrowed from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

Third. The most glaring Metric change is in 3 Point Shooting. We made one more 3-Point bucket in 2018-19 than we did in 2017-18. But we took 105 fewer attempts to achieve those points! That raised our 3PT% from 30% to 38%!! Without looking at the individual players data, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "Thank you KC!!" (I should probably also give credit to JL and JT. I just haven't dug into the individual player's stats yet.)

Fourth. WHAT AN AMAZING YEAR!! CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2018-19 LADY ZAGS TEAM!!

So,.... here's the table. Enjoy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I drilled down to the player level in my pursuit to understand how we were able to make up for the loss of Jill Barta and Emma Stach. To keep things simple, I graphed minutes played in 2017-2018 compared to 2018-2019 to see where Jill's and Emma's minutes went. I also graphed 3-Points Made by Jill B and Emma S to see who made up the loss of those two players.

Minutes Played: With the loss of Jill Barta and Emma Stach, a total of 1,665 minutes had to be distributed to the other players. Everyone picked up additional minutes (except for Jenn Wirth due to her broken finger early in the year). As you can see, the players that picked up significant minutes were LW (458), KC (549), JT (249), MK (466), and LF (145).

[IMG][/IMG]

3-Points Made: Jill Barta and Emma Stach accounted for 79 3-Point shots made in 2017-2018. In the 2018-2019 season, the team scored one more 3-Point shot that the 2017-2018 team did (159 to 158). Here's a graph of the 3-Point shots made by the players compared to 2017-2018.

[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see, Katie Campbell accounted for 51 of the 79 3-Point shots that needed to be made up from the loss of JB and ES. JT contributed another 18 and LF contributed another 13.

More evidence of what a truly awesome year this has been!

Ok. Enough for looking in the rear view mirror. My next post will be the current status of the roster for the 2019-2020 season!

GO LADY ZAGS!

Thanks Zagineer.

I have not yet had a chance to review the data in depth yet, but I do see that you have to look closely at some of the numbers. For example, if you look at the 3 pt attempts and 3 pt apg percentages, they show huge negative values which at first glance might imply a negative connotation, but in reality it is a positive value as far as the team is concerned.

Offensively, we scored more points per game than last year and shot better across the board (overall, 3 pt and free throws) than we did last year. On a per game basis, we had more rebounds, more assists and more blocks than we had last year. The only areas where we dropped off from last year were in turnovers per game, points off turnovers per game and steals per game, but the changes in these areas were essentially statistically insignificant (less than 2%). Back in October, I postulated that this team had the ability to be better offensively than last year's team and so it turned out that way.

Defensively, we gave up 1.64 more points per game to our opponents. We also allowed our opponents to shoot slightly better in all aspects (overall, 3 pt & free throws) than we did the year before. The rest of the metrics for our opponents are very similar to the year before with our opponents getting slightly fewer rebounds, getting fewer blocks per game, having slightly more turnovers and slightly fewer points of turnovers than the year before but these same opponents had more assists and steals per game this year. Back in November, I predicted that this team would be better defensively than last year's team and for most of the year it was.

The improvements by our opponents are essentially due to the 3 games against BYU, and our games against ND and OSU. ND & OSU I understand, but we need much better defense improvement against BYU next year.

I think next year's team will have the same opportunity to improve both offensively and defensively. If they do improve on both sides of the ball, next year's team could be very scary if they put it all together.

ZagDad

One more graphic before moving on to the 2019-20 Roster update....

The graph below is very similar to the "Total Minutes By Player" graph in my previous post above. But there was one more game in 2018-19 than there was in 2017-18. That distorts the magnitudes of the variances between the two seasons. The graph below is "Average Minutes Per Game By Player", which provides a level "playing field" in comparing the two seasons.

[IMG][/IMG]

it still stuns me that Zee IIRC has only taken 3 3pointers her whole Zag career....correct me if I'm wrong......she took two at the end of the byu game and one late Oregon game....(.missed opportunities?..).. and she made all 3.

in reference to todays brunch, CLF talked about how difficult it was to get players minutes.....then when Craig was talking about Zee, he talked about Zee only getting an average of 9 minutes per game as a soph......that is unbelievable to me.....but his point was that our players have trust in the program to help them grow and to get significant PT as they progress......he brought up the fact that there are 500 players in the transfer portal and a lot of them are unhappy with their PT or otherwise not trusting that they'll get their fair shot..in contrast to the Zags, who have not been bit by the transfer bug knock on wood, except for a very small number...

If you are a 3-. 4- or 5-star rated recruit (which you need to be to play for a Top-30 D-1 team), you are used to being the "go to person on the team", playing essentially all of the minutes in the game. Everybody on the team (excluding walk-ons) feels (or should feel or they should not be there) they should be the person starting, the person getting the most minutes, being the go to person. Obviously, not everybody can be "that" person. When athletes feel their coaches are not making the best use of their talent they will look for what they think or feel is a better situation for them. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Most rosters go 7-10 deep and there is only 200 minutes to spread around per game. For the Lady Zags, we had 2 players average 25-30 mpg, 6 players averaged 20-25 minutes, 1 player averaged 10-15 mpg, 1 player averaged 5-10 mpg and one player averaged less than 5 mpg. A look at the Stanford roster is pretty typical of a Top rated team. 3 players averaged around 30 mpg, 4 players average 20-25 mpg, 3 more average 10-15 mpg, 1 player averaged 5-10 mpg, and the remaining 3 players averaged less than 5 mpg. When comparing the teams, 7-8 players are averaging over 20 mpg, a couple more in the 10-15 mpg and the rest of the roster getting less than 10 mpg.

This year's Lady Zag roster was one of the most unselfish, team orientated rosters I have had the pleasure to follow. Two (2) of the starters at the beginning of the year (JW and JL), got injured and missed several games, yet they apparently seemed to accept coming off the bench even after they were healed, to support the greater good of the team. The coaches have to be very careful when offering transfers, because if a person is leaving their initial school because of a lack of playing time, they may not be any happier at GU.

ZagDad

it still stuns me that Zee IIRC has only taken 3 3pointers her whole Zag career....correct me if I'm wrong......she took two at the end of the byu game and one late Oregon game....(.missed opportunities?..).. and she made all 3.
    According to the official stats, Zee attempted 4 3's this year and made 3. In 2017-2018 Zee was 0-4 from 3, 2016-2017 Zee was 0-2, and in 2015-2016 Zee did not attempt a 3-point shot.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    According to the official stats, Zee attempted 4 3's this year and made 3. In 2017-2018 Zee was 0-4 from 3, 2016-2017 Zee was 0-2, and in 2015-2016 Zee did not attempt a 3-point shot.
    You are correct on all counts. The bar chart in Post #77 above is just a comparison of 3 Point Shots Made in 2018-19 vs 2017-18. I did not graph any data regarding the number of 3 Point Shots Attempted.

Zee's fourth 3-PT shot attempt in 2018-19 was against Little Rock.

Thx....don't remember her earlier attempts
    Gu no

Moving on to looking forward to the 2019-20 Roster, here is the current status, as far as I know. If you spot any corrections that need to be made, please let me know.

As I've done in the past, there are two tables for the Roster, both containing the same information. The first table is organized by the NCAA Senior Class year. The second table is organized by grouping players by Position.

Go Lady Zags!

Organized by NCAA Senior Class:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Organized by Position:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Welcome Cierra Walker!!

Organized by NCAA Senior Class:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Organized by Position:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    Welcome Cierra Walker!!. [Charts omitted.]
    Thanks for all the work putting out your charts -- it's appreciated.

I understand Cierra has already played 3 years for Vanderbilt -- is this correct? If so, I conclude your charts listing Cierra as being at GU for the next two years are your way of saying she does/will not qualify as a graduate transfer, that as a consequence she will have to sit out 2019-2020, and that she will only be available to play 2020-2021. Was that your intention? If so, is that notion based on some inside info, or just some hunch?

Additionally, if you intend to continue to show her as being at GU for the next two seasons you might consider placing note on your charts to the effect that she will be sitting out the 2019-2020 season.

Again, thanks for all the work on those charts.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    I understand Cierra has already played 3 years for Vanderbilt -- is this correct?

If so, I conclude your charts listing Cierra as being at GU for the next two years are your way of saying she does/will not qualify as a graduate transfer, that as a consequence she will have to sit out 2019-2020, and that she will only be available to play 2020-2021. Was that your intention? If so, is that notion based on some inside info, or just some hunch?

Additionally, if you intend to continue to show her as being at GU for the next two seasons you might consider placing note on your charts to the effect that she will be sitting out the 2019-2020 season.

Again, thanks for all the work on those charts.
    Yes, you are correct. Cierra has played 3 years at Vanderbilt.

No hunches on my part. I try to keep the Roster Table totally factual information gleaned from reliable public sources. The source of my information on Cierra is an article in GoZags.com on 5/17 around 11:56 am. The first paragraph of that article reads,....

"Cierra Walker, a transfer from Vanderbilt, signed a financial aid agreement at Gonzaga University and will join the women's basketball team. She will be eligible for the 2020-21 season after sitting out the upcoming season due to NCAA transfer rules. Walker will have one year of eligibility remaining." There's other good stuff in the short article worth your time to look up and read. Here's a link.

https://gozags.com/news/2019/5/17/wo...ra-walker.aspx

I also went to the Vanderbilt Women's Basketball Roster for 2018-19 to verify her height at 5'-8". (There's a news article out there that implied that she is 6'-1". That does not appear to be the case.)

Please note that in the listing of Cierra for the 2019-20 season, there is an abbreviation "TRS", which from the footnotes below the Roster Table, stands for "Transfer via Red Shirt Year."

Any information in the Roster Table that is not based on published fact, is noted by a "?" and is noted as an assumption on my part in the Notes below the Roster Table. For example, I am currently showing Kylee Griffen as "MHW?" (Medical Hardship Waiver) for the 2018-19 season. Nothing has been announced yet to my knowledge as to whether she will claim MHW, RS, or something else.

You are welcome. I enjoy keeping these Roster Tables up-to-date and posting it for all to use as a reference.

SLOZag,

Thank you for your post. After I responded to your post, I noticed that I had made an arithmetic error in the total available players count because I did not remove Cierra from the total available players count for 2019-20. She is a player on the roster count, but not available to play. The Roster Tables below have corrected that. Note that an "*" has been placed on Cierra for the 2019-20 season, indicating that she is not available to play.

Organized by Sr. Class
    [IMG][/IMG]

Organized by Position
    [IMG][/IMG]

GO LADY ZAGS!!

Hey Zagineer,

Time for an update.

I see that CLF (on her twitter page) has retweeted a post that Yvonne Ejim has committed to the Lady Zags. I guess that makes it official.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Hey Zagineer,
    Time for an update. I see that CLF (on her twitter page) has retweeted a post that Yvonne Ejim has committed to the Lady Zags. I guess that makes it official.
    ZagDad
    Yup, ZD. I saw that yesterday, but thanks for the post anyway. I appreciate all the input and help I can get to keep the Roster accurate and up-to-date.

I did a Google search on Yvonne's name and one link was titled, "Class of 2020 6'2 Yvonne Ejim with a big time Block". So, I said to myself, "She's going to be a HS Senior next school year. She'll show up at GU in the summer of 2020."

My next thought was,.... "So,..... is her current commitment a Verbal, or a NLI (National Letter of Intent)?" I've been trying to find factual data to nail that one down before updating the Roster. As well as, confirming that we are talking about Yvonne showing up at GU in the summer of 2020, rather than the summer of 2019.

If anyone can confirm that:

1. Yvonne signed a NLI.
    2. She will first appear on the GU Roster for the 2020-2021 season.

Please let me know and I'll update the Roster accordingly.

Thanks to all,... GO LADY ZAGS!!

This was a tweet during a non-signing period. If she had signed a NLI, we would see a press release from the school. I think you would be safe in listing as a verbal commitment for now just throw deductive reasoning.

Thanks for your comments, BR. I agree with you. In addition, I just found this link to an S-R article that confirms our assumptions.

https://www.swxrightnow.com/stories/...-sign-canadia/

Welcome, Yvonne Ejim!

Updated Roster by Sr. Class
    [IMG][/IMG]

Updated Roster by Position
    [IMG][/IMG]

GO LADY ZAGS!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBunnieRancher View Post
    This was a tweet during a non-signing period. If she had signed a NLI, we would see a press release from the school. I think you would be safe in listing as a verbal commitment for now just throw deductive reasoning.
    For Future reference Zagineer,

For Prospective Student-Athletes Signing in 2019-20 and Enrolling 2020-21:

Division I Basketball (Early Period): November 13, 2019 thru November 20, 2019
    Division I Basketball (Regular Period): April 15, 2020 thru May 20, 2020

You will not see any National LOI's signed until the 2nd week of November for new recruits coming in next year.

ZagDad