Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at this years roster

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Let me echo Kemo's congratulations and nice job.
    Well done Zagineer.

I am not necessarily concerned with a single game oops, such as the bench points against Pepperdine in the 1st game. I am more concerned when we have two or more lapses which can be the beginnings of a trend. For example, look at the points in the paint metric in the BYU and St. Mary's games, 2 of the last 3. We were blown out in this metric by two (2) of the better teams in the league, yet we did not have this disparity against St. Mary's in game one.

Hence, the possibility of a disturbing trend that may need to be addressed.

Thanks again Zagineer.

ZagDad
    Thank you, Kemo and ZD. I enjoy doing this sort of thing and happy to share with others.

ZD, you are spot on with your comments on the graph data. (I knew you would be.) I put them together so we can see the big picture and the detailed trends all at one glance. There is a lot of detailed information buried in these two graphs. I'll mention two observations.

The First Graph: Variance In Points Scored By Quarter.
    We have played 14 WCC games. That's 56 Quarters. We have won all the Quarters, except for 12 of them. I guess that's the 80/20 Rule (12 of 56)..... 80% of the time we win the Quarter, 20% of the time we loose the Quarter. Its interesting to note that of the 12 quarters we came up short, 9 of them are either the 3rd Quarter or the 4th Quarter. Hmmmmm? What does this mean? Are we running out of gas? I can understand the 4th Quarter drop off. We are subbing in our deep bench, so we will naturally give up some point variation. And that's OK with me. Give the deep bench as much time as you can, but still win the game.

The Second Graph: Variance in Box Score Metrics.
    Specifically, Bench Point Variance (the Green Bars). In the last three games, we have lost the Bench Points Variance by -4, -3, and -3 points. In our previous 8 games to the last 3 games, we were always positive and averaged +7 points. That's a 10 point variance in the final score of each of the last 3 games. Step it up Bench. The team needs you.

Overall Comment: We're doing good. But there are some areas that we need to improve, if we are to: 1) Win the WCC Tournament, and 2) Make a run in the NCAA Tournament.

GO LADY ZAGS!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Thanks Zagineer for the great graphs...
    Nice seeing most the color above the center line.
    They also give great insight on where improvements are needed against the stronger teams.
    Any thought of putting a W or L by the columns of each game?
    SZ
    Thanks for the suggestion, Skip. I'll see if I'm able to add the W/L data under each game when I update the graphs with the LMU game on Thursday Box Scores.

Updated graphs with data from last week's two games.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here are the graphs with the USD game added. Once again, its a negative variance for Points in Q4 and Points-in-the-Paint.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I don't know what happened to my previous post. I guess the URL address got messed up somehow.

We are now at the end of the WCC season. On Thursday we begin the WCC Tournament. So,... keeping in sync with this thread's Title of, "Looking at this Year's Roster",... here is how we did, as to performance through the WCC Regular Season (OOC games are not included). All the data was obtained from gozags.com,.... (assuming I didn't make a typo in transferring data to my Excel spreadsheet). So,.... how did we do? Here's the data in graphic format. People will come to different conclusions, but for me, I think we did AWESOME! Keep it up, Ladies, through this coming week in Vegas and beyond!! To reference a drag racing phrase from my teen-aged years,.... Put the pedal to the metal and don't back off!!

As for your performance in the WCC regular season,..... WELL DONE, LADIES!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The 2017-2018 Season is over. How did we do and who did it? Well, here's some stats on a variety of metrics for this year with our Lady Zags. Please note that this data does not include any OOC games. It is only the WCC season, the WCC Tournament, and any NCAA games (Round 1 - Stanford).

Some people like information in table format. I suggest you visit gozags.com. There is an abundance of data available in table format. Other people prefer a graphic presentation of the stats. This is what this post is all about. But I will start out with a table summary (for those that prefer table data) of stats for the past 22 games for all the players on this year's team. After all, SkipZag appropriately named this thread, "Looking at this year's roster". So, we're going to look at this year's roster and how they did.

But first, a few of my observations before you dive into the data below.

- Congratulations Lady Zags on a very, very successful year!!
    - Take a look at the Variance graphics below. The vast majority of performance indicators are on the plus side of zero for Gonzaga. Can you imagine what these graphs would look like for some of the middle or lower ranked WCC teams? Count our blessings, Lady Zag Fans.
    - Diving down further to the individual player performance graphs,.... How are we going to replace the production of Jill Barta? Yikes.
    - It's been a great year, Lady Zags. You have accomplished many good things! Now enjoy the next couple months - studying for Finals.... and then start preparing for next season!!

PS - I have a high confidence level that the information below is correct. The source of all data is gozags.com / sports / Women's basketball / schedule. If there is an error, it would be from a typo in data entry into my spreadsheet. I have done several spot checks and have not found any errors.

Here we go...... The 2017-2018 season stats (without OOC data) in table format.

NOTE: You can increase the size of the images below to make them more readable by holding down your Ctrl button and hitting your "+" button.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now for the graphs. Here's how we scored by quarter for the year.

[IMG][/IMG]

There are graphs for 12 metrics. Here are the first 6.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the other 6.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now for individual palyer stats. Page 1.

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 2.

[IMG][/IMG]

GO LADY ZAGS!!!

Thanks Zagineer:

Knowing the JB has now left, it is interesting to see that we have six (6) players that all shoot over 40% (pretty close to 44%) and two returning players shooting within about 1% of JB's overall shooting percentage.

It looks like we have the offense firepower to make up for the loss of JB if the other girls will step up and take the shots. If we can get the Wirth twins to look for their shots instead of deferring to JB and ZR, we might just be o'k next year.

Thanks again,

ZagDad

Updated Roster. The 2017-2018 season is now History and the 2018-2019 season begins!! Hopefully with the recruitment of a couple Bigs!!
    GO LADY ZAGS!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Zagineer for the updates...

One noted change... Barfield has been working with the forwards.

With the update, one starts to see the future needs. We have a Sr and Jr point guard. Would think the coaches are looking for one for the future. While we have the Wirths for 3 more years, I would think another forward would be a good add. I see the shooting guard and wing good for another signing year.

With MK coming in, I would like to see the team hang tight unless there is a 4 star or another ZR out there who hasn’t committed.

With the departure of JB, I still see the need for 4 players in the next signing class.

Will be looking forward to seeing what the verbals will look like.

Go Zags!!

Good catch, Skip. I know Gillian was originally listed as a Guard, but at some point in the season, she was changed to a Forward and I didn't pick it up.

Here is the corrected Roster. I have developed two formats,... both with the same information. The first one is formatted by Graduating Class. The second is formatted by Primary Position. It is the same information, just structured differently. It just depends on how you want to look at it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Great second format...

Really shows a gap in a true point guard.
    I know that CLF has said that some years there isn’t a player available at a position you need. Also why some years you see 4 players and others 2. Another thing that a coaching staff needs to deal with. If they don’t find a verbal commitment of a point guard... they will need to go with LF or KC as the fill in for JL. May work.

Anyway, with JB leaving... we will still have 4/5 forwards on the team.

Go Zags!!

love these charts but hate these charts....JB leaving is a big, big hole....we have several players with playing time but some like LF with hardly any playing time...two that get no playing time except in the last minute if that...we're depending on two newbies to step right in...and we're depending that our 2nd yr players keep improving...

we have many 6 footers but not one really big post which is what we've needed now for two yrs...coaches have got to find a couple out there....people seem to pull in lots of big people from Australia, and Europe, and and Canada, and we need to expand our recruiting if we can't find some here in the US...

lots of needs on this team....

Kylee Griffen has good height at 6'2" would expect her to see playing time. One year away from injury would also expect to start seeing Louis Forsyth working her way to some court time.

Would expect to see Jill Townsend to be a major contributor this year with a whole lot of more playing time.

See eleven players making contributions next year without any injuries.

Would say with confidence the top seven in rotation in no particular order will be Jenn Wirth, Zykera Rice, Chandler Smith, Laura Stockton, Jessie Loera, Jill Townsend, LeeAnne Wirth.

See Katie Campbell, Louise Forsyth, Kylee Griffen, and Melody Kempton all battling it out for playing time. These minutes can be earned by playing great defense, being a contributor in the trap. We are going to need a rebounder with grit to step up. And of course being able to score points in a real WCC game.

I see starters as LS,JW,Zee,CS and imo Jill Townsend...its a mystery why LF did not redshirt and played very, very limited minutes...we see she can shoot.......hope she doesn't get lost in the mix...

the reason I think she did not redshirt is that CLF wanted her getting some action because she probably knew about JB early on...she said on her talk show that they had to get the freshmen experience in a hurry..I suppose "some" exp playing in real game scenarios is better than no exp on the bench...

I doubt Emma W will apply for a redshirt...sounds like she's got her career goals set...to be a Physical therapist....hopes she can get in at Eastern so we could see her once in a while...

Updated Roster to add Anamaria Virjoghe.

WELCOME TO GONZAGA, Anamaria!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

"2020 Alexandra Zelaya picked up an offer from Gonzaga University"..saw this on twitter...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    "2020 Alexandra Zelaya picked up an offer from Gonzaga University"..saw this on twitter...
    Nice Scoop Sylean.

Here is a little information on Alex from ESPN:

She is a 6'3" forward from Goodyear, Arizona. She currently has a Score Grade of "90" and is rated as a 3-star recruit as a sophomore. She is currently ranked at No.7 in the nation at her position.

Some talent evaluator comments on Alex:

Adidas Gauntlet-April 2017: Agile faceup-4 performer stretches the defense to the arc; quick in paint, active on glass; hybrid game with off-the-charts potential. (Olson)

Adidas Gauntlet-April 2016: Stretch-4 prospect with superior length, wingspan delivers to the arc; quick off the dribble, attacks in traffic; out-quicks bigger defenders in lane; possibilities. (Olson)

According to ESPN, she is also considering Arizona, Colorado, LMU, & UNLV.

Link: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...er/_/id/230749

ZagDad

lets hope the Wirths have some pull....

Updated Rosters to add Kayleigh and Kaylynne Truong to the 2019-2020 Roster.

WELCOME TO GONZAGA, Kayleigh and Kaylynne!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Welcome to GU, Kaylynne and Kayleigh Truong, upon your signing of your NLI's!!

Also, Welcome to GU, Eliza Hollingsworth, upon your verbal commitment to GU!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

nice chart....only change would be that from reading on the forum it sounds like Corryn Douglas has left the program.....don't know the specifics...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    nice chart....only change would be that from reading on the forum it sounds like Corryn Douglas has left the program.....don't know the specifics...
    Thanks for the info, Sylean. I think you are correct, as the Roster on gozags.com no longer has her listed under the group photo. Makes me sad whenever anyone leaves the team.

So,... it's back to revising the excel file. I'll probably get to it this weekend.

me too....sad when they leave....

Updated Roster.
    Removed Corryn.
    Eliza signs NLI!!
    Corrected player counts at top of charts.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Jenn is back on the Court!!

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]