Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PACIFIC ARE VERY DANGEROUS TIGERS NOT TO BE TOYED WITH MANY POSSIBLE WEAPONS

Default PACIFIC ARE VERY DANGEROUS TIGERS NOT TO BE TOYED WITH MANY POSSIBLE WEAPONS

Most dangerous Tiger a Hybrid Guard in camouflage. #22 Higgins (6'1") does all her damage within the 3 point line. She has only made 6 three pointers on the year. She has a lethal jump shot from anywhere and loves to take it to the basket also. Caveat very good at getting to the free throw line had 11 attempts against us last game. Last game she had 20 points with only 7 FG attempts.
    #22 Higgins is averaging 16.2 points, 9 rebounds, has 81 steals, and 19 blocks. Pacific website is touting her as player of the year in the WCC.

#01 McDavid is averaging 15.1 points a game and was named to a power forward watchlist, one of 20 nominees nationwide. Note #01 McDavid game is all inside she has not attempted any 3 pointers.

This is a scary point Pacific has 5 players with double digit 3 pointers made on the team.

#21 Randhawa (6'2") had 23 points last game going (5-8) on 3 pointers. Would have to say she has been their 3rd most consistent player who is improving.

#32 Kahala (6'2") Center who comes off the bench is their big girl.

#23 Tillman (5'9") had 11 points last game against us.

Below is their double digit made 3 points list showing their 3 point shooting percentage:

#21 Randhawa 36% 3s.
    #14 Blakeslee 36% 3s.
    #03 Newman 36% 3s.
    #13 Cruz 35% 3s.
    #05 Tryggedsson 29% 3s.

1. My main key to the game get #22 Higgins and #01 McDavid in foul trouble. And if you do keep coming at them both not like last game, when we had #22 Higgins on the rope but let her fly in the 4th quarter playing with 4 fouls she played phenomenal.

2. Another big key is we must guard from the 3 point line not like last game against Drollinger.

3. The Truong's must pickup their defensive effort, not dribble into the corner where you can be trapped, not dribble the half court in a circle instead of passing, forget no look passes they only seem to result in turnovers, use your full court vision just do not telegraph your passes to opponents, don't get ticky tack fouls, and don't get ball stolen while looking at CLF. Your calm demeanor will help you greatly, you can do it young ladies.

4. Everyone is going to have to rebound.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-03-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Pacific is talented, but they have been big underachievers in the WCC this year. There is absolutely no reason they should be mired around .500 in the conference, they should be 2nd behind Gonzaga. I don't know why they've been struggling so much.

Seacatfan yes you nailed it right on the head they are underachievers (Danger Danger Beware). Pacific is one of those teams you do not want to play in the WCC tournament. Without Might Mouse each game we play gains more importance to us.

There is no secret as why the first game with Pacific was so close. Pacific scored more points than any other WCC team against the Lady Zags.

GU shot much more poorly than average: Overall Shooting Percentage = 38.9% (Ave=45.9%) & 3-point Shooting Percentage = 28.6% (Ave=40.7%)
    - Just shooting our average percentages would have given us 11 more points.

GU did not have their best defensive effort allowing Pacific to shoot much better than opponents of the Zags normally shoot.
    - Pacific Overall Shooting Percentage = 44.4% (GU permits Ave=34.3%) & 3-point Shooting Percentage = 36.8% (Ave=25.1%)

Lady Zags had 16 turnovers in the first game which is just slightly higher than normal but of those, there where 9 Pacific steals leading to 15 points off of turnovers which are much higher than normal. Ball protection by the guards needs to be a focus.

McDavid and Higgins did have some foul trouble and only played 27 & 23 minutes respectively. In Game 1, McDavid did not significantly impact the game, but Higgins was, by far an away, the largest problem for GU. She scored 20 points in her 23 minutes on 6-7 shooting overall, 2-2 shooting from 3 and 6-11 free throws. Yes, 11 free throws. Higgins shot 11 of Pacific's 17 total free throws. Need to have much better defense on Higgins while not fouling. A large task.

Lady Zags need to be focused on the game and play their relentless defense and I think they have this game covered. Not focusing on the game, playing a little lazy on defense or have another poor shooting night and Pacific would love to take this one from Gonzaga.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Jenn was 10-13 FG last game, 4-6 free throws, 24 points I would love a repeat performance. LeeAnne was in foul trouble early last game. Jill and LeeAnne both fouled out so we also had some limiting factors last game.

While Pacific does not have really tall players like BYU seems like they have a lot of players 6'0-6'2".

This game will be a big test for our Freshman on defense, and our defense as a whole. Scoring wise am very confident.

Last game #01 McDavid only had 1 foul. #23 Tillman had 4 fouls but was still effective with 11 points. #32 Kahala (6'2") Big Girl also had 4 fouls real quick which helped us a lot and made her a non factor.

Pepperdine got the 1. Key down to victory got both Higgins and McDavid in foul trouble both ended with 4 fouls. Final score Pepperdine 59 Pacific 54. Zags coaching staff should watch that game as a example how to play Pacific.

Also as previously pointed out before, you can start new defensive stats starting tomorrow for the Zags. One of the defensive main cogs of the previous stats has been removed, a new norm must be proven and obtained.

Must work on Key #1 still feasible.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-03-2020 at 10:47 PM.

CLF going to be on KHQ local news 0615 for you early risers Tuesday morning.

63 degrees in Stockton, Ca. on Thursday and 66 degrees in Moraga, Ca. on Friday. Enjoy the warm sunny weather Lady Zags.

Returned to my only Winter sport Snow Shoveling today alas winter is not over.

Default PACIFIC ARE VERY DANGEROUS TIGERS NOT TO BE TOYED WITH MANY POSSIBLE WEAPONS

Going to be a good game but I agree, the keys will be continuing the Zags relentless defense and getting their main three players in foul trouble.

I feel the Tigers dodged a bullet in our game because our forward Jasmine Jones went down against them with an ankle injury on the very first play. She gave them fits the time before last when we played.

Also your ladies must not "float" lazy passes with this team, especially with Higgins as she will run it out and score every time.

We're looking forward to trying to get a couple of road wins in the Bay area. Chelsey is very close to scoring 1,000 points total for LMU and she can accomplish this if she keeps her scoring up above 20 points per game, so she's very motivated. Last year against Santa Clara and SF she scored 26 points back to back and got WCC player of the week honors.

Good luck Zags, and I hope KC is doing as well as can be expected. Jas is walking on her ankle so looks like she'll be back in a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CG3Dad you may be getting a little overambitious on your daughters scoring goals (LOL). Hey but your daughter is only a Junior she will reach that plateau eventually. Glad to hear you got good news on your front.

Yes Thursday game for our defense will be very telling, hope we are up for the challenge. Some of us Zag Fans are very anxious about Thursday's game, seeing how our team responds after the adversity of events from the BYU game. I think its important as a team we reestablish ourselves, and reinforce our confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    CG3Dad you may be getting a little overambitious on your daughters scoring goals (LOL). Hey but your daughter is only a Junior she will reach that plateau eventually. Glad to hear you got good news on your front.
    Ha. Yeah...gives her something to shoot for. Aim high!

Last year she averaged almost 17 PPG and this year she's slightly under. Still waiting on a 30 point game (or two). Freshman year she was injured (scored only 93 points total) most of the season, probably should've redshirted....hindsight being 20/20. She'll get it definitely as a senior.

She called me yesterday and asked "Dad, how many points total do I have?" (She just assumes Dad keeps track of those sorts of things!?)

Admittedly...her #1 Fan DID know LOL

Best wishes Zags. See you in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-game review from the Spokesman:

Rotation reshuffle: Gonzaga women have several lineup options following Katie Campbell injury
    UPDATED: Wed., Feb. 5, 2020

By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

The Gonzaga women don’t have a choice. They must move on without senior guard Katie Campbell, who suffered a knee injury in Saturday’s win over BYU. Exactly how that will happen is anyone’s guess, and probably won’t be revealed until Thursday night’s game at Pacific. The Zags canceled Tuesday’s regular media availability, leaving everyone guessing as to who will start in Campbell’s place and how her 28 minutes per game will be divvied up down the stretch of the season. And citing privacy rules, GU also hasn’t shared details on the severity of Campbell’s injury, though she is definitely out for this week’s crucial road trip to Pacific and Saint Mary’s.

No single bench player can replace the all-around abilities of Campbell. The senior from Oxnard, California, is best known for her sweet shot from beyond the arc: 43.1% so far this year. However, she also shoots 42% from the field, and despite her 5-foot-10 height and lean frame has grabbed 3.6 rebounds per game. Campbell also has 42 assists and a team-high 38 steals.

Barring a complete collapse, an NCAA Tournament bid is a certainty for the Zags. However, to finish in the top 16 in the NCAA’s final pecking order – the prerequisite to host tournament games – they can afford at most two losses through the WCC Tournament.

Pacific (13-9 overall and 6-5 in the WCC) isn’t the best matchup for a team trying to adjust on the fly. The Tigers have lost four of their past six, but three of those were by 5 points or fewer.
    They also came the closest of any team to knocking off the Zags in Spokane, falling 68-67 on Jan. 11. In that game, guard Valerie Higgins went off for 20 points (on 6-for-7 shooting), seven rebounds and six assists. She also drew seven fouls from the Zags, who saw LeeAnne Wirth foul out.

“They were really physical and aggressive,” Kayleigh Truong said.
    Entire Article can be found here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-several-line/

I disagree with Mr. Allen, I think the most the Lady Zags can lose and still host is one (1) before the WCC tournament. I would just as soon not find out which of us is right.

You got this ladies, take down the tigers.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 02-06-2020 at 09:30 AM.

From the Pacific Web Site:

Pacific Returns Home to Face Gonzaga, Portland
    General 2/5/2020 4:09:00 PM

STOCKTON, Calif. - The Pacific women's basketball team (13-9, 6-5 WCC) will kick off the home portion of the second leg of West Coast Conference play this weekend, hosting Gonzaga and Portland on Thursday, February 6 and Saturday, February 8, respectively.

GAME INFO

Matchup: Pacific (13-9, 6-5 WCC) vs Gonzaga (22-1, 11-0 WCC)
    Date: Thursday, February 6, 2020
    Time: 7:00 p.m.
    Venue: Alex G. Spanos Center
    Links: Live Stats | Live Stream | Listen

WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
    - The Tigers are led down low by Katrina McClane Award Watch List honoree Brooklyn McDavid, who has registered a double-digit scoring performance in 17 of the Tigers' 22 outings this year while averaging 15.1 points per game this season.
    - Valerie Higgins became the first player this season to win two WCC Player of the Week awards after chasing a triple double (29 points, 11 rebounds, nine steals) at San Francisco on December 30. Higgins, a Preseason All-WCC selection and the reigning WCC Defensive Player of the Year, is tied for first in the WCC with nine double doubles, seven of which have come in conference play. Higgins has now logged 23 overall for her Pacific career, one short of tying Jane Romberg (1980-85) for fifth in program history.
    - McDavid is the seventh Tiger all time to grab 200 offensive rebounds, doing so in just 71 career games. She enters Thursday at 224 for her career, fifth all-time. McDavid also became the 24th Tiger in program history to score 1,000 career points with her first two buckets in Pacific's 64-63 win over Pepperdine on January 4.
    - Pacific ranks 27th in the country with 224 steals, with a WCC-leading 81 going to Higgins. The Granada Hills native is fourth in the nation in total takeaways. Her 81 after 22 games this season already have exceeded last season, when she logged 72 takeaways through the Tigers' first 22 contests on her way to being named the WCC Defensive Player of the Year. Higgins averages 3.7 takeaways per contest this season and set a new career high at San Francisco (Dec. 30) with nine, which ranks fourth all-time in single-game steals in Pacific history.
    - Pacific has outscored its opponents off the bench in all but six games this season and has done so in nine of the 11 WCC contests played this season, including a 28-20 advantage at Pepperdine last Thursday and 13-4 in January against Gonzaga. The Tigers entered this season with seven redshirts on the roster and have seen significant contributions from each, particularly from Loretta Kakala, who set a career high against San Diego (Jan. 18) with 15 points on 7-of-11 shooting.

BY THE NUMBERS
    81 - Valerie Higgins has logged 81 steals this year, fourth in Division I and first in the WCC
    17 - Brooklyn McDavid has scored in double figures 17 times this year
    24 - McDavid is the 24th Tiger to reach 1,000 career points
    3 - Pacific has won three WCC Player of the Week awards this year (Higgins 2, McDavid 1)
    224 - McDavid has grabbed 224 career offensive rebounds, fifth in program history

LAST TIME OUT
    Pacific went 1-1 at the turn of WCC play last weekend with a hard-fought 59-54 loss to Pepperdine on Thursday, followed by a 87-70 win over LMU on Saturday that got the Tigers back into their offensive groove.
    Kaylin Randhawa averaged 18.0 points per game for the weekend, recording a career-high 23 points and five threes in Saturday's convincing win over the Lions.
    Loretta Kakala scored in double figures for the second time in three games with 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting at Pepperdine.
    Pacific converted 13 of 15 from the free throw line Saturday afternoon.
    Valerie Higgins recorded five steals against the Lions to give her 81 on the season, currently fourth in Division I.

SCOUTING THE BULLDOGS
    Gonzaga enters Thursday's return game with the Tigers as one of the hottest three-point shooting teams in the conference and nation. The Bulldogs are firing 40.7 percent from behind the arc, third in the country, led by Katie Campbell's 43.1 percent.

On the other end of the floor, the Bulldogs yield just 51.3 points per game, a mark that leads the conference and is third across the nation.

TRACK THE ACTION
    Don Gubbins will have both audio calls from the Alex. G. Spanos Center on Pacific All-Access. Fans will also be able to view the live action on the WCC Network. Live stats for both contests will be available on pacifictigers.com.
    Article Link: https://pacifictigers.com/news/2020/...-portland.aspx

ZagDad

GAME TIME!!!!!!!!

GAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Board members note that tomorrow's game time is 7:00 PM, not the usual 6:00 PM

ZagDad

It sounds like Katie won’t be making the trip, assuming that’s the case who would you start if you’re the coach? I’d go with K11.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag Swagger View Post
    It sounds like Katie won’t be making the trip, assuming that’s the case who would you start if you’re the coach? I’d go with K11.
    Yes, I think K11 will start.

I think that both JL and K11 will both spend time playing point at some time during the game.

ZagDad

I would say LF. She has been first off the bench for the 2 or 3 spots. But I would say that K11 will play more. And I think K14 will see more playing time. First of two road games... will need to fill the rotation.

While Katie will be missed on this trip... probably best for her health. Wish her well.

Go Zags!!

Jill has broken nose from last game, will be wearing protective mask for todays game.

KC is with the Lady Zags tonight.

She is wearing a brace on her knee but she is walking without crutches.

Keeping our fingers crossed.

ZagDad

Had a let up 2nd quarter when Jenn went to bench 2 fouls. VJ had some rough sub minutes. Defense sagged second part 2nd quarter, lot of open 3s.

Ok Jenn will be back on court in the 2nd half lets hammer them as a team Lady Zags.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 02-06-2020 at 09:11 PM.

copying to this thread.

Lady Zags sagging into the key and are just flat late getting out to the 3-point line.

Pacific killing us from "3" shooting 6-9 or 66.7% from 3.

After holding Pacific to 14 points in the 1st quarter, Zag's implemented the "sieve" defense giving up 24 points in 2nd quarter. Largest Zag lead 35-19 (16 points) and then let Pacific bomb away from 3 to get right back into the game.

Players continue to overhelp leading to open 3's and offensive rebounds by Pacific. Pacific has 4 O-boards leading to 10 2nd chance points and the zags have the big goose egg.

Zags playing great offensively, need to get their defensive heads screwed on for the 2nd half.

Let's go ladies,

ZagDad

For those who participated, K-11 started for KC tonight.

Very good 3rd quarter so far. At the under 5:00 timeout, Zags up 55-42.

ZagDad

Much better 3rd quarter Zags up 62 - 48.

Interesting that K-14 was running the point with K-11 playing the #2.

ZagDad

Nice 3rd quarter lady Zags. Lets keep pushing 4th quarter no let up bring the hammer, close it out Gonzaga style. 62-48 Zags lead.