Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking at this years roster

good time to review the future now that we are in the doldrums awaiting selection Monday.....

we have some tall kids coming in, but we really need to have a tall big girl....to replace Grace....Grace had the height but also some girth....I think the team would be complete if we had a post with some girth...don't know who the coaches are working on....I wouldn't mind a transfer or a Juco. as far as transfers, is there a legal way for the coaches to approach other players?....do the players have to initiate the contact?.....how do other players thinking of transferring know where to apply?....

I know that there were recruits at our senior night.....I know there was a recruit who came earlier in the year......I wonder if anyone came to the WCC championship....

I like who the coaches have recruited so far.....hope they keep it up.....

as far as team chemistry, not so worried about that but lack of playing time for Zhane does worry me.....I like her game.....she probably wants to get more playing time.....she didn't get in at all for the WCC championship.....I don't worry as much about Zee.....in my estimation she should be a starter next year...

Things will not get much better for Zhane next year.

Both Forsyth and Townsend are off guards, not point guards, so the traffic jam at the 2/3 slot is not going to get better next year it will get worse. The Wirth twins play the 3/4 positions in high school. They may be able to move inside, but all four of these girls are on the slight of build side of things. Maybe Townsend has a little more mass than the other 3.

It is much easier to recruit and to be a place that transfers want to come to when you are winning. Last year's effort did not support a great recruiting class, but LF and her team did very well. With the recruiting team visiting Georgia, Maryland, Arizona, Nevada, California and the NW states, LF is reaching far and wide to fill the roster. We will hope that they are successful in their efforts.

ZagDad

thinking tonight what the teams situation is....we have just 2 seniors next year and heavy on the juniors....soph class has one...jess....yes, we'll have a very good high rated freshmen class but we are sorely in need of transfers....and, I would love for the coaches to spread their recruiting wings into eastern Europe a bit...seems a lot of Pac 12 teams have gotten some gems from that area...even places like Hawaii have produced some good players, even though ours didn't pan out....

Grace's leaving has left us in a quandary....thought we were going to be set with her here, but now we're behind the 8 ball again, IMO....

we need that big post to anchor our other tall and lean players...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    ............... Grace's leaving has left us in a quandary....
    sylean - Is that for certain? I've searched Gozags.com and googled everything I could think of on Grace and haven't found anything that confirms. I recall you posted recently that you "overheard" LF mention that she was not certain she would be returning, but I don't recall hearing or reading anything official. Sorry if I've overlooked it somewhere.

just what I recall what LF said...that she didn't expect to see her in uniform again....don't know if that meant not a Zag uniform or no uniform at all...it sounded like a friendly separation....but oh boy I wish I am wrong....

Thanks, sylean. I'm not giving up until its official, so I'm keeping her on the roster until official notice.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Roster Chart update.

Added Kylee Griffen as an '18 verbal. Welcome to GU, Kylee!!

As painful as it was for me,.... removed Zhane.

Zhane, I wish you the best that life has to offer. Thank you for coming to GU. Once a Zag,... always a Zag!

[IMG][/IMG]

Zagineer:

Looks like you need to update your spreadsheet.

http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskb...051817aaa.html

Thanks,

ZagDad

Thanks, ZagDad84. An official GoZags.com article is just what I've been waiting for. I just returned from a business trip, so I'll be updating it this evening (hopefully).

Here's the latest update to the Roster Table.

You will note that Grace still appears, as I have not seen any "official" public information regarding her status. If someone knows of any "official" public information, either post the link or PM me the link, whichever you feel more comfortable doing.

Keeping Grace on the Roster table stems from my "self-imposed policy" regarding this Roster Table. I will only include information that is publicly documented as fact from a trusted source, such as:

-- GoZags.com (....the ultimate in trusted factual information)
    -- Other school's equivalent to GoZags.com
    -- Public News Articles (...those that state information as fact, not surmised, and then, I would prefer more than one source)
    -- Public statements from the player herself (...Facebook, Twitter, youtube, etc., with some level of certainty that it really is the player doing the posting)

The intent of this Roster Table is to collect factual information on the players and place it in one location on GUB, so that it provides a 10,000 foot look at the team last year, this year, and how its forming up for the 4 years following.

For example, you will easily see at a glance how balanced we are this year for player count (4-Fr, 4-So, 4-Jr, and 2-Sr), but not so much for position count (8-G, 4-F, 2-C). Looks like we'll be seeing some 3-guard schemes. (Granted, some of those guards are more of a 3 than a 2.) Not saying its good or bad, just making the observation that it is what it is.

Post Script: I'm still trying to figure out how to expand the Roster Table to fill the screen using Photobucket. It may not be possible, so I am also exploring other image posting options.

Last edited by Zagineer; 05-19-2017 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks Zagineer... always enjoy your chart and comments.

I'm sure you won't see anything on Grace... if she doesn't make it official. Lisa may still be leaving the door open...

As for the team... there are a number of players that can play the 3 and 4 position. Depending on the opponent, players like CS, JT, JB, and the Wirths can play either big or small. At point, we now have 4 players. Can you imagine having LS, JL, KC, CS, and ZR on court at the same time.... you want to play small and run?? How about CS, LF, JB, LW, and EW... you want long and tall??

All and all... it's a game of one and done and putting it the hoop.

Another fun year ahead of us.

Go Zags!!

Thanks for the update Zagineer...

Although I have not seen a formal announcement, I have heard that EW has been granted a medical year if she chooses to use it. That will help out the post issue for another year.

Since Photobucket no longer is available for free, let's see if postimages.org will work.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, its actually better than Photobucket. I can read it without having to hit the Ctrl key and the + key three or four time. It's resolution is better than Photobucket too.

Good Bye, Photobucket.

Thanks Zagineer...

I don't know if you have seen it, but they announced this years roster on Facebook.
    I'm afraid Grace is not on the roster. There are 13 players total. Another year of 12 players that can contribute...

Go Zags !!

Thanks for the heads up, Skip. I did not know that. I'm on Facebook, but I don't visit every day. More like once every two or three days.

I see that gozags.com has also updated their roster publication to 2017-18.

I'll update the Roster format in this thread as soon as I get a chance, later today or this evening.

Here's an update to the current Roster for this thread, as of the published Roster on gozags.com.

[IMG][/IMG]

Let me know if you see any errors.

Go Lady Zags!!

A new member of the team has been added to the roster on gozags.com. Gillian Barfield from Pheonix, AZ. I wonder if she ever played against the Wirth sisters. Its so difficult to find information at the high school level for even basic data such as 2017 game schedules, or team rosters.

Here's the updated Roster.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Sadly, I have updated the roster below. We wish Emma all the best. But its not over yet. I read that she will be staying with the team. Her experience on the court in a Zag uniform and knowledge of the teams we play will be a significant contribution to the development of all the new players on the team in learning what it means (and what it takes) to be a Lady Zag. Hang in there, Emma. We need you to be there!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now that all the legal paperwork is done,........Welcome Kylee and Melody to Gonzaga!! We Lady Zag Fans are so thankful that you have chosen GU!!
    GO LADY ZAGS!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]